1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Burning smell?? Two day old newbie

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by ndcoop, Nov 4, 2011.

1. ndcoop

ndcoop New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just purchased a new 2011 Prius II yesterday. I have noticed a mild burning smell on two occasions. The scent is that of an electrical cord burning or burning rubber. Less than 50 miles. Has anyone experienced this as a part of the break in period? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This smell is fairly common with a new Prius. You have the cabin heater, the engine, and all of the power electronics, all of which can smell hot. Obviously there shouldn't be smoke or too strong of a smell, but some is normal and will go away with time.

Tom

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This isn't uncommon with a new car. Sometimes surface oils left over from manufacturing burn off when the engine heats up. It shouldn't be a problem, unless you notice any smoke, or if it persists longer than a week or so. Even on an older car, a burning smell can occur after servicing if the oil change is a bit sloppy.

4. ndcoop

ndcoop New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks so much for the replies. It definitely relieves my anxiety.

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "*sniff sniff* Hmm, what's that smell?" is normal. Smoke, choking, or "Oh God! My eyes my eyes!!" is not.