1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bush and Hu

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bob Allen, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Can you believe our jackass president actually had the arrogance to ask the Chinese president not to hoard the world's oil supplies?!?!

2. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Can you believe Hu *snubbed* Bush by visiting Gates at HIS home first?

:lol:

Guess they're 1 for 1.... lol

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob Allen @ Apr 21 2006, 03:05 PM) [snapback]243272[/snapback]</div>

Can you believe our jackass Democrats in Congress who did not allow us to drill in ANWAR even though the citizens of Alaska supported drilling? Two million barrels per day sitting in the ground....

Can you believe our jackass Congress who have not allowed another refinary to be built in the US since 1971?

Can you believe our jackass Congress who has prevented the development of safe nuclear power - so we can emulate our european allies in depending upon nuclear power more than on power derrived from fossil fuels (france - 70% of all power generated is via nukes)?

Can you believe that jackass Senator from Cape Cod who prevented the deployment of a windmill farm in his home state to further decrease their dependance on foreign oil?

Can you believe our jackass Congress who has prevented us from drilling for oil off of our shores?

Now that the world has only a 1,000,000 barrel a day production buffer vs. the normal 4-6,000,000 buffer, I can't fault Bush for asking the chinese to stop buying futures for oil they are not going to use at this point until world production can ramp up to meet demands.

And now, a message from Mahmoud Ahmadinejad -- Iran has enriched uranium and has P2 centrifuges -- and in an effort to wield the power of nuclear weapons in a humanitarian way we will stop the passage of oil through the Straits unless the world does .............?

And I thought this Iraq war was for oil?? I guess it wasn't after all.

And those that thought it was for oil - please sit down and smile as you pay $3.00+/gallon; you obviously did not care about the price of oil from the get go.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob Allen @ Apr 21 2006, 03:05 PM) [snapback]243272[/snapback]</div>
    Forgot some other jackass's:

Our Congress again for failing to protect the makers of MTBE forcing oil refiners to drop it and move to ethanol before our production of it could meet demand. Image that... We don't even have distribution networks for it set up except trucking.

Our State Senators for at least temporarily dropping or reducing the state taxes on a gallon of gasoline. Imagine going after the oil companies trying to get back the "average American's" money back to him/her with an excise profit tax.... Not that that money will go to us but to the government ----- how about lowering or stopping state tax on gas if they are so worried about us and the economy. I think the democrats are more interested in using gas prices as a politcal tool rather than our pain and suffering.

And our Congress again - for allowing dozens of states to mandate different grades of gasoline be refined for their locals. Imagine if the limited amount of refinary capacity we have could be focused on ONE formulation of gasoline - you think that would help?????

I done. Too many jackass's to mention. Just got the top few off my chest.

Anyhow... Getting 57.2 mpg this tank on my one month old Silver #7. Going to fill her up and hedge that gas continues to go up over the next few weeks.

A nice weekend to all.

David

4. Mystery Squid

:standing ovation:/:thunderous applause:

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't believe Bush apologized to Hu when a protestor exercised her right to free speach...can you imagine Hu thinking "Yes, in my country such an outrage would never have been permitted and now you must bow to me in apology for your countryman's indiscretion."--ok, I think it was actually someone with foreign press credentials, but still... A president with more diplomatic skills would have both made light of it and made a statement in support of freedom of speach and individual freedom. Instead, we apologize...great.

I actually enjoyed the "Jackass Montra" above, but the ANWR thing gets my goat. There's just not that much oil there, it won't be accessible for about 10 years (at which point i PRAY we won't be so dependent as to need it), and just b/c >50% of Alaskan's support drilling there isn't exactly meaningful. There are a lot of people in Alaska who adamately oppose drilling ANWR, those who do support are primarily those who originally moved there to make money working for the Oil industry and now are out of work. Drilling in Alaska brings an incredible amount of money to the state...and money talks big. But just b/c you can buy a lot of people and a lot of politicians with it doesn't make it the moral, ethical, or environmentally right thing to do.

6. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 21 2006, 03:48 PM) [snapback]243296[/snapback]</div>
    Agree that Bush should have bashed Hu on that instead of cowtowing.

And, I am glad that I amused you - what did you think about my other "montras"?

Returning to ANWAR - the market reacts to the actions being taken to provide more oil to the world's marketplace too. And more importantly, call it a difference in political beliefs, I am a States Rights believer. I think that if the people in Alaska wanted to drill than so be it. (Same thought holds for abortion - and I am pro-abortion). And I think that if the big bad oil companies wanted to invest several BILLION dollars of their own money into developing ANWAR - it probably has enough oil to provide an adequate return on their investment. For sure I am not an expert in oil reserves or derriving the amount of oil that can be extracted from ANWAR - I leave that decision to the marketplace.

7. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I agree with some of the comments here except the one about Democrats in congress. There aren't any left there! Even Kennedy doesn't qualify anymore with his wind farm position.

