1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bumper Scrapes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by raysullivan, Jan 12, 2005.

1. raysullivan

raysullivan New Member

Does any one have any bumper scapes yet?

I plan to get a 2005 soon, but one of the few faults I can find with the Prius is those darned plastic bumpers.

City parking means people actually bump my bumpers, and the paint inevitably gets scraped or chipped away.

Has this happened to any Prii out there?

I'd be curious to know if the toyota bumpers hold up any better than the ones on my `94 accord. I'd also love to know what colour the plastic is under the paint - it may affect my colour choice.

2. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

My Prius is silver... the plastic on the rear bumper is black... the metal under the paint on the hood is also black. If I knew then what I know now, I would have definitely gone with a darker color!! It's still a lovely car, scrapes and all!

:)

3. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Question: On the front of the Prius, underneath the front bumper -- is that plastic as well?

Last week I entered a driveway that had a short, but steep slope, entryway, and scraped the bottom underside of my Prius' front bumper on.

This left scratches on it (I can feel them, but not see them). If it's plastic, I'm not worried -- no one can see them; but if it's metal, I might worry that it would rust out eventually.

[This used to happen with my old '87 Honda Civic all the time -- except it had a very low metal frame near the front. I was always catching this frame on the concrete car stop in parking lots. I'll be more careful in the future with the Prius!]

4. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    wait... if its a metal bumper and it gets scraped... wont that be more expensive to replace?

5. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Plastic all the way, don't worry, Jeff.

6. rwithop

rwithop New Member

I bumped my back bumper, (stupid blindspot), and have the tiniest of dings now. It is small, but I have only had the car for two months. It's a shame to see everyone else's beautiful cars and see mine tarnished.

With regards to the bumpers, they cannot be simply popped out, like you would expect from a plastic bumper. Apparently there are solid pieces behind the bumper that can get bent too.

I don't think there is much you can do about bumping, except getting some rubber material adhered like the old metal bumpers used to have.

7. Tickwood

Tickwood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have rubber corner guards on the 4 corners of the car. I don't know where they can be bought as they were on the car when I bought it used. Take a look. Please excuse the dirt, we've been having some rain in California.

8. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Yessss... Thanks Danny!

9. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    My Prius is white and I had scratches on the rear bumper within 3 months. I have to park on the street and some bozo scraped the rear bumper Howerver, even though I'm normally a really great parallel parker, but this car is so much smaller than my old car (an Explorer) I had a hard time getting used to it and mucked it up even more. I tried to fill in the gouges and paint them with stuff from the dealership, but it looked bad close up.

My "wish" was answered (be careful what you wish for, you just might get it) in December when someone rear-ended my car while my boyfriend was driving it. He didn't get hurt (whew) and now I get a new bumper. I'm going to wrap the damn thing with pillows and bubble wrap after it is replaced!

amhouin likes this.
  10. nemmrack

nemmrack New Member

I actually was rear-ended on Christmas morning,(2 months after delivery) but luckily did not see any damage. When I checked again a couple days later after washing the car, I noticed two small gouges in the back bumper. Unfortunately they are from when I backed into my own garage door a few days before Christmas. :oops:
    Since the bumper is plastic and I don't have to worry about rust, am I ok to not get these gouges repaired? At first I was heartbroken, but now I kind of like them. They give her character. I just want to make sure that I'm not doing any more damage by not getting them fixed.