1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

burnt smell in cabin

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rudyp, Jul 10, 2006.

1. rudyp

rudyp Junior Member

I have noticed a smell coming from the rear vent, thats making a burnt smell. Is this normal electronics smell or may I have a problem?
    Its starting to anoy me. I'll drive with the widows open today and try to air the car out. I have 2500 miles on the car and its only 2 months old. That new car smell has been replaced with this burnt smell.
    any thought?

Rudy

2. c4

c4 Active Member

Is it really a burnt smell or a mild phenolic (if you're old enough to remember warm Bakelite, it's a very similar smell).. The phenolic smell is from the battery warming up and in my Classic, it's usually quite noticable for a short period about 30 seconds after starting the vehicle and going into reverse, and then it usually disappears for the rest of the drive..

A real burnt smell on the other hand, indicates something very wrong and you should get it checked out before driving too much further..

3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Aha! "Sniff your duct" thread vindicated:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=13156
    often is a little stronger after EVing my way in the last bits
    toward home. This, I'll point out, is also what people misinterpret
    as "very long lasting new-car smell".
    _H*

4. rudyp

rudyp Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Jul 10 2006, 11:02 AM) [snapback]283817[/snapback]</div>
    I checked the past forums and saw what you were talking about. I had the windows open today and it kinda went lighter. So I will see when i leave work today .
    THANKS I'm glad I'm not alone on this

5. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Look under your car!
    I had a terrible burning smell in my old car and it turned out to be a stray plastic bag attached itself to the exaust manifold and was sending fumes into the car....