1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Busted sway bar end links?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by lensovet, Sep 15, 2013.

1. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Got the rear sway bar for my PiP from amazon a few weeks back.
    Today finally got around to doing the install …and the right end link's screw diameter is apparently too large such that the nut that came with it can't even be screwed on all the way.
    Is this just a defective part? Will the dealer be willing to replace it under warranty or do I have to ship it back to amazon?
    Cheers
    Paul

2. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just installed mine a week ago (non-PIP). There were no issues with the end links fitting where they are supposed to. Are they not fitting into the bar or in the hole near the shock mount?

You may want to post pictures. Maybe it is being installed incorrectly?

3. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I assume this is a TRD bar? I installed a TRD bar with no problems on my 2010.

I don't think your local dealer will do anything for you and you will need to deal with Amazon.

4. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    They are not fitting into the hole.
    As I said, with the link off the car, I can't screw the nut on all the way in. It just stops and can't be screwed in any further because the diameter is too wide on the screw.

And yes, TRD bar.

5. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I guess it's possible they put the wrong part in there. You would probably have to go through amazon or there vendor for a replacement.

I'm still questioning if it is defective/wrong though. If you get the nut to thread on even a bit, the rest of the bolt should come through. I did notice that you may have to wiggle it a bit for it to align and slide through the hole. Also, loosely bolt the end link onto the car chassis first before the attaching to the sway bar as that might help.

Did the other side slide through ok? You may want to test them on the other side also. Maybe the hole on the car is not quite to size or there is a burr hanging up the bolt.

6. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The parts are all sealed and bagged and have the correct part numbers. I think this is just a manufacturing defect, a burr as you said.
    Just to clarify. With the end link OFF the vehicle, I CANNOT screw the nut all the way on. Physically impossible, even with a wrench.
    I can't attach it to the sway bar if I can't get it onto the car chassis in the first place, obviously.
    If the dealer refuses to just give me a replacement part, that's pretty crappy. I mean, the thing has a warranty, presumably that should cover busted components, regardless of where I bought them. If a buy a canon camera and it arrives with a slightly expanded battery which no longer fits into the battery slot, canon would replace it for me under warranty, not send me to the store to return it.