1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

bumper/Hood Bra?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by dblack, Dec 13, 2012.

1. dblack

dblack New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just purchased a Prius that needs some TLC.

Among other things , the front bumper cover is broken near the DS wheel. While I get the other issues attended to, I would like to just put a bra on the bumper to cover that up but I'm not sure if it would still mount due to the damage.

If any of you have one or know if it would work, let me know.

Attached Files:

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would make a few speculative guesses here.

First of all somebody having similar damage and deciding to "fix it" using a bra, might be relatively hard to find.

Secondly? If you want to use a Bra to hide that damage? I'm guessing with Duct tape, cardboard or some other material....it could easily be possible. I'd bet there is someway you could MAKE it work.

If that's the low budget way you want to go? Even if it takes some imagination with the application of a few other materials...I'd think it could be made to work.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a pretty big hole. I doubt a bra would attach solidly, or stay there at speed. Plus, they cause problems of their own, with grit getting underneath and scratching the paint. For an emergency fix, I'd go with some duct tape, just to keep all the parts moving in the same direction at once, and to prevent further damage. If water ingress is a concern, you could use something like coroplast to fill in for now.

4. dblack

dblack New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I didn't think somebody would have hid similar damage with a bra, rather someone that has installed a bra could check the pictures and see if it still would be able to mount.

The inner fender and all lower mounting points look to all still be fine.

I may just end up getting a new cover. It looks like painted ones are 300ish shipped from eBay.

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Most of the bra would attach normally, but there'd be at least one 'bendy thing' that would have nothing to hang on to. It would likely flap around in the breeze. Plus, even the thin vinyl would not be enough protection for some fairly expensive components that are exposed, like the thermos bottle.

I'd say that's the wiser thing to do, especially given what sounds like a reasonable price.

6. PruisAz

PruisAz Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I personally would not cover the missing bumper/fender with a bra cover. The whole integrity of the front end is in question as well as the shaking and movement of front end during driving and compromising the car's ability to be 'safe'. Shaking promotes more loose screws holding other plastic shields. I personally had a Toyota Matrix inner wheel well cover get missed up at Firestone and it ended up in severe rubbing issues and with dust and mud getting all over the inside of the wells and engine. I put a new one a week later and what a differance. Smooth ride.

Instead of purchasing a $70-90 bra, price what the cost of a used bumper/fender at a wrecking yard will cost you if getting it repaired at a repair shop is out of the question. Same color would be a plus.

7. dblack

dblack New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't see how the whole integrity of the front end is in question. The inner fender and all bracing is still there, its just the piece of outer cover missing.

Its a moot point though, I just purchased a new cover for 275.

Its been an expensive day... ~500 for tires, 175 for 12v battery, and now 275 for the cover.... I've almost got 4k in this thing now :)