1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buy the prius for the electric drive....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by horton the elder, Feb 9, 2006.

1. horton the elder

horton the elder New Member

:) hi folks,

I couldnt help but respond to some of these posts about mileage. I am currently finishing my degree in electronics. When I get done with this I will probably start a business retrofitting mainly prius' The first one I will do is my own. I sold my 01 echo that got 41 mpg for a prius that I knowingly gets 48-51 mpg just from reading the reviews. But why would I sell my echo that has already been payed off, which costs 10k less than the prius for a car that only gets at most 5 or 10 mpg more? Here is the answer. The prius has the potential to be driven using electric only mode for as long as you have the power to provide the electric drive with. So when I hear things about how horrible this car is and the mpg epa rating is a big flaw, it really doesn't matter if it is or isn't. Any complaint that has been made about this car is battery related. Low mpg, car dying etc. I will be a second to agree, I bought this car knowing that toyota got skimpy on the battery size. 1.3kw nickel metal hydride, when every other piece of electronic device you buy from anywhere else uses lithium ion. I don't know anything electronic I have bought within the last 3 years that has used nickel metal hydride batteries except the prius. The car is as good as cars can be made and the electric engine will suffice 15 years from now when lith-ion cells are as cheap as dirt. You don't buy the car for mileage, buy it for the electric drive. The batteries can be replaced just like in your laptop or portable tv etc. For all of those people frustrated about not getting your ROI. It's coming, in a huge way. You'll soon be able to plug your car in to a standard outlet at night and even if things go a little better than expected in the field of fast charging lith-ion capicitors, you'll be able to charge it in less than 10 min. Even at having to let it charge for eight hours is better than waiting for a 50 percent efficient hydrogen powered vehicle. Hydrogen has several giant leaps to go before it makes sense to be using it, plug in hybrids have less than a half a leap. The car has already been invented with an engine that can get you going at the speeds and torque you need, and has been tested and proven. The 120 volt electric outlet is already in place. One small step... a slightly bigger cheapter battery.
    I won't probably wait until they come down, because as I have told everyone who asks how I like my car" Once you have driven in electric mode, you'll never ever want to own another gas powered car again." The technology behind fuel cell vehicles won't exactlly be in vein either. All the auto companies need to do is remove the fuel cell stack and replace it with batteries. The power source is what the whole hold up is in the process of becoming oil free, not the car itself or the engine etc.

hope this was interesting.

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Agreed! http://www.darelldd.com/ev/ (I get zero MPG, by the way...)

You certainly don't have to replace the Fuel Cell stack with batteries. Just leave the dang batteries where they belong in the first place!

3. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Darell,
    Do you drive zero mile per a lot of gallons?
    What a wasting energy. :)

Anyway, I have a question about plug-in Prius.
    Looking at FAQ page of EDrive...
    - Their plug-in Prius can run 50-60 miles EV mode using 9kWh battery to DoD 80%.
    - The battery lasts 6 to 8 years which means about 2,500 cycles.

I suppose 2,000 cycles of DoD 70% is achievable.
    Do you think the 2,500 cycles of DoD 80% will be real?

Ken@Japan

4. judibob

judibob New Member

Very well said, Horton. I agree completely. I bought the car with much the same foresight. I'm an ME, not EE, so have a limited knowledge in that area, but to understand energy storage is not too complicated. And, A TON of research is going into electric energy storage (i.e. batteries) at the moment, much the same as fuel cell tech.
    Looking at the Mechanics, and the impressive control strategy going on behind that video screen is what I bought the car for, along with the Toyota quality reputation and the Atkinson cycle engine they've used.
    The car is a bargain in my opinion, and HAS to be subsidized to some degree by Toyota. To pay off the engrg. development alone you'd have to add $5k to the price of the car, I would think.
    Anyway, I'm on the prowl for those aftermarket mods that you'll go into business with!

5. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well said,

The Prius is just a small step (*and in many ways a step backwards for Toyota since they already have an EV car they refuse to sell!*). I too hope that plug-in hybrids will be the next step and here whitin a few years. I sure know I love to cruise in EV mode in this car and with just a bit more battery I could get to crusing speed on EV as well.

What I like about hybrids is that it shows a simple way to success with each step feasable (and maybe even profitable).

