1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Burnt plastic smell coming in from cabin and

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by WOODCHUCK213, Feb 14, 2024.

1. WOODCHUCK213

WOODCHUCK213 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi everyone,

New first time owner here. 09 2nd generation prius.

I bought the vehicle from a dealer at 178,000 miles for 5500 (good price i hope?). It's relatively clean for its age but the only gripe I have is this:

When I turn on the engine, no matter what the weather is, it smells like burnt plastic. At first I thought it was coming from the muffler cause there was a leak there. I replaced it, along with the suspension springs) but the smell it continued. I read somewhere on this forum that it is a common issue with 09s, and that it's probably a rubber hose that's around the battery that heats it up or something to that extent?.
    It really bothers my wife and she can't stand sitting in it so we always take her car. I want to find a solution to this but don't know how.

Also my second question is, if the car has records from being serviced every 2k to 5k at the Toyota dealership but the single owner of the vehicle missed its oil change for the last 10000 miles (idk why) , will it have a dramatic effect on the longevity of the vehicle to prevent it from going to 300k or possibly higher? Also, if there are any toyota techs on this forum, do you guys normally charge the battery at a specific interval? I see it says something about the battery in the service records but it doesn't specifically say battery replaced, only "battery inspection" does this mean they also charged it but left out the extra sentence to get back to more important things?

Thank you

2. Aloe

Aloe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a burnt smell coming into my cabin, but that dissipated after a few trips. It was strong though, and like you I read up on things here and the possibility of the battery hose causing the issue. For me, it turned out to be the inverter pump. I suggest you do a search on here and see if your inverter pump is working or not. It's easy to check.

WOODCHUCK213 likes this.
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Aloe is correct. A common source of an acrid plastic/rubber burning smell is the inverter cooling water pump failing. It's worth looking into. The bottom of the pump case has a soft rubberish potting material that gets hot and starts melting/burning when the pump fails electrically. AT some point, it eventually pops the AM2 fuse, and the car will just shut off, essentially completely dead, even if driving. This pump is located directly behind the driver side headlight. It has an electrical plug on the pump body, but an also be disconnected using the 'one wire plug' located just above and to the passenger side of the under hood fuse box. The car can be driven with this pump disconnected but should be limited to lower speeds since there won't be cooling flow through that system and the inverter will code out if it gets too warm. I've driven a 2008 about 20+ miles at 45mph with a failed pump, but it shouldn't be your first choice.

Whenever I buy a 'new to me' Gen2, that pump is on my list of things to replace asap.

WOODCHUCK213 likes this.
  4. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Plastic shopping bags melted onto the cat, muffler, or even the brakes can be very stinky. The time it happened to me it smelled like melted paraffin, and it took almost a month for it to fully burn off. Anyway, if this is the problem underneath the car you will find a thing black mess on some chunk of metal that gets very hot.

10K miles between oil changes might be OK, but only if they were using synthetic oil. At that mileage it probably burns some oil. As long as they kept adding oil, which might not have made it into the service notes, no serious damage should result. But the oil would have been very dirty.

If you think it is coming from under the hood get the car into a stinky state and then carefully sniff around under the hood. There are moving parts and hot surfaces, so I do mean carefully!

5. WOODCHUCK213

WOODCHUCK213 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't expect more than one response. I'm grateful and will check the inverter cooler water pump. Thank you

6. WOODCHUCK213

WOODCHUCK213 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Aloe and TMR,

Would you guys recommend I buy the coolant valve too? I'm so clueless about this but if I'm going to spend money on labor I feel like it's better to be safe than sorry... what would you do?

7. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yes on the invertor pump. I would only buy a OEM pump from the dealership handed over the parts counter. Remove the driver side headlight to make it easy for yourself videos on you tube.. also clean your hybrid battery fan and check the air filter of leaves\junk. Report back and we can help more.