1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buy New 2010 or Used 2008??

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by talk2me, Sep 5, 2009.

1. talk2me

talk2me New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I test drove a prius for the first time on Thursday & I am hooked:) So now I am trying to decide: buy a used 2008 or a new 2010?!

There are 3 2008 cars available, 2 are package 2 & 1 is package 5. I thought that the nav/bluetooth would be really great for me, but when I have read a lot of the info on this forum it seems that people tend to think it isn't worth the money (and I do already have a portable garmin)

I looked at a 2010 package 2 or package 3.

The decision:
    is there enough of a difference with the 'new' features on a 2010 that I should pay the extra $?

Is there any 'negotiation' in the cost of the prius? It seems like everyone is paying full sticker, is that true?

Thanks!! I can't wait to be driving my own Prius!

2. claridiva

claridiva New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    First, welcome to Prius Chat!

You will find as many different opinions on this matter as people on this site. Some love their gen 2 and would not trade for a gen 3; others like myself waited for the gen 3 specifically (and patiently...well, sort of ) because we love the new design and better fuel consumption, handling, etc.

That being said, you just have to decide which car fits YOU the best and which you can most afford. If getting a package 5 on a 2008 offers you more options that you desire for less money than a gen 3 Prius II, and you want those options, then that should be a significant factor. Which one drives more comfortably for you? There are just too many personal preferences to consider when making a big purchase.

You will be happy with either one, I can assure you of that!! I love my 2010 Prius II, and I wouldn't trade it in for the world, but there are many people out there who are happier with their higher package gen 2s.

Happy Prius hunting and let us know what you decide to do! Best to you!!

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i say the same thing on all posts like this; if you are asking this question, then money is a major consideration. if you can get a used 2008 decent miles with a large discount over a new car, buy it.

we have 2007- 08's with less than 35,000 miles going for ½ the cost of a new car. there is no way you can justify buying a 2010 financially.

now i have a 2006 and a 2010. they are NOT the same car. now, it may not be like going from Ford to Lincoln or chevy to Cadillac, but its definitely like going from a basic trim to a deluxe.

so there are other considerations besides price so all in all.... i guess, i am no help. sorry

4. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A few months ago, I borrowed a friends prius and I was enamored! It started me on my journey to sell my honda and get one of my very own. I too, wasn't sure at first which I wanted/was willing to pay for. This is what finally won me over to the Gen III

. It's faster, and has more power. It also has three modes, including eco so I can get the fuel economy I want most of the time, but still merge in traffic with no problems.

. Because I'm a single mom, grad student combo, having reliable transportation means A LOT. It's not that I think Gen II is unreliable, but as cars age, your risk of something going wrong increases. There are still enough unknowns about the aging of a prius that I decided to invest in a new one to delay my experiencing that a few more years.

. In part, this car is more than just transportation for me, it's a representation of who I want to be in this world. A part of who I see myself to be and honestly, the Gen III fits that schema better.

. I have a garmin too and was very torn about the built in nav. I test drove several cars from several dealers and have spent over 3 hours pairing my phone, and using all the features to decide if it's worth the extra 2030 to me. I LOVE the blue tooth no question I wanted that. The last time I test drove I really got to play with the NAV and I like it a lot better than my garmin. It acts to integrate my ipod and phone usage with the rest of the features and really did offer "good" NAV functionality. The one big annoyance is that you have to pull over to have full access to it. It also has voice activated features. I was doubtful about how well they would work, but they worked great for me! I was pleasantly surprised.

. I love the touch tracer display

. In my area used Prii fetch a premium so it would be hard to find one someone is willing to go down in price on.

. On a negative note, getting the package III, I will be giving up the three door smart key that I am currently enjoying on the Gen II. I really wish Toyota had made that standard on all Prii.

JMHO,

Happy hybrid hunting!
    ~oct

5. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have an 08 and am very satisfied. Don't think the 10 is different enough to justify the extra cost.
    On the other hand, if an 08 is priced only a couple $K lower than a new 10, and it is out of warranty (>35K miles), the 10 may be a better buy. That's assuming base price for the 10, about $23K. Spending much more than that for a Prius--I don't think you get your money's worth.

Right now, you can get a certified 08 (1 yr warranty) at a dealer for $18-20K. Uncertified, maybe $16-18K, depending on the mileage. I saw an 08 for $16K out of warranty a couple of months ago. Told my wife, but she wants to keep her Civic.

I would probably spend a little extra, and buy a dealer trade that's certified. An 06-08
    would be an excellent used car to consider.

6. blippo

blippo New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would say, it all depends on what style interior and exterior you like better and how much extra you're willing to pay for a new 2010.

7. texsome

texsome Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2010 is improved. But not hugely improved.

But you dont say what the cost difference would be, this is critical.

If you can get a low mileage 2008 for half of new like suggested above It would be economically foolish not to get the 2008. Even is less than half off a 2 year old car with certified warranty anda decent discount is almost always a better economic deal.

Most dealers are still selling at msrp or above.

But sometimes people buy with their hearts not their logic :D