1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bumper too low!?!?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusHead05, Feb 21, 2022.

1. PriusHead05

PriusHead05 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just got a 2009 Prius and the front bumper is so low, that a small wheel stop in a parking spot grabbed hold of the splash shield and bumper. I had to lift up the front bumper as the car was put in reverse. It didn't really work because the splash shield is now pretty bent up and mangled. We did manage to get the car unstuck. But I'm wondering is this right? My 05 skimmed the wheel stops but never got caught in them. Is this normal? The only other thing is the previous owner replaced the front shocks. Would that be why it is about an inch too low?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it depends on the height of the wheel stop, but it could be the bumper. you would have to measure some gen 2's.
    many people get caught on them, so it is very possible there is nothing wrong with the bumper height.

SFO likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There was once a guy on here who would troll anyone with this common problem. He'd explain how his car doesn't have any scratches on it and he's never once scraped the front underside of the car... So annoying! As for the rest of us, the scraping is the sound that tell us to stop and we periodically get under the car with some smalls screws and a screwdriver gun to keep the withering splash shield from coming loose on the freeway. You can also re-order aftermarket replacement shields online for cheap.

srellim234 likes this.
  4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've never used those 'wheel stops' as actual wheel stops. I rarely ever even let my front bumper get within 6 inches of them, much less over them, lol. Not like a prius is a tight fit in a parking spot and needs to be as far forward as possible. An old land yacht like a '77 lincoln maybe, but a prii.

As for the rest of us, the scraping is the sound that tell us to stop.

I love this. :) and it made me laugh at how true it is sometimes.
    First thing I thought of was the sound of cars crunching so I can apply brakes, but I know what you mean.

PriusCamper likes this.
  5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My favorite part is how much attention everyone gives me the times when the splash shield is at its worst and makes a loud breaking sound when backing out. :)

6. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, it's annoying when I've been driving my Tundra around then hop into the Prius and drive up too close to those things...and hear that scrap!
    Another reason for adding a 2-3" lift kit to my AWD!!!

ColoradoCrow likes this.
  7. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Off Road Prius Kit is on my wish list. But life is first. Lol.

ColoradoBoo likes this.