1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buy 2008 now OR wait for 2009 Prius?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Aaron, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Here is my delimma:

I'm wanting to sell my 18 MPG SUV and get a Prius with package #5. I would like to sell the SUV as soon as possible BEFORE gas goes to $4+ per gallon. I think I'll be able to get more and sell sooner if I put it up for sale now. I'm using this as a down payment.

I've been doing research and I'm getting mixed messages about the 2009. Some say its the same as the 2008 and if that is the case I'll buy a Prius this month.

However, if the 2009 gets better MPG and a plug-in is offered I will be more than willing to wait, but I'll still be driving that 18 MPG gas sucker and might find it very diffuicult to sell come towards the end of this year.
    Sorry for the long post!

What should I do!? Thank you. (This is my first post)

-Aaron

2. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm in the same situation except that I'll likely keep my fuel sucking pickup for a bit rather than trade since we are currently 1 vehicle short and have some hauling to do.

I've pretty much decided to go ahead on the 2008 purchase. xcel at cleanmpg has driven one of the PHEV-6 (6 mile EV range) test cars and talked to the engineers. He indicates the 2009 will not be plug-in and will not have more range, but may have higher speed glide (62 mph limit vs 42) capability. That lets you glide without using battery at all but full freeway speeds, so its significant in itself. But not a plug-in. The 2009 instumentation may be improved a bit, too.

I thus think the Prius-III will be a 2010 model released in 2009. I can't wait that long. Still, I'm watching for news here daily.

Of course, I may be wrong...

3. Aaron

Aaron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    When will the 2009's hit the dealerships? I might be able to wait. Do you think there will be a price difference?

4. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Have found no dates. A few 09's (other cars) are already out, so it could come out now, or August, or who knows. Amazingly few leaks.

I expect small price increase compounded by low availability and high demand relative to remaining 2008's. Therefore, even after they come out, if not Gen III PHEV, I would try to negotiate a better price on an 08.

I'll really probably buy before 2009 is released.

5. rochesteruser

rochesteruser Cruzin' in Rochester MN

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Word at the local Dealership is that the 2009 Prius may not show up until Jan/Feb 2009. They are still working out the production inventory for the worldwide release.

6. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Aaron,

If I were you, I would start saving gas now than later. You may not get the price you want for your SUV by next year assuming that gas prices had already reached the all time high of $4.00 per gallon. I speculate that the mpg of an '09 will not be significantly better than the '08...so I say go ahead and 'bite the bullet' and make the purchase as soon as you can.

Let us know what you decide...:drum:

7. Aaron

Aaron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    According to Ken1784:

http://www.donlen.com/buildstart_toyota.html
    2008 Final Order: 05/12/08
    2009 Initial Order: 06/08
    2009 Initial Delivery: 09/16/08

He believes the 2009 Prius is identical to 2008 model. I thought it was a whole new design b/c it's the 3rd generation??

Can anyone else confirm this? If I can order in June, I will wait.

8. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The safest assumption to make right now is that the 2009 will basically be the same as the 2008 ... the all-new Prius will be a 2010 model that arrives in 2009 probably around the normal time (September).

9. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Great to know. Long ago the gen3 was to be an 09, but all the recent talk i've seen was 2010.

xcel thought the higher glide and instrumentation enhancements would make the 09, but I could see them freezing it and trying to come a little early with the 2010 Gen3.

who knows. I'm buying an 08. Please send money. (Wasn't college great?)

10. joeszabo

joeszabo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Aaron,

I tend to agree with N3FOL and those reason's for buying you car now. In addition, I would also keep the following in mind...

At the moment, you can get a pretty good deal now as prices are relatively low i.e.; you can likely roll a (not touring) decent model out the door for less than $24,000 now:D. This car is from Japan and you are paying US dollars for it, I suggest considering that the longer you wait, the less buying power you may have (a guess I know).