1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buy a high mileage Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by plasakow, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plasakow

plasakow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi. I'm considering buying a 2003 Prius with 140K miles. Price aside, can I get some opinions on the ins and outs of this? I'm not sure I would consider any other car with this many miles, but I really want a hybrid.

Thanks in advance.

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob the Bob @ Jun 21 2007, 05:19 PM) [snapback]466111[/snapback]</div>
    Try to find a 2004, the model change added a lot to the Prius. I was about to buy a new 2003 when the 2004 was announced. It was a lot more car for the same money and still is. There should not be a great cost difference.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob the Bob @ Jun 21 2007, 07:19 PM) [snapback]466111[/snapback]</div>
    Do you have a metric tool kit? Do you feel comfortable doing your own maintenance? If you do, no problem.

I bought the maintenance manual set for a little less than $300 and already had metric tools. Self-maintenance has no terrors for me. If you want some 'shopping' advice:
    1. When was transaxle oil last changed? Wrong answer: never. Negotiate a lower price.
    2. Inspect the throttle (remove air cleaner) for 'crud'? Something for an early look.
    3. What does the tire wear look like? Fixable, look for evidence of uneven wear. Negotiate alignment report.
    If you don't feel comfortable with self-maintenance, I'd avoid used cars. However, if you have a torque wrench, better still, more than one, you'll have a ball!

Bob Wilson

4. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    my prius has 170,000 KM but i guess that's no where near ur 03 you want to buy.

I had a 03, it was great, but honest to god 04 is just so much better, more space, more room, and somewhat more power (since the inverter was upgraded for HSD).

I got lucky and managed to trade my 03 to 04 with no extra cost minus the extra mileage, but these cars are warriors so the mileage is not a concern as long as you do all the maintainence and check your car once in awhile.

Its honestly knock on wood, i simply can't wait for phev conversions, this car will NEVER DIE!

PS: Also getting 60 mpg + in city driving highway on weekends ordeal, I never exceed 90km/h unless I'm a) running for my life
    or
    B) woke up late

Only advantage i see over 03 over 04 is maybe cheaper, in terms of the car itself and certain DIY items, as well as the small turning radius. But I like hatches way better, carrying items has never been the same!

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.