1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buy gas on May 15?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by etyler88, May 16, 2007.

?
  1. YES, boycots don't work

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. NO, I made difference

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. YES, whoops

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, I did not need gas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think the boycot makes a little difference. For example, I skipped doing some errands and saved gas. Sure I should do that more often and maybe I will now.

2. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(etyler88 @ May 16 2007, 11:06 AM) [snapback]443391[/snapback]</div>
    It created some media attention, so in that respect it was successful. The only real way for consumers to drive gas prices down is to consume less. I propose that the 15th of every month be use-no-petroleum day.

3. jewelerdave

jewelerdave New Member

Frikkin Idiots,
    I cant believe that people actually thought that not buying on a day would make a difference when it comes down to consumption.

I can say with pride since I got my prius I have actually saved 290 gallons of gas in 3 months.

Far more than not filling up one 20 gallon tank.

If people wanted to "support our troops" save money and cut consumption they should have organized a get a new air filter and make sure your tires are at correct pressure day, and get the junk out of the trunk day.

I am quite sure that if you could get every American or even every person in the world to do this and get there cars back up to operating efficiency it could very well drop consumption by %5 and in oil and gas that is huge!

I dont have the time to organize it, but spread the word as every little bit helps!

Thanks,

Dave

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1 day is not going to make a difference cause eventually you'll need to refuel. Using LESS is what's going to make a difference.

5. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm skipping the whole month of May.

Wayne

6. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ May 16 2007, 01:55 PM) [snapback]443505[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sssshhuuusshhh! I'm trying to get my first 600 mile tank.

Bob Wilson

8. priussoris

priussoris New Member

I waited till today 500 mile tank was getting dry..

BTW, I did save 3 cents per gal. so it worked just not good enough :(

9. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jewelerdave @ May 16 2007, 11:21 AM) [snapback]443409[/snapback]</div>
    That's a lot of gas that you do use! Assuming your mileage doubled with buying the Prius, that means you're still using 290 gallons/3 months. Even at my height of gas consumption, I used about half that, and I thought that was a lot. Okay, you've improved, and I hate to burst your bubble, but you're still well above average in gal/month consumption. :huh:

U.S. average: 12K miles/year, 21 mpg = 570/12 = 48 gal/month (approx, per vehicle, according to EPA)
    Not unusual: 20K miles/year, 20 mpg = 1000/12 = 80 gal/month (approx)

I was at 46 gal/month, but by selectively changing jobs, then buying a Prius I went to 15 gal/month (that includes some long trips, so most months are 12 gal/month, punctuated by a 20+ gallon month). With a lucky move by my company into easy biking distance, it'll be much lower this year. :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ May 16 2007, 12:55 PM) [snapback]443505[/snapback]</div>
    Good! I last filled on April 15th. With luck I can skip May as well. (That's with a caveat - my wife is now driving the Prius and I drive the Accord. She gave it to me with 3/4 tank at the beginning of the month which is now about 1/2, and since she drives more, she has filled the Prius already this month and will likely do it again. Did this come out in a confusing way? We switched cars when both had about 3/4 tank, and the bottom line is I still won't fill up in May).

10. jewelerdave

jewelerdave New Member

Yes it was a lot of gas I was using and I did better than double the efficiency, I improved about 5 times.
    Previous daily drivers were a 78 corvette at about 9mpg
    And an old jeep at about 15mpg.
    With the prius I am averaging just under 50mpg a 3 to 5 time decrease in consumption. Witch I think is wonderful.
    I also did my estimate based on millage used with the prius had I substituted in the other cars. As with the prius now in my possession I have been able to take a couple trips I would not otherwise have done, as well I have given many people rides to work etc.

Previously id average about 200 to 300 miles a week, or a 20 gallon tank of gas. ie 80 to 100 gallons a month.
    Granted there is always lets take the new car for a spin and trip on the week ends but now thats wearing off, I should be down to the 25 gallon a month rate or less.

Likewise extra miles were used as on days I did not need to drive my girlfriend drove instead. So some of that is sharing. Also keeping a 17mpg car off the road on those days.

So all around the prius is doing a good job of conserving as its being used in one facet or another all the time.

11. wayne60014

wayne60014 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did not buy gas on the 15th, since I still have a 1/4 tank left after 450 miles. :p

12. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  13. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Darell, you smug bastard, how much gasoline did you buy for your RAV4 on May 15?

Nate

14. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ May 16 2007, 11:03 AM) [snapback]443512[/snapback]</div>
    Me too, but I'm only about 40% of the way there. Who knows if that can last. Anyway, I got my last gas on the 9th, and it will at least be the 22nd before I get more.

Dave M.

15. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's funny how people whinge and moan when simple economics is against them and their habits. If you want to fix the problem REDUCE demand... long term. It will be an extraordinary day when someone (a politician that is) finally comes out and says it. Hopefully, battery technology will make it a moot point.

16. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ May 16 2007, 02:36 PM) [snapback]443697[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, it gets worse. Far worse. Not only have I not bought gas for the Prius for a couple of months now (biggest problem there is keeping the Aux battery charged!) but we also have been driving the Rav a bit less as well. In fact, on the 15th, I picked up our new tandem bicycle. Now, after taking my daughter to school, I then ride my wife into work.

Now... what are we going to do with all the extra solar electricity that we aren't using in the car? Just when you thought it couldn't get any smugger.... (Note: bike currently set up for daughter. My wife isn't that short!)

[​IMG]

It would be SO much better to promote a "don't drive today" day instead of skipping one day of filling up. I mean if folks are puting in the effort of this thing, why not try to actually make a difference??

17. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jewelerdave @ May 16 2007, 10:21 AM) [snapback]443409[/snapback]</div>

5% huh? wow you're good at math. or is that a guess?

18. jewelerdave

jewelerdave New Member

Well of course its a guess but generally peoples tires are low and the air filter is dirty, in combination most people can get back the loss, typically %5
    If you insist on being so smug next time I shall use the phrase "a varying few percent". Would this be PC and make you feel warm and fuzzy about it? :lol:

19. landstander

landstander darling no baka

A place where the nuts hunt the squirrels
    Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 16 2007, 05:05 PM) [snapback]443716[/snapback]</div>
    Sweet! That's quite a bit nicer than our tandem, which I used to ride with my autistic sister-in-law until she passed away last spring. I'm hoping to convince my wife to give it a go one of these days, although I expect this will take some time yet... no hurry.

20. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(landstander @ May 16 2007, 04:16 PM) [snapback]443761[/snapback]</div>
    They certainly do get expensive in a hurry. Good thing I'm not into the alt-vehicle thing to save money! I spent more on this than on my first car, that's for certain. And it was a nice car! :) I figured if I was going to do it, I didn't want to screw around. Custom paint and all (ostensibly my wife's BD present).