1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buy the car and lease the battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Swanny1172, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I found this very interesting to say the least.

Full story: http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/09/autos/gm_e...dex.htm?cnn=yes

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some of you may have seen me talk about the gongos.autoinsight.com community that I participate in. One of the technology sub-forums surveys I participated in asked about my opinion about leasing the battery. I was pretty negative on it.

3. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Aug 9 2007, 05:00 PM) [snapback]493231[/snapback]</div>
    I can't see how that would be a good plan. I know that I would never buy a vehicle where you had to lease a required component. You would then be at the mercy of GM if you wanted to continue to drive the vehicle. You would only have two options:

Pay what ever GM wants for it's battery lease per month
    Turn you car into a expensive piece of lawn art

However, this is the same thing that Think is talking about when they reintroduce their EV to the US.

4. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I guess I just don't see how it would work. Batteries are a consumable. By the time you are done with them, they have no real value, which is why I can't see how a lease would work. On every other kind of lease I am familar with, whatever you are leasing still has some value at the end of the lease term, which is the residual value.

5. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think the battery has quite a bit of value in the metals that are in them. They might also have enough juice in them to work for other applicaitons like safe computer power etc.

So I think GM in return for getting the battery back might be able to lower the price.

That said I have no real idea how much it would be worth?

/Robert

6. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm not sure there currently is much of a market for used batteries. According to Battery University.com (an on-line resource that provides practical battery knowledge for engineers, educators, students and battery users alike), the flat cost to recycle batteries is about $1,000 to $2,000US per ton. Significant subsidies are sill required from manufacturers, agencies and governments to support the battery recycling programs. http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-20.htm

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Simply the latest in a long string of BS schemes.
    _H*

8. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Aug 9 2007, 06:12 PM) [snapback]493237[/snapback]</div>
    From an accounting point of view there are two types of leases:

1. Operating lease
    2. Financial lease

You can have an operating lease for as long as you want including as long as the life of the item. When you don't have the initial capital an operating lease could be the option. Personally I would never lease (except for a very short term requirement) unless it can be at least made tax deductible. As you correctly stated the battery is consumable and the car is a depreciating asset.

9. tballx

tballx New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prius 07 @ Aug 9 2007, 06:09 PM) [snapback]493304[/snapback]</div>
    In US GAAP there is no financial lease. You may have meant a capital lease. Either one of these two leases is only from the perspective of the lessee. In US GAAP, SFAS 13 also lays out several different flavors of leases from the standpoint of the lessor: sales type lease, direct financing lease, operating lease and my favorite, the leveraged lease.

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So when the lease is up and GM recalls all of their batteries.....you have to pay to crush your own car.

Brilliant. Simply brilliant.

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The only up-side might be if someone builds a better battery that you could buy outright. Get a short cheap lease initially, swap out for a good 3rd party unit. My thinking being these would need to be relatively easily swapable if the plan is leases.

But yea, my reservations were similar...flashbacks to the EV1 leases.

BTW, gm-volt.com has a little new info on the Volt. Supposedly a working concept should be on the road by the end of the year and they're sticking to their "late 2010" for going to production date.

12. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 9 2007, 08:43 PM) [snapback]493346[/snapback]</div>

LOL

13. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius did not undergo a whole lot of public ballyhoo vapor while
    it was being developed. It stayed quietly in the skunk works until
    it was ready, and was then shown to the public.
    What's we're seeing about this Volt stuff speaks volumes -- volumes
    that GM probably doesn't want us to hear.
    _H*

14. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Aug 9 2007, 06:07 PM) [snapback]493303[/snapback]</div>
    It really does seem that way.... I guess that GM still doesn't 'get it'....

15. chogan

chogan New Member

From the description this sounds as if the main reason for the lease is financial -- GM wants the apparent purchase price of the vehicle to be lower. (As opposed to leasing it as a form of warranty or to allow easy upgrade.) I think the Think was described the same way.

So GM's target market for the Volt consists of people who:

1) Are smart enough to want electric propulsion yet dumb enough to be fooled about the cost if you break their monthly payment into two pieces (loan and lease).
    2) Want an EV-like car and believe GM will deal in good faith and support the EV portion of the car into the indefinite future.
    3) Have no need to carry more than two adults (limited rear legroom) or bulky objects (no hatchback).

