1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buy Now or Wait

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mi3ke, May 7, 2008.

1. Mi3ke

Mi3ke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The '89 Jetta I have now should last another year or so. (or so says the guy who works on my car)(BTW, still gets 30 mpg). I can wait until 2010 for the plug in, but does it make more sense to get an '09 and start saving money now? With the cost of gas going up up up ($3.55/gal here in Abq today), do I start saving now instead of later? Your thoughts...

Cheers,Mi3ke

PS: Opps, sorry, looks like I posted in hte wrong place, could a Mod please move it to main forum. Thanks.

2. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    wait. definitely.

3. 928Quest

928Quest Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You might not have a choice now as many dealers are out of stock and waiting lines are forming for the privillege of paying over MSRP.

4. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If the question is to save now, or to save later: I would say save both now and later. Who knows, something may happen which requires you to replace your Jetta before you plan it.

That said, whether you wait or buy now really depends on how many miles you drive a year...

5. Weirdo23

Weirdo23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am in a similar situation. My '93 Jeep cherokee is becoming a burden at the pump even though it gets 22-25 MPG (it's a 4 cyl model). It has 134,000+ miles on it so there's no telling how much life is left in it before it gets prohibitively expensive to operate. I drive 32 miles each direction to work and figured a car with twice the fuel economy would save me at least $100/month at the pump, which is about 25% of the car payment. So I ordered a Prius. I'd rather put the money toward a car payment than just giving it to the oil companies.

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You probably can't get an '08 any more.

Much as I like the idea of the plugin I would not buy the first model year (presumably the 2010 model). The first year always has some bugs to be worked out.