1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buttons not in the manual

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by michalopoulosgk, Jul 5, 2005.

1. michalopoulosgk

michalopoulosgk New Member

I own a 2005 Prius (package #6) and I have been driving the car for a month. I noticed today that on the extreme left side of the dashboard and immediately under the glass of the windshield (at the very corner where windshield glass and dashboard meet, on the driver side) there is a small domed glass covered object looking like a light of sorts. Immediately next to it and to the right there is a recessed small circular area, same diameter approximately as the previous object. I suspect that these are sensors of some sort, but I went through the manual and could not find any description of them.
    Does anybody have an idea what they are?
    Thanks for any answer!
    GKM

P.S. My state inspection stickers are right on top of these two things and, if they are light sensors, etc. they may be totally blocked.

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:eca7d12f0f]That's where the Automatic Light Sensor would be if you had a Canadian Prius.[/font:eca7d12f0f]

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And I think the other sensor is the automatic climate control temperature sensor

4. michalopoulosgk

I bought my Prius in the US. Should I assume that the automatic light sensor is present but disabled? I do not seem to have that function (lights do not go on by themselves when I turn on the car). As for the temperature sensor, is that the inside temperature sensor, adjusting the climate control? Or, is it sensing temperature by connecting to the outside?
    Thanks for any thoughts you might have!

5. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:ad14bd8c98]I don't know if the light sensor is there or not. It would seem wasteful to install a part in every US Prius that isn't used. Perhaps it is just a cover for the hole where the sensor would go. US Prii do not have automatic lights, nor running lights (the automatic sensor increases the voltage to the halogen headlamps to increase their brightness as ambient light decreases, in Canada).

I also don't know about automatic climate control sensing in that narrow wedge under the windshield. I don't have the manual, but I would put a thermometer at the cabin air inlet to see how hot or cold the cabin air is, not in the sun under glass.

I think you can ignore the non-functional doodads on the extreme left corner of the dash where it meets the windshield.[/font:ad14bd8c98]

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, in mind (Canadian Spec) we have two "dome" sensors on the dash. One is the temp sensor, the other is the light sensor. The interior temp sensor is located on the lower dash near your right knee. It's that small grille.

7. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:9281a30784]Ahh, so that's why my right knee is so comfortable![/font:9281a30784]

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The dome relating to the climate control is to detect solar radiation. In detecting solar radiation, the climate control system will increase cooling output (or possibly reduce heat output) in account for the radiant heating of the sun coming through the glass.

10. bobc

bobc New Member

On my NA car, there is nothing under the knock out for the light sensor. The knock out would have to be replaced with the sensor unit.

11. popoff

popoff New Member

So would the state inspection sticker blocking the solar radiation have an adverse effect on the climate control brain?

12. michalopoulosgk

That is my concern. The car appears to overestimate the outside temperature somehow. Since this is the most common location for inspection stickers (at least in Pennsylvania) I wonder how many others are affected by this.

13. taaustin

taaustin New Member

Michalopoulosgk,

One of those IS a light sensor... I also have a 2005 and on pg 102 of the manual it describes the function. With the headlight switch in 'position 3' (image of a headlight) the system will 'turn the lights on/off depending on the darkness or the surroundings'. This same page also shows a drawing of one of these two sensors and states that it is serving this function. I was pleased to see this since one feature I loved about my GMC Jimmy trade-in was the automatic headlights. Before I got my Prius last week I had not touched a headlight switch in the last four years. I'm glad to know that I still don't have to.

As to the other of the two it may well be a temperature sensor though better readings of real outside temp may be obtained with a sensor outside the car... that one's up for grabs IMO.

Hope this helps,

Terry

14. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    light sensor?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(taaustin\";p=\"105308)</div>
    [font=Comic Sans MS:8fb8729cf6]Terry, that page is wrong in the US. Leaving your headlights on all the time is fine for safety, but if you have a US car (see why it's important to put your location in your profile?) you will see no change depending on the darkness or the surroundings. Try it and see![/font:8fb8729cf6]

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bill, you brought up a good point. I keep saying the manual for both countries are the same but I've noticed the pages numbers are different.

16. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(michalopoulosgk\";p=\"104428)</div>
    If your headlights do not turn on when you power up, it is because you turned them off when you last powered off. You might have been confused by the headlights staying on when you powered off and turned them off yourself. They will auto off as soon as you open the driver's door. Might also do it after some amount of time, but I've never had occasion to find out.

17. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:b5ac2644cc]Bruce, michalopoulosgk was asking about the "automatic light sensor" which US cars don't have, not the automatic shut-off of headlamps that are on when you power off the car.[/font:b5ac2644cc]

18. michalopoulosgk

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I suspect that in the US, one of these "buttons" is a temperature sensor. Since the inspection stickers are right on top of it, I believe that the temperature shown as "outside temperature" is understated. I compared with my wife's car, driving one behind the other, and I was recording much lower outside temperatures than her Audi. Next time I have a state inspection I should tell the inspectors to put the stickers somewhere else.

19. taaustin

taaustin New Member

then again, one sure check for the temp-sensor idea would be to get a can of 'canned air' electronic equipment cleaner, turn it upside down and give that region of the car a good squirt... If one is the temp sensor the readings should begin to drop in a few moments.

20. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    michalopoulosgk,
    Do you have a nickname? ( only kidding)
    I'm wondering why you can't just go to the state inspection and explain to them that their sticker interferes with equipment on your vehicle and could they please remove it and place it elsewhere ( be careful where you tell them to place it). I doubt they would stick it over your speed indicator.