1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Burning Smell

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gfshay, Mar 10, 2009.

1. gfshay

gfshay New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have 52,ooo miles on my 2006 Prius. It gets 46-50 mpg depending on driving. Last week had a smell of burning. It smelled like a plastic bag got caught on the tailpipe or when you drop oil on the hot engine. I stopped car, looked under hood and found no smell and nothing boiling over. All fluids were full. Last oil change and checkup at 49000 or so. The smell went away and now one week later came back. Both times were when going up a hill. Any suggestions except the obvious?

2. magruder

magruder Average Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So you smell the burning inside the car, but not under the hood? It only happens under load though. It seems like you would have to be able to smell it under the hood. I assume your car doesn't drip any oil on the ground. Nope sorry can't help. Patrick where are you?

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Was that the first time you drove up a hill that high/long? It may be that the battery control system had never been used that hard before, and it got hot enough to cause some plastic to outgas. That would be normal.

Make certain that the battery cooling vent to the right of the rear seat is never blocked in any way.

4. gfshay

gfshay New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    thank you

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is the cabin heater on? Maybe the two PTC electric heaters are producing the smell after a period of disuse.

If you continue to smell this unusual odor, I'd suggest raising up the car sufficiently so that you can look at the entire exhaust system to see if any debris is caught up. If no debris, then look at the engine and transaxle to see if there's a leak where oil can drip onto the exhaust.

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    One windy day, I managed to run over a black plastic garbage bag - empty - that was blowing around. Gawd did that ever start to stink, it melted itself to the catalytic converter

I ended up putting the car on my large ramp at my hobby farm, and using a gasket scraper to scrape all the residue off the catalytic converter.