1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buy a used gen 3 or a new / near new gen 4?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by weiwentg, Jul 27, 2017.

1. weiwentg

weiwentg New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, all,

This is my first post here. My wife and I have a 1997 Toyota Corolla that's no longer economical to repair. We are committed to getting a Toyota Prius. As the title indicates, the question is whether to get a used gen 3 Prius, or a Gen 4. I would like a backup camera.

We're in Minneapolis. We do 2-3 short road trips per year, plus my wife commutes about 10 miles one way to work. Figure on 10-15k miles per year. We have indoor, heated parking at our apartment. Wife parks outdoors at work, along with everyone else. We will either keep this one until it's no longer economical to repair, or we'll sell it and get an electric car when the charging infrastructure is better. We will be staying in the Twin Cities at least two more years, but we may have to move to a new city afterwards.

I can find Gen 3 Prius Threes with reasonable mileage from $14k to $18k. We could afford to one with cash on hand.

For Gen 4s, we would not get anything higher than a Prius Two. I should be able to get a new one for around $22k, net of Toyota's current offer of $2k cash. I can't find 2016 Prius Twos anywhere near me that are much less than this, so I'm not considering a used 2016 unless one turns up. We'd probably want a small loan, and we figure our credit is good for no more than a 3% rate.

The Gen 4s' enhanced safety features are potentially appealing, and I understand the interior quality is better. But my wife isn't that sold on the safety features. Is the Gen 4 worth considering? Is the Prius C worth a look at all? Definitely not interested in the Prius V. I would have got a Nissan Leaf, but the wife doesn't think she can keep up with the charging, and then road trips become a lot more involved.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    gen 4 is worth it theoretically. but only you can decide on the financial part.
    i don't know what kind of repairs you put into the corolla, but you won't get anything close to 20 years out of a prius without throwing some big bucks at it.
    all the best!(y)

Tande likes this.