1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bumper sticker to remind others to check their tire pressure for MPG

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Tekdeus, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Tekdeus

Tekdeus Shifted to Green

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi folks, after reading that over 40% of vehicles on the road have underinflated tires that can rob a lot of fuel economy(link below), I had an idea for a bumper sticker designed to remind others to check their tire pressure. Please feel free to share your opinions or alternative suggestions.

Low Tire Pressure
    Can Cost you 3 MPG
    Check Yours Today!

A bumper sticker like this can help the environment immediately, because so many people forget to check tire pressure and don't know it affects fuel economy; and since they are already in their car driving, they are much more likely to take action right away. Any recommendations on the best place to create and order these in an easily removable vinyl?

Info link: Snapshot: effect of tire pressure on rolling resistance - MetroMPG.com

I also heard that Mythbusters did some testing and found that 40psi yielded a 6% increase over 35psi:

[​IMG]

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Don't bet on anybody taking action. 99% won't or don't care.

3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I share 32kcolors lack of confidence that it will be effective. But if you want to do it go for it, it's a good cause.

May I suggest a slight change in wording

Low Tire Pressure
    Can Cost you 3 MPG
    Please check Yours Today!

Whatever you do don't use mythbusters numbers as an example, the test at 10 mph is obviously bogus so discredits their test even though the +pressure numbers look reasonable.

4. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm also doubtful this will have any meaningful positive effect...and will open you up to negative responses.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Simplify!

Air, My tires are full of it! Are yours?

6. Tekdeus

Tekdeus Shifted to Green

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With all the desperate penny pinching in this economy, you don't think someone would consider a quick trip to the gas station to air up after becoming aware of a simple way to save gas?

7. Dweezil

Dweezil Cat Juggler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Your heart is in the right place, but I seriously doubt anyone is going to take advice from a bumper sticker on a Prius. Most people hate Prius's already, preaching to them from the rear bumper is just going to pour salt in the wound and open the driver (or car) to ridicule or vandalism. Think about it...you park your car in the Walmart parking lot, and go in to buy a new velvet Elvis painting for your trailer...you come back out, and someone has keyed your Prius because of the smug bumper sticker. No one likes being told what to do...even if it's common sense.

People are lazy. "You mean you want me to drive to the gas station, take readings from all four tires, then put air in them???" If they can't do it from the comfort of their driver's seat with a hamburger in one hand and a cigarette in the other, most folks are not gonna do it. I know people who drive aroudn with their TPMS warning light on for weeks because they're too lazy to take readings on their tires.

When I used to autox, I was amazed at how much difference ONE pound of air could make in a tire. So, I'm on board with keeping proper pressures in the tires...just not sold on preaching it from the bumper of my car.

8. b2j2

b2j2 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "A bumper sticker like this can help the environment immediately, because so many people forget to check tire pressure and don't know it affects fuel economy; and since they are already in their car driving, they are much more likely to take action right away. Any recommendations on the best place to create and order these in an easily removable vinyl?"

Unfortunately the person most likely to notice a bumper sticker ("School's Out" etc.) is the one who put it on!

9. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good idea but too complex. By the time they've read it all they'll have driven into you!

How about "Low Tire Pressure = More Fuel Used - Have you checked yours?"? Or something to make them think?

10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, it's quick and to the point, but IMHO most people will look at it, roll their eyes, think brief unkind thoughts about "preachy Green-Weenie Prius drivers" and go back to yacking on their cell phones.

However (comma) if you wanna adorn your car with the aforementioned sticker, and this sticker gets a couple of people to actually check their tires...who knows?

It might help a little.

11. priushippie

priushippie New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You might have to relate it to $ saved and the amount of beer that can be purchased with the $!!!

3 people like this.
  12. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    You might want to avoid it altogether for fear of feeding the Prius bias. Know it alls who preach to the unwashed. I still maintain that it isn't the car they hate it's the condescension.

1 person likes this.
  13. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Reminds me of the "Bin Laden Hates This Car" bumper sticker.
    I love it, but I know others would think, "Yeah and I hate your car, too"...KEEeeey. :O

Be careful about over inflating your tires, too. While higher pressure gives you better MPG's it also increases uneven wear (which leads to more tire purchases/disposal) and decreases traction when you're trying to recover from overcorrecting at higher speeds.

14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hate bumper stickers as a whole.

I've never been influenced in a concept of political or social importance because I pulled up behind a vehicle that happened to have a slogan for that issue slapped on the rear of their bumper.

I think most "bumper stickers" are an exercise in the individual driving the vehicle insecurely trying to create an outward self image....more than a sincere attempt at communicating a real thought or idea.

I could care less that "Your Child Is an Honor Student" or You (Heart) your Daschund.

You want to communicate something? Something important. Do it. Speak it, write it, find a platform with more sincerity than the back of your vehicle.

IMO vehicles are vehicles...and turning them into mobile billboards of for your own personal ideas and agenda's...

Well you are free to do it...but I think it's mostly a waste of adhesive and sticker.

Information about tire pressure? If you want to turn your bumper into a really boring public service announcement from Firestone...go right ahead.

15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If my co-workers are typical, it won't make any difference. "Princess Kathy" has a VW & her tires are "better" than mine. Although there have been many sessions of Jim's TP Class she doesn't check them often & believes in the dealer's spec which is much lower than max sidewall.

She likes to laugh at me with my "overinflated tires". That's fine. She's happy at her pressure & I'm happy at mine. We'll see who laughs when it is tire buying time.

The sad part is that those who can least afford it won't change the behavior that increases their expenses.

16. seal2cc

seal2cc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Key scratch invitation...

17. rsgillmd

rsgillmd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So something along the lines of "Spend money on beer, not gas. Check your tire pressure"? :)

But in all seriousness, I agree with the others. Probably wouldn't do much good, and would just make your car look ugly (unless the sticker covers up a scratch).

It's a sad world state we live in if people will key vehicles based on a bumper sticker.

18. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Moderator note:
    ***Not Prius specific, bumping over to Environmental Discussion.***

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Uneven wear? Our Prius' hydro edge tire pressures have been set at nearly 50lbs for over a half decade ... over 85,000 miles on 'em and the wear is PERFECT ... you can hardly tell they're wearing ... unlike the skuzzy Goodyear integrities that didn't make it to 13,000 before they were nearly BALD ... and ALWAYS set at the 'recommended' pressure. Thanks for NOTHING Goodyear. And the Bin Laden sticker?
    [​IMG]
    I think these stickers are GREAT for any PHEV or EV. Every 10 gallons of gas you save takes 5 gallons of profit out of the Al Queda flight school budget.
    ;)

tochatihu likes this.
  20. Steve McCracken

Steve McCracken Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am thinking of switching to nitrogen. :)