1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Burning oil at same rate regardless of oil thickness --- What does it tell us?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AllenZ, Dec 13, 2013.

1. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My 04 started burning oil at 150K, at rate of 1qt/4K. But very soon it jumped to 1qt/2K. At around 180K, the rate accelerated to 1qt/500 mi, and since then, I switched from 5w30 to 20w50, same rate. I changed back to 5w30, but added burning stopper kind of products (thick like honey at room temp), which supposedly will develop a seal around piston ring, to reduce the burning. No effect so far, after one week.

I wonder does that tell something about where the leaking happens?

Since heat will make thick oil thinner, I would guess the leaking place has to be pretty hot (such as piston ring), so the thickness of oil does not make a difference. Am I correct? I never seen any oil dripping after overnight parking.

I got a quote from a local mechanics who knows Prius. It will cost me $1500 out of pocket for a 50-80K engine installed. Do you think that's reasonable? Do you have any suggestions on what other components should be replaced when doing this job?

Keep in mind that my 2004 Prius full option at 200K with fair body condition, if no oil leaking issue, probably can be sold around $5000 to $5500 in Chicago area.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sell is unless you are ready to replace the engine, and other big items to come in short order. There is a point in the life of any vehicle where it becomes a money pit. 200K miles on any car is doing good.

3. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's one thought I had. But from what I read, I did not see other big items replaced often on this board. The HV Battery is pretty good. Transmission is reliable too. What else? Bearings? Shock and Struts?

I thought if I can put in less than $2500 to extend its life another 100K, that will worth it. I drive quite a lot, 25K on average. 100K is only 4 years time, not too bad for components deteriorate due to age, not mileage.

But I will keep that option open of cause. Thank you!

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wish you luck. (y)

5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    $1500 for a used engine installed is a fair price I believe. The question is what else will break during the next 100K. Only time will tell. You might get lucky and everything else hold together. Or the transaxle may fail or another high dollar part on the Prius.

We all know that used cars are that, used. All used cars at some point or another need some sort of repair to get it going again. As stated above, at a certain point the car will become a money pit.

With luck, you may never reach that point, but it is inevitable. Also, buying a new car does not guarantee you no problems. All it does is give you a warranty in case a covered item breaks. How many of us have had to take a new car in for warranty work? If you think about that for a few minutes you will then agree that even new is not bulletproof. Generally a new car is better, but one has to remember that once you drive it off the lot, it is then a "used car".

Allen, I would suggest you look at your budget. Then decide whether a newer and or different car might be in order for you. If not, then do the repair and go from there. If it is in the budget, then pull the trigger and get something newer. I believe the best buy is to get a late model "used" car with low mileage. Those usually come with a factory warranty and generally have all the bugs worked out of them. Of course their is NO guarantee they will be problem free. You never know how the previous owner/operator of the car drove it, treated it and took care of it.

Best of luck to you.

6. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My goal has always been to lower the total cost of operating a car.
    I can afford a new car, but I don't like the higher depreciation cost even if it is not brand new.

The reason I am thinking about replacing the engine now (although don't have to) is because the mpg lowered from 50 to 40 (partly due to the cold weather). As the result, I need roughly 100 gallons of gas extra per year, which is $350. Plus the $200/year extra oil for total of $550/year. So if I replace it now, 3 years later will have a newer engine (150K by that time) for free.

Now, if I can find out what's exactly the problem, and can fix it cheaper, then I don't have to replace the engine. However, based on what I learned, replacing engine seems like the low cost way.

7. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No expert here, but the general consensus is the oil rings tend to wear out, plus some seem to think that the valve guides develop leaks over time. Oil usage is nothing new in the ICE. It has been going on since the ICE was invented a long time ago.

By the time you spend the money it would take to rebuild the engine to eliminate the oil burning, you would probably end up spending as much or not more than the $1500 you mentioned earlier.

FWIW, I think the weather has more to do with the lower MPG than anything else including oil usage. This year has been colder than normal. With that said it is expected that the MPG will drop more than usual.

8. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Based on your stated record of oil usage to miles, my best guess sitting in front of this monitor is the motor is just worn out. There can be other causes but this likely is what is going on. Either way, do what ya gota do.

9. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I know you have said there are no oil patches on the ground but at that leakage rate you may not be leaking while the engine is off and the car stationary. I have a 1987 Camry my daughter drives, which is leaking oil( The 3SFE motor is very prone to developing leaks as the silicon rubber gaskets shrink.) I.e. you look under and there are streaks of windswept oil on the body but none dripping off while stationary. Her oil loss is greater than yours.

Are you blowing smoke? Does the exhaust smell smoky? Check very carefully that it is not a leak. Some times cars can pull a lot of oil through the crank case breather too.

10. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There is no smoke out of pipe. If there is, I am sure I will smell it.
    Last time some said if PCV valve bad, it could causing oil burning. So I replaced the PCV, as well as the hose connecting it. Nothing changed.

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your oil control ring is past saving. Cylinder walls probably scuffed up pretty good. At 150K that's a very good run. But soon may consume to much oil.

I see many II engines on eBay quite reasonable. Hundreds of them. Lots of wrecks. Most are $500.
    $200 for FOB. And $700 labor so $1500 sounds right on the money.

Use Paypal and no worries.

12. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    AllenZ

Although many of those who've responded to your post are offering what they believe is the cause of the excessive oil consumption, it really doesn't matter now why or how. Your car has it and it's not going to go away no matter what you try now.

Your best option, IMHO, is to replace the engine with one from a junk yard. That is if you intend to keep driving it for another 100K miles. I wouldn't sell it after the repair. That doesn't make much sense. You might not get back what you put into it and why should someone else get the benefit of the replacement.

I believe you could sell it as is for $3500 and I'm sure someone (probably a mechanic) would swap out or rebuild the engine and drive it or sell it cheap to a friend or family member.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...I would try a couple things like M1 High Mileage Formula supposed to reduce oil losses. Also the expensive Redline synthetic I would possibly give a try to see if it loosens some deposits.

14. tivoboy

tivoboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In my opinion, here are your options listed in decreasing order of $$$/effort/effectiveness

Engine replacement
    Rebuild engine or re-ring pistons
    Piston Soak
    Various "Mechanic in a Can" solutions - Auto-RX, Kreen, Marvel Mystery Oil, Motor Honey...
    Thicker Oil, High Mileage Oil...

You might research Piston Soak which involves squirting a small amount of solvent through the spark plug holes to directly contact the rings with a full concentration of Marvel Mystery Oil, Kreen or whatever to try to free the compression and oil control rings

Make sure you don't start the car with too much liquid in the combustion chamber to avoid Hydro-Lock and engine damage

The piston soak seems to be a good balance between effort and results before mechanically tearing into the engine - particularly if you need to replace your spark plugs or PCV anyways

15. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota has had issues with alot of there motors with the oil return holes in the ring lands clogging. Sometimes
    a kreen treatment will help but after you have 150,000 the motor has seen its best days anyway. Clogging has alot to do with how well the motor has been treated oil quality wise I would imagine.

I would imagine a motor spending its life on M1 or better and a decent oci of 5-8K would not suffer from this issue.
    Somethings either gunking it up or poor lubrication.

Lets face it dyno oil is not happy when really heated up. It turns a burnt brown and attaches itself to the metal and if not changed out regularly gets quite nasty. What you see on the dipstick has little to do with whats really happening in a dino motor.

M1 and or better has no issue with very hot engine. I have been under the valve covers of dino life motors and m1 life motors (usually mine) and there's no comparison. You truly get what you pay for.

16. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for all the input! I will keep driving it while adding oil weekly at 1qt/600mi. If one day the oil consumption suddenly gets worse, say 1qt/300mi, I will go ahead replace the engine, which is budgeted.
    I tend to drive it until it drop dead one day. :)

17. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think it is reasonable to leave the engine as-is until you start to see visible exhaust emissions being produced.

Another concern is what is happening to your catalytic converter given all of the engine oil being burnt up, although at 180K miles that is also at or near end-of-life regardless.

18. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am about to do the emission test very soon. That will tell us something I guess.

Feri likes this.
  19. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I assume regular mechanics can do the Prius engine swap without much knowledge on hybrid system, correct?
    Thanks!

20. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

That is an assumption I would not make. A seasoned competent Mechanic with the proper Tech, Tooling and Reference material would be considered minimum. Specific experience is preferred and will yield best results for quality, time and ability to deal with abnormal situations as they occur.