1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buy 2010 Now or Delay?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by kenopa, Feb 16, 2010.

1. kenopa

kenopa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Regardless of the outcome with the 2003 GEN I problem (other thread), we have decided to purchase a new 2010. I am looking for a Prius II with no additional port/dealer options. Dealer asking prices locally are running around $23,350 (includes prep but not the $1,000 rebate). Given the current marketing situation, I believe I can get them down to around $22,500. Question is...I'm hearing some news stories about possible additional Toyota incentives which may be coming. This is a cash purchase and we can wait. Opinions on price and whether we should delay perhaps until March?

2. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would wait about a month. I heard that Toyota will be making a big announcement in about a month about new incentives to bring people back to their showrooms.

3. Coasterguy

Coasterguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I would wait to if those incentives will be good. But this is the thing. The dealers are slow NOW. They will deal. find a dealer that has more than a few on the lot. I found a dealer that had 8 in stock. I bought a V sticker was $31,660 and I paid $29,950. I thought it was a fair deal considering I was not a toyota owner before this. I am happy.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Check out the AAA price. Around here the cars are selling near or under invoice. No guarantee you'll be able to get that price & a rebate later. Around here your car has an invoice of $22576 & a AAA price of $22826.

5. vegasjetskier

vegasjetskier New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You can get a III for $300 more or a II for $22K (+$100 doc fee) from Carmax if you don't mind flying to DC or Kenosha, WI to pick it up. It looks like some of them have floor mats.

http://www.carmax.com/enUS/search-r...8+15+9&Q=d3b63757-df3f-4f4a-b327-3f14d0b28770

6. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'd pull the trigger now while demand is slow. Start dickering with them and when you're getting close to their lowest price, say "ya know, I think I'll hold off for a month as there should be at least another grand in rebates coming". If that doesn't get them hustling more, then walk.

7. TOYOTA761

TOYOTA761 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    As a Fleet Manager for a large Toyota dealer in AZ. I would invite you to purchase now. Toyota will slow production once ground supply increases for dealers. Once this happens, it will eliminate a lot of personal choices in both color and options.

1 person likes this.
  8. yamisoshi

yamisoshi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am in line to purchase my first Prius Gen3 this coming weekend regardless of the future incentives that are to be announced. If you are in the market to purchase a car, then I wouldn't hesitate to do so. Now or then, I think you'll be able to get a good deal.

9. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

If you have the money and can get the vehicle you want at a reasonable price, buy it now. Who knows what world event is lurking around the corner that will change the current status of the world oil supply (Iran going nuclear?).

Keith :welcome:

10. Tidalflats

Tidalflats Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    How does CarMax sell new Priuses? I thought they are a used car dealer?

Is anyone waiting, on buying a Prius, because of upcoming plug-in variants as well as the possibility of Toyota offering better deals?

11. yamisoshi

yamisoshi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think the rumors have it that the 'better deals' will most likely be 5-year/60,000 (standard) or the available 10-year/100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper/power train warranty?

I'm getting one and not waiting. Rather take in the rebates and $1-2K under invoice pricing over the warranty (I usually trade in a car roughly every 4-5 years), so I think I'll be safe with the current warranty offer.

12. Youarethegovt

Youarethegovt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The dealership I bought from last night was DEAD. They practically threw the car at me. I've been watching Prius prices for 5 years. I got a better deal than I thought was possible.

13. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm waiting until the end of this year to see what the 2011's look like and have an opportunity to get a good deal on a 2010, if there aren't any changes between the 2010 model and the 2011 model.

14. SDM44

SDM44 SeƱor Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I say this. If you know what you want, and they have exactly what you want at the right price, and if you're ready to buy now, and if you have the funds necessary to make the purchase without putting a strain on your financial situation, then I would buy the car now and enjoy it. You can play the waiting game and hope to save $1500 extra next month, but you also risk possibly not finding the same color/package(s) that you want at the same low price, before any new incentives. There are other reasons, but that's my main reason and how I look at a lot of things.

15. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I don't see any cash rebates on Prius happening. Not that it wouldn't be a good thing for all, but that would just look stupid after raising the MSRP pricing three times in the past 6-7 months. $400 here, $400 there, $280-$500 for Safety Connect and USB ... it's been pretty surprising. And, the cars' residuals keep rising with the increases (on leases). I wonder what they know about gas prices in 3 years that we don't! Anyway, what I do see is a continuation of the low leases because that benefits Toyota Financial, Toyota dealerships, and the consumer. The low lease ensures the following:

:)Toyota Financial earns the interest and financing of the car as opposed to someone using their CU or a dealership placing the loan with a different bank.

:)Toyota dealerships have better than a 50/50 chance (statistics show that 6 in 10 buyers turn their cars in after 3 years. The rest either total them or trade them for a different model car or sell them privately or TRADE them vs. turn them in to the dealer they bought them from) at a car that they can certify and sell used in 3 years, thus improving their used car sales, variety of cars to offer the public AND a vehicle they can sell a warranty on.

:)Toyota customers with good credit get a very low car payment to drive a great car, all the while giving them the chance to evaluate its performance, versatility, and experience great fuel economy and see if it will work for them long term. After 36 months, you can buy it out for wholesale or less (the residual is usually wholesale value or less) or refinance it or extend the lease another 6 months or trade it or sell it ... and time to build confidence back in a product that's suddenly the target of the media in a frenzy of rumor and hype and mistrust. Maybe some other politician will knock someone up or some wildly popular entertainment figure will do something wacky enough to move this debacle into the realm of reality. Let Toyota adjust the cars and do what's necessary to re-instate the integrity of the company and trust of the public.

If someone's TRULY concerned about the safety of the cars, no amount of cash will matter. Call it what you want. If getting "loyalty cash" means the difference between a deal and no deal, then the safety concerns of the car were never really in question.

..... well you get the picture.

I believe that this may be Toyota's inspirational moment where they also implement a 24 month lease special. (I am bolding this because I want Toyota to take notice!!! We need a special 24 month lease with a kick nice person residual on all models)

Anyway, while I agree with the statement below as well, because I have experienced it. It's just too easy anymore for them to slow or delay production ... far easier to slow or delay than to ramp up. To increase production, you'd need more parts quickly. To slow things down, you only need something else for the production teams to do elsewhere .....

Di

16. kilton

kilton New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got $28k out-the-door for an IV w/NAV in DC. Inventories are high. :)

17. kenopa

kenopa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Many thanks to all who responded with a buy/not buy opinion. We have decided to pull the trigger shortly. Dealer is truly driven to sell and has new Priuses (or Prii?) sitting all over his lot (like over 50, he says). Offering $200 under invoice plus $500 rebate plus another $500 for Toyota loyalty. Admits to hearing about possible additional incentives from Toyota, but doesn't know specifics and doesn't know if they apply to Prius. We will test drive next week (when roads here improve). Wife (who is 4'11") has some problem with seeing over hood even with seat fully raised. This thing is way different then Gen I.

18. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Note also that if you buy now, you are likely to be getting a pre-January MSRP increase car. And since that price increase is only a little bigger than the invoice increase, it makes it harder for dealers to go quite as low on later-delivered cars.