But the biggest problem is Bush telling the Chinese not to use up our own world oil supply, and in the next sentence just about telling them to keep growing their economy and putting us all out of work. Maybe they're supposed to buy the nuclear power from Iran?

8. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tomdeimos @ Apr 21 2006, 03:58 PM) [snapback]243306[/snapback]</div>
    They are the ones supplying them the technology along with the russians who are building their processing facility for them. That high speed torpedo iran tested two weeks ago was russian. Arm that with a nuke and kiss an aircraft carrier and 5,000 American lives goodbye. We must all face the facts that the world will not join us again in trying to stop iran from going nuclear. If you think gas prices are bad now, wait until one second after iran announces they have a nuke.......

And true Democrats would be looking for ways to help us, not use it as a political weapon. A shame what has happened to my party - my Dad was a campaign chairman for them - used to go door to door with him election time. Where is JFKennedy, Truman, FDR - Democrats who protected America and stood up to those who wished us harm?

9. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 21 2006, 03:48 PM) [snapback]243296[/snapback]</div>
    :rolleyes:

I wonder how you'd feel, if at some medical conference somewhere, you were making a presentation on something or other, and someone totally against your position started shouting in a similar fashion.

Actually, he was being MORE diplomatic by playing it the way he did. You don't exactly "rub" things like that in the face of your guests. Particularly with China. Brilliant idea, let's just challenge them instead. Gee, that sort of 'in-your-face' idea is more indicative of red-faced irrational Republicans...

It's attitudes like that, that trigger hatred/spite, and ultimately, confrontations...

10. BellBoy

BellBoy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    On a humorous note...I was looking for a linked story on another subject at the NY Post (whatta rag) and caught this. The picture with that headline is hilarious. :D

11. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

If you are used to reading my posts you can see I consider myself progressive. That said, I admire and respect the Neocons for having an agenda...any agenda. The democrats as so spineless and rudderless that they deserve all the wrath the whole country spews on them. They are blowing opportunities almost daily. They're useless!

12. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 21 2006, 04:33 PM) [snapback]243314[/snapback]</div>
    I have had that happen - quite funny - usually just by playing innocent bystander and letting them make a fool of themselves is sufficient. I wonder though if the heckler was planted after Bush was made to look like a fool by Hu in China when he was trying to leave and the door was locked --- a little pay back.

13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 21 2006, 03:33 PM) [snapback]243314[/snapback]</div>
    I didn't say anything about rubbing it in his face MS, but then the details never are that important are they. I said I think there was a better way to go about it.

This was not a medical conference, it was a political event. Disagreements with the presenter's points of view are welcome at conferences...in fact time is alloted at the end of lectures for discussion. Do you think there was any time alloted at the end of the press conference to discuss these issues?

14. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 21 2006, 05:21 PM) [snapback]243345[/snapback]</div>
    Yes you did:

Yes, let's make a "statement". "Statement" does sound better than "rub" I suppose... You're quite right about the details though, I prefer to focus on what actually happens when the rubber-hits-the-pavement, so to speak...

Thankfully no. There's a right time, place, and way to deal with everything...

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 21 2006, 07:34 PM) [snapback]243438[/snapback]</div>
    Guess we'll have to wait until we get a diplomat in the office for that... :rolleyes:

And making a statement and rubbing someones face in something are distictly different..it all has to do with how it's done...but those are subtlties of the language our President hasn't yet mastered.

16. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 21 2006, 09:27 PM) [snapback]243452[/snapback]</div>
    No, please don't try to spin out of that, making a "statement" as such is, in ANY form is risking a confrontational stance, most certainly NOT the brightest move.

Could your hatred of Bush bleed through even MORE??? :lol:

17. momfortheenvironment

I bet not all the people in Alaska want the drilling. Yes they stand to make money, but just in the few months I lived there, besides being blown away by its pure beauty, there are many people there for the beauty. Alaska is bigger than texas and so I bet the area they want to drill seems far away to many. I saw the pipeline and although they really seemed to have tried to have minimal impact it does. The animals know its warmer near it in the winter, the permafrost is less frozen, alaska has earth quakes so they tried to make it move if one hits, but if it breaks open.................
    Drilling up there will just contribute more to the issues of global warming and feed our dependance on gas. Its time to find alternatives. The 70's were a warning. I'm glad some country heard it!
    Asthma is on the rise in the east possibly due to pollution is one theory, and I've just been diagnosed. I have a 5 year old and all I can think is this world better not be a mess for him because of greed. Yea l'd love to be rich but not by putting people out of work or messing up the environment! :( :angry: :eek: :unsure:

18. BellBoy

BellBoy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 21 2006, 01:55 PM) [snapback]243322[/snapback]</div>
    Like the idiot needs any help...heh! :D

19. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Can we please have these discussions in Fred's???? In the Main Forum I supposed that Democrats, Republicans, liberals, and conservatives could focus and get along with a topic - the Prius.