1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

busted off wheel studs/lug nuts?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mountaintodd, Sep 23, 2018.

1. mountaintodd

mountaintodd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, I had the simple task to rotate the tires/wheels yesterday, and my dumb nice person over torqued the lug nuts while putting the tires/wheels back on and broke two of the studs off!! One on each wheel assembly. So mad! I hate it when you are trying to fix something, and end up making it worse. Errrrr!

So, I'm wondering what I need to do now? Can I have someone tap out the remainder of the stud and put in another one, and tack weld it on? Or, is it going to be more complex than that?

Thanks for all your time and help!

By the way, apparently the proper torque on these Prius lug nuts is approx. 76 lbs!!

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How many miles on your Prius?

If higher mileage, might be worth looking into new hub assemblies rather than new studs.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When I did that on a past car, I learned that tire shops can replace broken studs very quickly and easily.

Starship16 likes this.
  4. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yep. That's why I let them fellas do it. And all rotations and balancing is free, for life.

5. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Take the wheel off and pound it out

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. mountaintodd

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought that the studs could be replaced fairly easily! Thank God! My Prius only has 100,000 miles on it, so I really don't want to have to replace the whole hub assemblies! That sounds expensive! I would have taken it somewhere, but it wouldn't have been free, and I don't know of any place that I actually trust. For these reasons, I actually feel more comfortable doing the general maintenance/services on my own cars. Just a really stupid mistake on my part yesterday! Thanks again everyone!

7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How was this person related to you? And broke two? Holy moly liquid.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There's nothing about it that needs to be tack welded. The studs just press into place.

You can draw a new stud into place by starting it through the hole from behind and tightening a lug nut on it to pull it through (perhaps with a little spacer to get it the last little bit).

For pressing (not pounding!) the old one out, there are tools you can use that will just hook over the hub flange and let you tighten a threaded shaft to push the remains of the stud out. Your local auto parts store may let you borrow one (or pay a deposit that's refunded when you bring it back).

If you're thinking at all of banging or pounding on it, you may as well just go ahead and replace the whole hub assembly as suggested in #2.

Do you have a torque wrench to make sure this doesn't happen again?

-Chap

danlatu and NutzAboutBolts like this.
  9. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can use a "c" clamp, a socket, and a bolt to press it out and in. That's how I've done them.
    Works fairly easy. You do NOT want to pound it out! Unless you are taking the hub off and placing the
    flange against an open vice, or a socket to support the flange to pound it out.
    Walfart ALWAYS uses WAY TOO MUCH torque on the wheel nuts. They kept striping out mine on my Town and Country.
    They torqued the ones on my Prius to 85! I showed them in the owners manual that it's 76.
    They don't care. I just told them THEY are responsible when a rim brakes as I drive down the road.
    And I told the one manager SHE is the one my lawyer will come after the most! :)

danlatu, jerrymildred and KennyGS like this.
  10. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Many years ago when I got my torque wrench I was amazed how little it took to properly tighten wheel lugs. I suppose, only by dumb luck, I had not twisted off a lug.

So if it's any consolation, you are a member of a club counting in the hundreds (or thousands).

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not clear: you were doing this, or someone else??

Either way:

Wipe off the contact surfaces between inside face of wheel and wheel hub, maybe a sparing amount of antiseize, but keep the stud threads clean/dry. When putting on the nuts start them by hand, and spin them on using a socket and extension like a screw driver.

Snug them when the car's up, then when it's back on the ground torque them in a pentagram star pattern, 76 ft/lb's.

As far as replacing studs, compexity varies depending on the car. In your shoes I'd probably just take it to the dealership, get it done right.

12. mountaintodd

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It was me! I called myself something else, but I guess the auto correct/anti bad word wouldn't allow for it. I just feel like an idiot b/c I have some experience turning a wrench, but never worried about "over-torquing" lug nuts. Lesson learned for sure now! And, for all my vehicles!

Thanks for all the helpful advice!! You guys are great!!

No kidding, 76 lbs. isn't much! Almost scary!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Everyone seems to want to bounce a torque wrench. That's what walfart does.
    I tell them EVERYTIME, they refuse to listen.
    They don't even read the instructions that come with the wrench.
    They why if you want something done right, do it yourself! :)

14. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As long as your learned from your mistake, you'll survive.

Now take advantage of it and learn to replace a stud!!!

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I should add that all my experience with broken studs was while taking wheels off, not putting them back on. Lug nuts corroded to the stud, once on a car and twice on farm equipment. But in each case, someone else did the stud replacement (shop for car, dad for farm stuff).

16. mountaintodd

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    UPDATE! So, I called my local Toyota dealership and they said to fix the two broken studs it would cost $260! Said they charged $105 an hour. No thanks! Then I called a few local shops/mechanics, and they said that it would be about an hour to fix both, from $70-$95 for both. Of course that is better than the Stealership, but I'd still rather save the money and do it myself. I'm guessing that for $70 they would just "pound them out" because it isn't there car! So, I tried finding a "how to" video on Youtube, but there wasn't anything specific to the Prius. I think if I take the "above advice" and rent a press out and in tool from my local auto parts store, I should be able to do it myself. Just wondering if anyone knows whether or not the stubs will come out and in easily without having to remove anything other than the brake housings? I saw that some cars have backing plates and other parts that are in the way and won't allow the studs to clear and be pushed back in without removing more stuff. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks!

17. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This, new hubs will be new bearings also, do both, or, yes, the studs are knureled,and just pound out, any auto store has them, take a look, if there's nothing behind them, pound em out, and buy a torque wrench, it took a lotta torque to breakem

Just read asr's advice not to pound them out without absorbing the impact, sage.

18. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You might be able to use a socket and "C" clamp to press them out.
    I don't remember how much room is behind the back of the stud. Maybe use an open or box end wrench
    to fit in there.

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Eric the Car Guy has a video on stud replacement. He uses an air hammer which some people frown on, maybe damage the bearing. Also, at least with the Accord he's working on, it's impossible to install a new stud without complete removal of the wheel hub. To void this he grinds a bit off the stud head.

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No kidding. (n)

If you're going to replace the hub anyway, go ahead, bang, pound, whatever you want. (Though in that case you don't need to, because the new hub has its studs already.)

If your plan is to keep driving on the hub/bearing you've got, push the stud with a clamp. Pull the new one in by threading a nut on it.

The "official" clamp for the job is 09611-12010, but a clamp that works is a clamp that works.

Notice they're just using a bar between two other studs to keep the hub from turning, but running nuts down those two studs first, so the bar doesn't mess up the threads.

-Chap

0961112010.png

Bay Stater, danlatu and Mendel Leisk like this.