1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buy a Prius 5 with 200K and replaced engine?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by ApolloSol, Jun 4, 2018.

1. ApolloSol

ApolloSol New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The facts:
    2011 Prius Five very well equipped.
    • AW 17" Alloy Wheels, with Auto-level Control, Auto-off Feature, Headlamp Cleaners and Integrated Foglamps.
    • AY Advanced Technology Package and Performance Package
    This is a 1 Owner car that was diagnosed with a rod knock at 220,000 miles (oil starvation?) Car was purchased by someone else, who put in a used engine with approximately 70,000 miles. Car has a clean carfax but 1st owner had the bumper replaced due to a light accident. Car is for sale for $6,200 w/ tax Would like to get opinions here on this deal. Thank you.

2. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What's the kbb book value on the car? Even though the used engine might have fewer miles, the battery/interior/body will have the full amount of miles.

How long has the 2nd person owned the car? I'm just curious if he bought the car on the cheap, put in an inexpensive used engine and is quickly flipping it for a tidy profit. Or, if he actually owned and drove the car for a while. Nothing wrong with either situation, but it's good to know the history.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    sounds like a lot of money for a car with 200k, but what do i know? all the best!(y)

RCO likes this.
  4. Al Bundy

Al Bundy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    no, all the used motors have the same problems with the rings that this one does.. they are all built with the same parts by the same suppliers.. its an 8 year old high mile car with a blown motor so unless you get it for scrap price Id avoid it and just buy a newer one that runs.. I think 2013 is the first year after the ring problem was corrected.. good luck

RCO likes this.
  5. ApolloSol

ApolloSol New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    No long. Seller replaced the motor with plans for personal use than his car needs changed.

. I think you know! :)

That's what I been reading. I had not researched these cars until this opportunity came up. I am surprised as I expected these motor's to be more reliable. My other other 2000s Toyota is running like at champ at 260,000 miles.

After considering all the responses, I have decided not to pursue this deal. It was tempting as the car as so many great options. Thank you all.

bisco likes this.