1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

butthead beemers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hobbit, May 2, 2006.

1. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So there I am, minding my own business tooling along a suburban
    surface street, maybe a little over and a little under the speed
    limit as I P&G my way toward home, and this black BMW comes a-
    screamin' up behind me. Probably a 5 or 7 series, since the area
    I was in is somewhat conducive to that sort of ostentatiousness.
    The lady in same then sits *right* behind me, sort of doing that
    little angry-hornet weaving back and forth in the lane like she's
    figuring on trying to pass over the double yellow, for the next half
    mile or so. The road then goes down a fairly steep, curvy hill
    into a small town. Of course I'm "riding the brakes" all the way
    down this, trying to keep regen current around 50 amps to stay well
    out of physical-brakes territory and minimize ohmic heating in the
    pack, and near the bottom I pass a sign saying "SPEED LIMIT 20".
    This is a little burg nestled in a steepish river valley, and there
    is *no* reason to try and hurry through it. So I point toward this
    sign fairly obviously as I pass it, hoping she'll see it through my
    back window -- evidently she does, because her own hands go up off
    the wheel in this gesture which, in combination with her expression,
    totally says "so what? Why aren't you going WAY faster than that?"
    ... which I pretty much take in stride, except that she's still
    hanging *right* on my nice person.
    About two blocks later her destination apparently comes up, because
    she like *peels* away from behind me into ... wait for it ... the
    parking lot at a train station.
    It was sort of tempting to go back and, um, try to apprise her of
    her folly [to put it charitably], but I figured that her hubby's
    probably some high-powered, useless lawyer and her best lesson will
    probably come from the gas pump anyways. Well, I can hope. But I
    am still wondering about the best way to convincingly reach people
    like that, to get them to stop thinking about their own self-
    importance long enough to realize what's going on around them.
    _H*

2. ErikU

ErikU New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    LOL. Sorry not poking fun of you having to deal with the idoit. I deal with this everyday! I live around the Dallas, TX area and not only do you have people doing this in redicously expensive cars but in H2's, Expeditions, and F350's. Last night I was taking my girlfriend home and this huge dooley (sp wrong I know) drove up my nice person then swerved to the middle lane and then pushed his way between me and the other truck in the middle lane almost taking off the front of my car. What pissed me off the most was that I was going about 7 over the speed limit and the whole right lane was completely empty!!!! :angry: Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do except to stare at them at the next light. If I have someone who is really on my nice person, I like to keep going the same speed and just touch my brakes so the lights come on and then keep them on while continuing on......sometimes even speed up a little to get my point across. Nevertheless, there will always be dumb arses out there!!!!

3. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

When someone comes up behind you and is in a big hurry and driving dangerously, do what I do -- let them by!

It's not worth the trouble to hold them up. They are just dangerous and you don't want p*ssed off people on your back bumper. Drive safely, especially if those around you aren't.

4. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbarnhart @ May 2 2006, 05:33 AM) [snapback]248455[/snapback]</div>

I would have to agree, If you just provoke road rage doing the P & G let the angry driver pass its not worth you getting shot over is it? if it is then don't come complaining when someone knocks you off the road or follows you to your destination and shoots or beats you or even worse beats up your prius these people will sit there and boil the whole time they are stuck behind you until they snap or turn off... <_< :(

:) Prevent Road Rage :)

Prevent Escalation
    If you are looking for protection from the road rage of others, your best protection is to:

Stay in the car
    Do not respond with an angry gesture or action
    Keep a "SORRY" sign in the car and use it when needed

Make a "SORRY" Sign
    According to a regional survey conducted by Drs. Arnold P. Nerenberg and R. Jerry Adams, over half of drivers in the USA suffer from road rage. The average number of incidents per road rager is 27. That means that most of us will encounter road ragers many times in our lives. Road rage can lead to injuries or even death. The U.S. Highway Safety Office has testified to Congress that tens of thousands of accidents each year can be linked directly to aggressive driving, including road rage, and is now a leading cause of death for young children. :eek:

A road rager can become upset because you accidentally cut in front of him or her, or other reasons that were not intentional. A key factor in reversing the process is an apology. Over 85 percent of road ragers said that they would drop the matter if the other "careless" driver simply apologized. Instead, road ragers claim, the "careless" driver seems to be unconcerned about what they just did and, therefore, needs to be taught a lesson. :blink:

In a car, only one method is effective in conveying an apology: A sign. We have found that it is very effective in warding off anger. In fact, many drivers actually smile when we raise a "SORRY" sign to them after we have accidentally done something wrong. We keep a "SORRY" sign in the map holder on the driver's door and the passenger's door. It could also be kept under the sun visor if it is fastened with a clip or rubber band so that it doesn't hit you in the face when the visor comes down. :rolleyes:

How to Make a "SORRY" Sign
    The lettering should be thick, such as "arial rounded bold," and about two inches high. The lettering should be black and the background should be white. If you print it on regular paper, then you can have it laminated at a small business service center, such as Kinko's. Before laminating, cut the paper so that the sign has a border of 3/8 inch around the word "SORRY." Have the sign laminated with a 1/4 inch border of plastic extending beyond the paper; be sure to round the edges of the four corners of plastic so that the corners will not be pointed. Use the heaviest lamination available, a "10" weight, if possible. The completed sign should be approximately 9" wide by 3 1/2" high, including the 1/4" lamination around the edge. A sample graphic is available by clicking Here. (Print it in landscape size and then cut and place four on a page for copying in portrait size.)

SORRY

If it is night time, you may need to turn on your car's ceiling light so they can see your sign.

