1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Busted out the BBQ today

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by amped, Feb 16, 2008.

1. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Busted out the BBQ for the first time this year. Temps climbed into the high 50's, the warmest day of the year so far.

A 5 lb. Draper Valley Farms (local, fresh, quality) chicken that marinated overnight with Soy-Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki (the best store bought IMO) under the skin, cooked over mesquite wood with a little mesquite wood chips soaked in chardonnay. It's my basic chicken recipe that keeps 'em coming back.

Side dishes were shiitake mushroom risotto, broccoli crowns poached in chicken stock, garden salad, peppercorn garlic bread and rasperberry cheescake for dessert. Served with 2003 Meadowood Cabernet Sauvignon.

[​IMG]

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, that sounds good. Our temp made it all the way up to the high teens, which was a lot better than the zero it was yesterday. Your chicken looks tasty.

Tom

3. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That dog sure looks hungry!

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Try that when the temp is only 1°F. It will taste even better.

Winter, shminter. I do BBQ all year long.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I like the little bowl of melted snow that forms around the grill.

Tom

6. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Heh, I have to put him on a down-stay on "chicken night" until after dinner when he gets scraps. Otherwise he runs interference for attention until he gets some.

7. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When I lived in Minnesota, we had a gas grill, and grilled year round, too.
    Tried the thanksgiving grilled turkey once... THAT was a disaster!! LOL.

I love grilled veggies.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I fire up the Big Green Egg year around as well...Turkey at Thanksgiving was amazing, Prime Rib at Christmas was better than I've had in any restaurant. Our oven, inside the house, died 1 week before Christmas and we didn't get it up and running again for over a month. We did freezer pizza, chicken breasts, and just about anything else you'd do in an oven on the BGE with great success. Did some nice pork chops just a couple days ago.

9. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wow Evan! I didn't know you were a fellow "Egghead" I have a large and small that I cook on about one time per week in cold weather and 3 to 4 times in warmer. Christmas, I cooked a fresh ham "low and slow for 18 hours.

Last week, I cooked 13 boneless skinless chicken breast slathered with a home made marinade and dusted with home made rub.

I haven't T-rexed a steak lately though. Temps are near fifty today with wind. I may have to run to the store this afternoon. I need a protein fix!!!!

10. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Once when I was a kid, I tried to do a charcoal BBQ in my bedroom. I opened two windows and used an exhaust fan. Mom still was not pleased.

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's actually an old thread where I made several efforts to sell as many Egg's as possible! I have 2 large (one at home and one at my lake house) that I don't get to cook on nearly often enough. Fantastic tool though.

12. Dr Ed

Dr Ed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My favorite holiday cookout I do is brisket slow mesquite wood smoked for 8 hours, beer can smoked chicken, smoked kielbasa, homemade potato salad and charro beans, buttery roasted corn on the cob, peach cobbler al la mode, Lipitor. Mmmmmmmm :)

13. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And I've been jonesing for an Egg ever since! Still scanning Craiglist with no luck, looks like most owners keep them until they crack like the only one I found so far.

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Best chance might be a moving sale or something like that. They last forever so they don't need to be replaced, but they're really heavy and a little fragile so someone moving probably wouldn't want to try to ship it.

15. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is a good time to shop at you local dealers. I got my mom a mini for in December for her winter migration to Cudjoe Key for a decent price. I priced around a couple of weeks ago for a co-worker on a small and found a $100 spread in the price with the cheapest one having the most accessories with it.
    I recommend a new one as that will ensure an excellent warranty. BGE makes it well known that any bought online would not be covered under warranty as previously, many warranty claims had been submitted for online purchase shipping damage.
    If you're driving a Prius, calculate your fuel savings over your previous vehicle and justify the price to your spouse with the $$$$ saved with the Prius.

An Egg is not a consumable like a gas grill. It will last a lifetime or more.