1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buy 2007 now or wait for 2008?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pwalta, Jun 7, 2007.

1. pwalta

pwalta New Member

We are looking to buy a Prius within the next 4 to 6 weeks. Since the 08s are apparently coming out sometime in September, what is your opinion of whether to go ahead and purchase an 07 as planned, or wait until the 08's come out. Does anyone know if there will be a price increase and what changes there might be on the 08's?

2. clintbhs02

clintbhs02 New Member

Ive heard 2009 is a remodel and better MPG I would look into a 2009.

3. nytimez

nytimez New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clintbhs02 @ Jun 7 2007, 09:29 PM) [snapback]457727[/snapback]</div>
    I read somewhere that there will be a price increase. But I can't tell you if that's actually what's going to happen.

4. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tula @ Jun 7 2007, 06:20 PM) [snapback]457722[/snapback]</div>
    Toyota is being very tight-lipped on the availability of the next generation Prius and new features. Consequently everything is just conjecture... Current gossip is that the next generation Prius will not be available at the next annual change (September).

Consequently your decision is to decide if the current Prius meets your desires, or if you can (and want) to wait for maybe a year to see what the next generation Prius has to offer...

Personally, I'm going to wait and see..................

Good Luck,

Keith :unsure:

5. Joe Bernard

Joe Bernard New Member

I think the respondents are misunderstanding the OPs question. Tula isn't choosing between Gen 2 and 3. The Sep. 08 model is still a Gen 2. The question is, will 08 be more expensive and/or changed in any way. My guess: Toyota just did an upgrade with the Touring and usually makes no more changes in the final year of a model cycle. Considering that they're dealing on 07s now, I'd take the plunge.

6. acdii

acdii Active Member

Also consider you still get a tax credit, not as much as before, but still credit is credit.

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I think a better answer is:
    If you can find the color and option model you want at a good price, buy now. If not, order and wait for the 2008. Make sure the dealer knows this is what you will do, so he can "deal" to sell now!

8. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Jun 8 2007, 10:51 AM) [snapback]458003[/snapback]</div>
    Which brings up another question..... are the SAME '07 exterior colors being offered in the 2008's ??
    Even though they say the '08 body style will have no (or very minor) changes from the '07, will the exterior color you want be available ??
    This happened to the Acura 3.2TL in 1999-2000..... they had a great color, Laguna Green, which was anything BUT a "green"........ it was that greenish-GRAY color, much more "medium gray" than "green" !! Then in 2001 they "eliminated" that great (very popular) color and replaced it with a "plain Jane" dark metallic gray !! Luckily I bought the 2000 model as I fell in love with that Laguna Green color........ it was also offered for ONE year only on the 1999 MDX, too.

9. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ Jun 8 2007, 08:10 AM) [snapback]458012[/snapback]</div>
    When I placed my order, they said it could be either an 07 or an 08 & that if it's an 08, they didn't say my color option wouldn't be available. But they didn't say it would either.

10. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ACD @ Jun 8 2007, 10:27 AM) [snapback]457988[/snapback]</div>
    Vehicles purchased before Oct. 1, 2006 qualify for the full credit.
    For Toyota hybrid vehicles bought on or after October 1, 2006, and on or before March 31, 2007, the credit is 50 percent of the otherwise allowable credit amount.

Taxpayers buying Toyota Hybrid vehicles on or after April 1, 2007, and on or before September 30, 2007, can only get 25 percent of the credit.

If you purchase your car before the manufacture has reached the 60,000-unit limit, then you will receive the full tax credit. Because the sales report is sent to the IRS quarterly, the full tax credit will still be available throughout the quarter in which the 60,000 limit is reached. The tax credit is then reduced by one-half for the next six months; and then by another one-half for the next six months; and then ceases. :angry:

11. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ Jun 8 2007, 11:19 AM) [snapback]458017[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure that's exactly right. I was under the impression that Toyota passed the 60,000 mark some time ago, and that that triggered the phase out of the tax credit rather than that it's tailing off now due to 60,000 being reported now.

For what it's worth, the credit is now at 25% of the original ($787.50) for Prius models bought in the second and third quarter of 2007 and then claimed by the original purchaser on 2007 tax returns. After the end of the third quarter, the tax credit is no more, so vehicles purchased then don't qualify.

ON EDIT: http://www.toyota.com/prius/tax.html gives the details, and states the 60,000 mark was reached in May 2006, triggering the phase out.

12. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZA_Andy @ Jun 8 2007, 11:35 AM) [snapback]458027[/snapback]</div>
    That is what I was trying to say in my own clumbsy way (I cut-and-pasted article in my post which ended up being confusing, sorry !!)........
    After Sept. 30, 2007 there will be NO MORE Tax Credits............. NONE :angry:

13. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ Jun 8 2007, 03:01 PM) [snapback]458250[/snapback]</div>
    One can always wait for Chevy's Volt and get their full tax credit. :D Or will GM actually be able to sell 60,000 hybrids before the Volt arrives? :mellow:

14. pwalta

pwalta New Member

Thanks for the thoughtful responses. Very good advice to use the fact that we would be willing to wait on an 08 as leverage in negotiating for an 07. Also good advice that if we get a good price on an 07, take it because the 08's have so many unknowns. I originally wanted a Honda CRV but my husband convinced me that we really needed to take a look at the Prius. I tried very hard to obtain evidence to shoot down my husband's suggestion since I had my heart set on a CRV but found that the Prius is not only comparable but is superior in many ways other than just gas mileage. I have narrowed down the colors to Silver or Gray, package 2. I had originally decided that I could live without leather (our Yukon has leather seats), but have decided that I really like leather and would be disappointed without it. I also like the woodgrain and since it is so inexpensive, I think that I would like to add it as well. I requested some internet quotes here in Oklahoma and one from Texas about 4 weeks ago and received two very good price quotes (about $1300 off of invoice -- without leather). I then obtained quotes again about a week ago and found that the price has gone up. I am hopeful that with gasoline prices coming down here (about $2.97 a gallon today) that the clamor for the Prius will die down enough in the next month to obtain a better price. Thanks again.

15. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tula @ Jun 8 2007, 11:51 PM) [snapback]458499[/snapback]</div>
    We have BOTH vehicles ('07 Prius & '04 CR-V EX) and they are almost complete opposites...... like night and day in many cases........ for TWO DIFFERENT "purposes"........... The CR-V is all wheel drive, high off the ground (high ground clearance great for flooded streets) and you "sit high" as a typical small SUV does. We get around 25 MPG and this "best case". Load it up with four adults and maybe 22 !! For it's "class" the Honda (AWD) CR-V is GREAT, but nothing like a (FWD) Prius............ Prius is just as roomy inside, a bit more "squirrley" in very high cross winds, lower ground clearance, but FANTASTIC gas mileage as you already know......... we're getting close to 50 MPG and ours is still new (under 1,000 miles) !!

But think about this.......... last month we used the CR-V to pick up new bathroom "furniture"..... and with seats folded, we were able to fit in a 36" x 21" x 31" tall (actually larger when in box) vanity, a box with the molded sink-top approx. 38" x 22" x 12", a box with the light bar approx. 38" x 12" x 12" and a box with the tri-view (wall mounted) medicine chest, approx. 38" x 36" x 10" as well as some misc. filler pieces and hardware. Three months ago I picked up (Thank God for WeatherTech Cargo Liners and old blankets) 60 pieces of St. Augustine SOD, approx. 16" x 28" a piece, probably (with dirt base) each one was 5" thick. Loaded up the CR-V...... couldn't see out the back window....... (don't ask about the fire ants and spiders)!!

[attachmentid=8718]

So you see, the CR-V is our "utility" vehicle......... the Prius our "crusing" vehicle and what my Wife drives to work daily. Once again......... CR-V - Prius.............. TWO DIFFERENT VEHICLES..............

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tula @ Jun 8 2007, 11:51 PM) [snapback]458499[/snapback]</div>
    I doubt that, they are still selling faster than the dealers can get them and as the "year end" draws near, color choices and "package choices" may be more difficult to locate and get good deals on !!

JUST MY OPINION B) !!

Good Luck !!

Attached Files:

16. doubleg2005

doubleg2005 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tula @ Jun 8 2007, 10:51 PM) [snapback]458499[/snapback]</div>
    I could be wrong, but I really don't see waiting for the 08 to get a better price on the 07 as a viable technique. The Prius is just in such high demand that dealers really aren't going to mark them down in an effort to "get them off the lot" like they would with other cars. Prii will get themselves off the lot just fine... B)

I thought about the same strategy but in talking with numerous dealers (not mentioning that I might wait for the 08's) they all told me that it was taking them about 6 weeks to replace a sold Prius and only one dealer (Tejas Toyota in Houston) quoted me anything below MSRP. Translation: when the 08's arrive, there may not be any 07's left to sell... if there are, people will still pay top dollar for them.

17. pwalta

pwalta New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(doubleg2005 @ Jul 10 2007, 12:16 AM) [snapback]475976[/snapback]</div>
    I went to our local dealer to negotiate the price for a Prius to be ordered. The price quoted is about $1,000 below MSRP. So far the other internet quotes I have received are above what they have quoted. I kept thinking that they would call and give into my offer (we are about $300 apart) but so far they are holding out. I will probably go ahead and give in -- with gas at $3.20 a gallon here I probably am not going to do any better than that. One of the dealerships that gave me a quote at MSRP said that they have not received the prices for the 08's yet, but that over the next 90 days the 08's will start arriving.

18. Per

Per New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Isn't it true that after 30 Sep 2007 there is no longer a tax credit on the Prius? If so, you will lose any tax credit if you buy after the deadline. Check with the IRS--they have a website about it.

19. pwalta

pwalta New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Per @ Jul 11 2007, 07:30 PM) [snapback]477202[/snapback]</div>
    Just ordered our Prius. Very excited that it will arrive in about 4 to 6 weeks.