Warning: Use of common sense is essential in responding to road rage incidents. Quite often, getting out the sign or turning on the light will be a serious distraction from safe driving. If using the "Sorry" sign makes your driving unsafe, do not do it! Practice in using the sign when the car is not moving, such as in your driveway, will help to make use of it safer and easier. Practice will also help you determine whether using the sign in a particular situation will be more dangerous than not doing so. ;)

Or just keep doing what you've been doing and get you a trunk monkey! :lol: :lol:

5. busyrosy

busyrosy New Member

nahh just let her pass. Give her the opportunity to crash into a light pole. That's one less guzzler off the road ;)

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yesterday, for me it was a Cadillac Deville license plate "Mk Trans 1".

He weaved behind me as I was doing ~35 in a 30. Then went half across the double yellow to go two-wide and roll through the four-way stop disregarding the others at their respective stop signs. The others looked AT ME. I shrugged and shook my head and one of them gave that "what an nice person" smile and knod back.

Oh, but that's not the end of it.
    We had the same commute so I kept seeing him no more than perhaps 5 or 7 cars ahead of me jumping from lane to lane in the multilane suburban highway. I caught up to him twice and passed him once doing my normal driving. I increased my mileage by .3 on that drive; I think he increased his blood pressue by considerably more.

7. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Nevertheless, there will always be dumb arses out there!!!!"

Do you think many drivers think this about you?

I'm not trying to pick a fight or condone unsafe driving, regardless of vehicle. I'm just asking a question.

8. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :p Some of the more amusing daily experiences for me are the "speedsters" who weave across lanes at ~10-15 MPH over the city speed limits and are sitting at the next traffic signal waiting for a "green" when I pull up alongside. My thoughts go something like "Oh boy, you beat me to the intersection and got to wait at the red light longer than I did!" Perhaps it's only my imagination, but it seems that Beemer drivers are consistently of this variety.

Becoming a Prius driver has perceptably changed my driving habits in a positive way.

9. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't think that these drivers are intentionally attempting to be offensive to any particular other driver. I'm sure that if asked, they would tell you, "it's nothing personal."

There is a word for it but I can't remember what it is. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a "reverse dictionary" in which I could enter words from the definition and it would tell me the word. What I'm looking for is the word that means, "an unwarrented sense of self-importance." I heard that word once and thought it would be a good one to remember but it's an obscure word and I have since forgotten it.

I usually attribute their behavior a self-induced sense of importance.

10. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I had a good laugh at someone else's road rage yesterday while cruising around town on my lunch break. I was on a 6-lane road (3 lanes in each direction), in the right lane with a white Camaro behind me. The car 2 cars ahead of me was making a (very slow) right turn into a parking lot, therefore both the person in front of me and I brake almost to a complete stop as a result.

The dude behind me really lays into his horn, then swerves into the middle lane while continuing to honk and gesture at ME, until he finally realizes that there was actually someone (2 someones really) in front of me causing the so-called 'holdup', then I'm sure he felt pretty stupid. As he passed me (this all happened in a matter of ~5 seconds), I threw up my hands in the air, in a 'what could I do? The people in front of me are braking so I had no choice...dumbass' sort of move.

Made me chuckle anyhow...seeing as we were maybe 50 yards from stopping at a red light and he was having palpitations caused from someone making a right turn somewhere ahead of him....

11. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :D Hey TONY...

Would the word you seek be "ARROGANCE?"

...or... perhaps "CONCEIT?"

12. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Now I'm going to have to look it up.

Maladroit comes to mind, but that's not it.

Perhaps it was unctuous:
    Characterized by affected, exaggerated, or insincere earnestness
    revealing or marked by a smug, ingratiating, and false earnestness or spirituality

But now that I read the definition, I'm not sure that's it.

13. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ May 2 2006, 01:06 PM) [snapback]248613[/snapback]</div>
    Every morning on my way to work there's someone who should have left 10 minutes earlier and is now flying down the road. If I happen to be in front of them, they fly up on my bumper and hang there until the tiniest gap opens up in the fast lane, after which they zoon past. Inevitably, I meet them at the next stoplight, which are spaced less than a mile apart.

As they pass, I scream, "GO MORON GO! See you at the stoplight!" :p

People don't understand that stoplights tend to equalize all traffic.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 2 2006, 03:11 PM) [snapback]248650[/snapback]</div>
    Narccism?

14. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, "unctuous" would describe the hired help who *washes* her BMW
    in the driveway of the mcmansion. Different kind of self-importance.
    I would have let her go by if she chose to do so; it wasn't a
    particularly safe spot to try. Like I said, we were just arriving
    into a town with a speed limit of *20* anyways. She chose to fume
    about it; I was just driving in an entirely normal manner.
    For the record, and I've said this before, my usual P&G is really a
    sort of "pulse and slightly-augmented glide", using a little more
    battery than the no-arrows state and through a narrower range of
    speed, which helps me be more consistent amidst other drivers. I
    guess I shouldn't be surprised that some readers immediately try to
    turn the whole "incident", if you could call it that, around on me,
    but if you stop and think for a minute you'll see how unwarranted
    that is.
    _H*

15. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Nah, narcisism is too obvious and besides, usually they are using their cars to cover or detract from something.

I'm telling ya, it was a real good one. Not common at all; along the lines of campanology, of which I hold a PhD. It was like one of those words for which there is no English equivalent. A single word that so precisely summed up an emotion, a personality, and a trait so succinctly as to make you proud.

16. DougSlug

DougSlug Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 2 2006, 01:10 PM) [snapback]248615[/snapback]</div>
    You may be describing SMUG. Think about it.

17. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boxster...WRX...Prius? @ May 2 2006, 12:28 PM) [snapback]248660[/snapback]</div>
    A friend of mine pulls up beside them at the stop light, rolls down his window and waves a checkered flag.