1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bush concedes CIA leak

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by etyler88, Jul 19, 2007.

1. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm aware of the fact that perhaps somebody in the administration did disclose the name of that person," Bush said. "I've often thought about what would have happened if that person had come forth and said, 'I did it.' Would we have had this endless hours of investigation and a lot of money being spent on this matter? But, so, it's been a tough issue for a lot of people in the White House. It's run its course and now we're going to move on."

He also defended the decision to commute Libby's sentence. "The Scooter Libby decision was, I thought, a fair and balanced decision,"

Pull out your arrows and let him have it. Too bad I am fresh out of Bush effigies.

Will the string you pull to make him talk be removed when he leaves office?

2. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(etyler88 @ Jul 19 2007, 04:02 PM) [snapback]481811[/snapback]</div>
    Bush could kill and rape a neo-con idolizer's daughter and would still accept the excuse that it were necessary for the fight on terrorism.

3. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Asked in June 2004 if he'd stand by his pledge to fire anyone found to have leaked, Bush replied "yes." [Bush Press Conference: Savannah, GA, 6/10/04]

When the White House was asked specifically whether Karl Rove, Elliot Abrams or Lewis Libby told any reporter that Valerie Plame worked for the CIA, White House spokesman Scott McClellan said: "Those individuals -- I talked -- I spoke with those individuals, as I pointed out, and those individuals assured me they were not involved in this. And that's where it stands." [White House Briefing, 10/10/03]

"I don't know of anybody in my administration who leaked classified information. If somebody did leak classified information, I'd like to know it, and we'll take the appropriate action." [Bush Remarks: Chicago, Illinois, 9/30/03]

"The President has set high standards, the highest of standards for people in his administration. He's made it very clear to people in his administration that he expects them to adhere to the highest standards of conduct. If anyone in this administration was involved in it, they would no longer be in this administration." [White House Briefing, 9/29/03]

4. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bush only said he would fire the person if they were found, But did anyone ask Bush if he DESIRED to find out who made the leak?
    If the answer is "yes", then why pardoned Libby?

5. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Flipppety-Flopppety...

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    liarliarpantsonfire.

7. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(San_Carlos_Jeff @ Jul 19 2007, 05:25 PM) [snapback]481828[/snapback]</div>
    Was it not Richard Armitage who leaked information about Plame to Robert Novak and Bob Woodward? Did not Armitage leave the Bush administration in February 2005, 10 months before it was revealed that he was the one that told Novak? Isn't it true that Libby was not even charged with leaking the Plame information? Who exactly do you expect Bush to fire? Armitage? He's already gone.

8. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Jul 20 2007, 08:11 AM) [snapback]482149[/snapback]</div>

Why does Bush create this bad PR moment if he has an easy out. Either he is a dumb PR guy or there is more to it; like Cheney or Rove dictated the moves. Which do you think it is?

9. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(etyler88 @ Jul 20 2007, 09:21 AM) [snapback]482169[/snapback]</div>
    What do you mean "Why does Bush create this bad PR moment if he has an easy out."? Bush didn't come out of the blue and say what you quoted. He was responding to a specific question at a press conference.

What you quoted Bush saying was in response to:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("The Article")</div>
    http://weblogs.chicagotribune.com/news/pol...n_libby_ti.html

10. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

11. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bush had to commute the sentence, because as soon as Libby knew he'd be heading for the pen, he'd squeal on everyone who hasn't already been caught.
    This is how he's been silenced. You think this wasn't planned? He was bought and paid for.

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(etyler88 @ Jul 20 2007, 08:21 AM) [snapback]482169[/snapback]</div>
    Can't it be both?

13. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  14. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Jul , 05:11 AM)</div>
    Armitage was the first to leak it to Novak. Rove was the second. Rove also leaked it to Matt Cooper. Rove is still in the administration, is he not? HUH?

15. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wildcow cleared it up for me. I feel like I'm reading Bush's mind.

16. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Junior as father figure. Daddy says 'that's enough! Move on!' and expects the kids to cower and obey. HA! HA! HA! This kid is a teenager now and replies to dear daddy, FU old man! I can and will do better and you're irrelevant. Go suck eggs, pop!

17. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Jul , 04:44 PM)</div>
    Still waiting for marlin to reply to the above...

18. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prior to the investigation, there was no crime committed. Revealing that Plame worked for the CIA was not a crime. The Special Prosecutor knew early on who told Novak that Valerie Plame worked for the CIA. The context of the information came in Novak's questioning as to why her husband would be sent to Niger. According to Armitage, Plame suggested the job for her husband.

The key to Bush's stupid comment (yes, I said "stupid") was that he would fire anyone giving out "classified information". As the Special Prosecutor found, there was no disclosure of classified information in the Plame affair. The "stupid" part of the statement is that the Administration, and leaders in congress, routinely "leak" information to the press as part of the political process.

I'm sure those on the left can hold a few more hearings on this. That's certainly more important than actually doing something. Harry "Hold a Hearing" Reid today said they have had "100 hearings on Iraq, and we'll have 100 more!" How many of our soldiers are dying as your leaders hold hearings?

I'm just glad my political opponents are so incompetent they couldn't find their arses with both hands. Perhaps they can hold a hearing to find out why the only accomplishments they can claim are to hold hearings.

Like Governor Ptomaine, they all "hurumph, hurumph, hurumph" and then the Chair points his gavel and yells "I didn't get a 'hurumph' out of that guy!"

19. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Jul 24 2007, 10:49 PM) [snapback]484529[/snapback]</div>
    Le Petomane. I believe it's french for "fart addict".

I think Blazing Saddles sums up our govt quite nicely.

20. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Jul , 09:49 PM)</div>
    Republican talking point! You don't know if there was a crime committed or not.
    It was if the leaker knew she was undercover.
    According to Bush, stupid or not, Rove should be fired, yet he was not.
    Bullshit! The Special Prosecutor made no such finding! He could not make such a finding because of the sand that was kicked in his face by Libby.