1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bumper blocker

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by bwilson4web, Dec 2, 2006.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hi folks,

I found a pool product last summer called a "water noodle" that is a foam plastic cylinder the same size as the front bumper inlet. A quick slit on one side and it fits right over the center, horizontal grill of the NHW11 Prius:

[​IMG]

This is the part:

http://www.pooltoy.com/waternoodle.html

It is easy to shape with a knife. Designed for swimming pools, it is water proof, soft, and probably UV resistant. For less than $5, it is an affordable solution.

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you don't mind me asking, does it get cold enough in Alabama to need one of those?

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It gets cold enough in Missouri...I'd imagine parts of Alabama would too. I used pipe insulation...one piece was long enough to cover both the upper and lower grill...The lower I just wedged the edges in the grill slits and it holds well...the top I used zip ties to keep it in place as it didn't wedge quite as securely.

I would NOT block the lower grill at any temp above freezing without some means of monitoring ICE and/or coolant temp and Inverter temp. And I wouldn't block the upper grill above 50 degrees without being able to monitor ICE temp.

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Dec 2 2006, 10:36 AM) [snapback]356689[/snapback]</div>
    Fortunately, I have a Graham mini-scanner and am currently monitoring both ICE temperature and have thermister in the transaxle oil pan. For those concerned about inverter cooling, it is easy enough to cut a slot in the lower section to provide more air.

BTW, Huntsville is in north Alabama, the Tennessee Valley and it does get cold enough to impact Prius mileage. We tend to have a little longer spring and fall, just south of the boundary with really cold winter weather. The occasional 'ice storm' and tornado led to my inverter modification:

[​IMG]

Bob Wilson

5. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Dec 2 2006, 11:43 AM) [snapback]356692[/snapback]</div>
    I hear what you are saying on ice storms and tornadoes. Knock on wood. I still cringe when I hear the name Fran, and Floyd doesn't bring back especially fond memories. I'd like some more details on that inverter, is it attached to the 12V battery? How many watts AC is it? Thanks!

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Dec 2 2006, 12:08 PM) [snapback]356708[/snapback]</div>
    It is a full 1kW. The details are here:

http://hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius/priups.html

I understand the NHW20 Prius has the same sort of 12VDC capabilities. We've used it twice:

- winter wind storm took power out for 12 hours and we ran the gas furnace in 40F weather.
    - fall storm (Katrina tailings) took power out for 18 hours and we used it to run a 5,000 BTU window AC.

Both times, it worked exactly as planned. The only enhancement I'm working on is to put in-rush thermisters on the TV and laptops so we won't have a short sag from them.

Bob Wilson

7. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Dec 2 2006, 10:36 AM) [snapback]356689[/snapback]</div>
    I ran some short tests today in 50F (10C) weather. My first concern was to check cooling at 65 mph to find out if there might be a problem:

- MG2 inverter temp - dropped from 38C from the on-ramp to 25C two miles later
    - MG2 inverter temp - saw a peak of 48C at 65 mph

This was a short, 5 mile test, but enough to give confidence for an 80 mph hill climb test.

Bob Wilson

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I don't worry about any of it getting too hot with the temp below 15C, about 60F. When the afternoon temp get's to that average I pull the lips out and wait till fall to put them back in. I have a nasty 1 mile 10% grade that the traffic normally goes 80 KHM, 50 MPH the highest I've seen either MG temp is 64 and that was on MG1, MG2 about 8C cooler. Most of the time the ICE temps are around 87C thermostat opening temp, and hover there unless I'm stuck in slow traffic or want to get the interior warm. I normally have the temp set for 20C, about 70F as I'm sortof cold blooded and that's a good temp for me, If she's with me add 10F. I just made a lower grill block for her 2k4 and took it for a good long drive and there's no chance of it over heating as well. Made it to 83C on a hill with the interior temp set to where she likes it and in S4 way earlier than with out the blocker. I'm not worried about it as she's monitoring the ICE temp and have told her is she see's in the 90's to bump the heater up and open a window.