It all comes down to money. I read what clett has posted here about projected production cost at volume for the batteries, and either his sources are totally out to lunch (unlikely) or GM is just unwilling to make the investment here. They can't sell 10,000 of these profitably at a reasonable price, but they can sell 250,000. But they're not willing to take a loss on the first 10,000 to buy the potential market of 250,000. So they must judge that they have only a small chance of selling enough to get high profits at high volume, and hence, they are requiring the car to be priced so that it makes adequate profit at low volume. Minimizes their risk of loss, but I think it also minimizes their potential for gain. If Henry Ford had thought that way they would still be making cars by hand. And I think they are fundamentally wrong. This car, priced like a Prius, would be a category-killer urban commuter car. And GM just can't see that, I guess.

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Chogan's got it right. The survey questions I filled out threw around some numbers. People are going to balk at $50k purchase price, but might be more likely to accept a $35k purchase price with a $2500 annual lease kinda thing.

I think GM sees this cost issue as a real potential problem...making the car profitable while getting the range and features it needs and throwing a bone to its service departments that will be losing a lot of money they otherwise would have made on oil and filter changes and other routine maintenance.

Again, I'm not one that would personally be for a lease option for all the reasons I and others mentioned in prior posts. But I can understand what GM is trying to do. If they put out a mid-size 4 seater PHEV40 for $50k and only 5000 of them sell b/c it's outside the price range that most people are willing to pay for a car in that class the Volt will fail and they'll lose all the money spent on R&D...and marketing.

While we all would like to sit here and see GM as a big evil do-nothing trying to screw us I think the complexities of this project are greater than many of us appreciate or are willing to acknowledge.

17. priussoris

priussoris New Member

I think Chrysler/Dodge should build the EV car now since they are doing Lifetime powertrain warranty.
    It would be cheaper on them if they were dealing with electric motors.. :p

I think this gimmick will break the camels back again.. ready for another bailout

As for as the GM volt battery lease , just plain old talking smack, Very expensive lawn art as said prior.

18. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chogan @ Aug 10 2007, 04:59 AM) [snapback]493465[/snapback]</div>
    This sounds like the decision process that was used when GM made the original decision to forgo hybrids all over again:

1. We are not going to "eat" a $3,000 per unit premium on the initial production volume, and
    2.) Gas will never get above $3.00 per gallon. Therefore, there is no market for the hybrid car....

Maybe GM should just let Toyota show them how the car business works one more time.... I am really starting to wonder if GM is just too far behind today's (and tomorrow's) market? Is there going to be another press conference in 5-7 years where management says its mea culpas about how who could have guessed that the market had changed... sound familiar????

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Aug 10 2007, 09:11 AM) [snapback]493504[/snapback]</div>
    But we're not talking about $3000, we're talking about $10-15k, and there's a psychological price barrier for many Americans. Will GM need to eat some loss initially...undoubtedly...but they've got to find a compromise on price, features, how much financial hit they're willing to take to get this car into the market place, etc. Marketing, I think, will be a major issue here. Commercials like were used for the EV1 won't cut it. They'll need to make their case showing why paying a premium up-front is going to pay off in fuel savings and world saving later on.

I always come away from these posts thinking I must sound like a GM apologist...I don't intend to be. I think one has to be realistic and balanced. I have my skepticism about GM too, but that doesn't mean that everything they announce/suggest/consider/say I will immediately discount and bad-mouth. I'm not out there screaming to the world that the Volt and GM will save us all, but neither am I going to say they're doomed to fail based only on their recent history. I believe they want to succeed and I believe they genuinely plan to build and sell the Volt. I also believe that they have the potential to screw it up, but am hoping for the best.

20. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 10 2007, 05:21 AM) [snapback]493468[/snapback]</div>
    efusco, you make valid points; but the car business is not about doing the conservative thing. If that were the case, so much of the variety that car buyers are presented with would never have seen the light of day. The second gen (BMW) MINI comes to mind. At the time of its release, BMW was questioned about the viability of the concept. We all know what happened with the MINI. The same thing applies for the PHEV. Toyota proved the viability of the hybrid market segment. GM is trying to leap-frog Toyota but appears to be unwilling to make the necessary investment in the market segment. I just don't see how "lease the battery" gets them to the front of the line in the PHEV segment. Having a number of options ranging from outright purchase of the battery to lease the battery would have made more sense (and certainly would have been a better communication of GM's commitment to the segment). As others have posted, it just smacks of the EV-1 experience all over again.