1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Button with the key symbol on it.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by teagle's eagles, Jun 20, 2009.

1. teagle's eagles

teagle's eagles New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure if I'm in the right area or not, but I have a question about my 2009 Prius. What's the button down and to the left of the steering column with a key on it do? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's the button to activate or deactivate the SKS. With the button in the out position the smart key system is active.

3. Jim Porta

Jim Porta Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That button is used to disable the smart key function. I used it last week when I left the prius in the garage for 5 days. We were on vacation. This is to save power drain on the 12volt battery. The smart key transmitters get turned off. So it's a "vacation" switch.

4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Another use of the switch is for when you want to leave an SKS keyfob in the car, but still lock it up. I do this occasionally when I go running, and I don't want to risk losing a $200 key on the trail. So the drill is hide the keyfob inside the car, turn off the switch, and lock the doors with a mechanical key. Mechanical keys are available anywhere keys are made, for about $2 (Gen2 - Gen3 is a lot more, and it doesn't have the switch).