1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bumper damage and what is this vent?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by noname87, Apr 29, 2014.

1. noname87

noname87 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just got rear ended (again!). I was hit on the rear driver corner, The damage appears to be to the bumper cover and a small dent on the quarter panel behind the bumper. My question is what is the vent behind the bumper for and does the flange of the vent duct sit flush with the quarter panel. Is it physically attached to a duct or is it a stand alone part? It looks like the dent causes a small gap at the top corner. Would this be an issue? Part of me wants to replace the bumper skin and fill the gap with silicone if necessary. The metal bumper and energy absorber look fine.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are two vents at both rear fenders, and the purpose of them is to allow air out of the car when you slam a door with the windows up.

3. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Additionally, they let air out of the interior of the car when windows are rolled up and the climate control is set to exterior air instead of recycle. I'll bet they also serve a vital function in equalizing pressure in the event of an airbag deployment.