1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buy Fergie's Hummer to save the earth

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by efusco, Sep 9, 2007.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Selling her H2 and giving
    <div align="left">
    </div>
    <div align="left">
    </div>
    <div align="left">It's quite pimped out.</div>
    <div align="left">[​IMG]
    </div>

2. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    To be truly faithful to her mission she should not sell it but take it to be crushed, then buy 10 more and have them crushed. Simply selling it to someone else who will burn up fossil fuel with it does little but make a nice headline that'll be forgotten two days later.

MB

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Sep 9 2007, 01:11 PM) [snapback]509634[/snapback]</div>
    That's what I was thinking.

It's still on the road. Someone else is driving it. What's the point? That she donates the money? Crush it and donate the value. Buy them up and take them off the road. (Of course, that won't stop GM from making more. And if they become "limited" the value just goes up.)

4. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OTOH if she doesn't sell it the person that wants one just goes and buys another one from someone else. Maybe he just goes out and buys a new one which puts more money into GM's pocket which means that GM can make even more and the buyer still goes about his/her merry way polluting and wasting resources. Simply crushing is simply wasteful and recylcing is also a waste of natural resources in this case because you never get back the value of the materials put into the product. She should sell it and donate the money to a good cause.

Wildkow

p.s. Hmmmm, I'd like to see her give that Big-Boy a wax job and a good rub down for a lasting shine! :p

5. tballx

tballx New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Crushing it then recycling the materials would be awesome. Cast it in bronze and put it on display next to a dinosaur skeleton. I would pay $1000 toward that cause. The PR value alone would be priceless.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Why did she buy a Hummer in the first place? Regardless, once she's gotten rid of it, if she wants to come live with me I'll buy her a Xebra and pimp it out for her as fancy as she likes. You can't find a better ride today. (Until the Tesla Roadster comes out, of course.)

7. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Evan, you chickened out by not naming the thread
    "Fergie to sell hummer!"
    She could earn enough money in 1 day to buy 100 Prii!

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 9 2007, 02:19 PM) [snapback]509639[/snapback]</div>
    Buying them up and crushing them is probably the worst thing you can do. As you point out, GM will just make more. It's like buying some animal to rescue it from a nasty petstore. You saved one, but the store pockets the profits, and gets another animal to abuse and neglect in the store window.

9. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Who the F*ck is Fergie? Not the Duchess of York nor the Manager of Man U.

Crush the bloody thing and get it off the road.

10. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, quite pimped out indeed but who would want to buy a car that can't even fit in the parking space in which it's displayed?

11. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Sep 10 2007, 12:50 PM) [snapback]510205[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: !!LOLOLOL!! :lol:

12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Sep 10 2007, 12:50 PM) [snapback]510205[/snapback]</div>
    Is "hummer" a euphemism for sex? This lady is hot, but I doubt she could earn two million dollars in one day even at the highest-class cat house in Nevada.

13. pogo

pogo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Sep 9 2007, 11:11 AM) [snapback]509634[/snapback]</div>
    How is it different than buying and selling carbon credits? OTOH I'm so used to seeing celebrity sales on fleaBay that I thought it was a different "Fergie". Last time I looked someone is willing to pay $16000 for Colbert's cast.

14. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Sep 9 2007, 11:11 AM) [snapback]509634[/snapback]</div>
    I've given this some thought. I think that once bought, the damage is done, and that selling it is the best choice.

If she has it crushed, the potential buyer will buy one off the lot, GM gets the profit and the incentive to continue building them, the same number of Hummers is on the road, and there's a little more crap in the landfill.

If she keeps it and just does not drive it, it's the same as above, except the landfill does not get it until it rusts.

At least by selling it, GM loses one new sale, because the buyer of Fergie's presumably does not buy a new one.

It reminds me of an incident many years ago. I lived in rural ND, and there was a local 10 K fun run. As a joke, knowing that I am a militant non-smoker, they gave me a pack of cigarettes as a "prize" for my age group. Even though I knew it was a joke, I hate tobacco so much I smashed up all the cigarettes. I should have given the pack back. Nobody smoked fewer cigarettes on account of my act, but if I had returned them, someone would have bought one less new pack.

I made the wrong decision. Fergie made the right decision. Except that she never should have bought it in the first place.

OTOH, someone might make the argument that this auction is good publicity for Hummer and may incite someone to buy one who wouldn't otherwise. But I kind of doubt it.

15. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Sep 11 2007, 05:40 AM) [snapback]510217[/snapback]</div>
    She is the front woman of Black Eye Peas recently gone solo.