I like the hybrid step we are in. This step proves to more and more people DAILY that battery cars don't suck and have real world gains. All people who drives them loves them and sing their praise. Within a year or two hybrids will be standrad an even uninterested car shoppers will choose them more and more (they camry is important here)

The next logical step is too reintroduce the Prius as a plug-in hybrid. You market it (again) as a techo geek car (but with a cute design) and you don't say that everyone has to do it. You simply say that this car when plugged in can probably take you to work and back and never start its combustion engine. If you go futher you still have your combustion engine and all it's unlimited range glory. Geeks like us wiull buy it and drive it and sing it's praise. A few year later when plug-in isn't so "scary" and has been proven reliable the camry gets re-introduced with plug-in feature

At this time it's time to geek out the Prius again. This time you make the Prius a true EV car. You sell it as a true commuter car (by this time I think this will be more accepted because plug-in hybrids have shown that EV mode works even though that is true today) but with a range of a couple of hundred miles AND with a quick charge time of less then an hours (and a full charge in a couple). Geeks like us buy the car and sings ir praise. More and more work, etc starts setting up charging stations to lure in customers ("free charge-up with dinner!", "Come to our mall, we'll charge you up!"). This time I don't think the camry will follow but you might be able to reintroduce the Camry with basically just a "back-up" engine. The performance is from pure EV but if you would run out you can cruise (like today's Prius EV mode) on ICE (if you have too).

Ahh! a man can dream! In the end I'm sure it's just another fad and GM is right and we all need heavy tractors (sorry I mean SUVs).

6. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah well. I either get zero mpg, or infinite mpg, I can never decide which makes the most sense. I don't go anywhere on a gallon of gas, but I go everywhere without a gallon of gas. Hmmm. :)
    In a modern Li-ion or Li-poly pack, I sure do. If you haven't yet seen the Rav4EV reliability reports, you might be as surprised as Toyota was to learn that the NiMH batteries in these Rav4's have now lasted over 10 years and 150k+ miles. Southern Ca Edison has several million miles on Rav4EVs (spread amongst their hundreds of vehicles). And all this was accomplished on 10-year-old battery technology. We typically "abuse" the heck out of our batteries (going from 100% to 0 Dod somewhat regularly).

7. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  8. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  9. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I hate to burst your bubble, but the reason there aren't any Li-Ion powered cars in production now is due to battery issues. NiMH is the best solution today and that's why it's in the Prius, HH, 400H, Civic, Fusion, etc. There are different requirements when comparing the energy needs of an Ipod to a Prius.

Also, you just won't be able to swap out the NiMH batteries with a Li-Ion replacement without upgrading the software (and maybe some hardware) to change the charge/discharge control strategy. The two battery chemistries react differently during charging/discharging and there are some things to watch out for.

10. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Was likely true when these cars were designed. I don't believe it is true today. Have you heard of Valence? This car uses Valence Li-ion batteries.
    http://www.darelldd.com/ev/wrightspeed.htm

Quite true! But also not insurmountable as the EnergyCS guys have found.

11. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm Glad you guys know what your talking about LOL :blink:

12. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for your comments.

It's good to know the technologies are improvement.
    Also, it is a good news RAV4 EV's and their NiMH's are working great.
    Do you have any link to the reliability reports?
    I'm wondering the DoD level.

Ken@Japan

13. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here is a bunch of info and links for you.
    http://www.darelldd.com/ev/rav_data.htm

Feel free to cruise around my site. Lots of info.

14. horton the elder

:rolleyes: A power source is a power source, doesn't matter if it's PEMhydro, lith-ion, solar, wind. Two different power sources can be configured to put out exactly the same wattage, current or voltage. Yes, true there may be some minor things I might have to think about when the car starts putting energy back into the car for regenerative braking and stuff, but otherwise putting lith-ion cells in parallel sounds good to me. As far as corporations go, They could have easily gone ahead and put a slightly larger nimh battery in the prius and to top it off more generators for regenerative braking. Why not regenerative driving? Unfortunately corporations are controlled by people that know nothing about nor do they care about technology and its implications and really don't appreciate it's full potential. That is why you will never see the CEO of a large company develop the product himself or even have a clue on how to. Usually if corporations get talent, the talent goes on to start their own company without the hinderence of the pesky stockholders and marketing people that worry about some insane little detail about the batteries. Yes, batteries can be explosive, mainly nimh since it is hydrogen solidified basically. If I ever do go into business doing this, I will make strict yet trivial guidelines for people to follow who buy the mod. I have just read about way too many stupid complaints about the prius from people that don't have a clue what they just bought. Also, gasoline has many issues as well, Try wieghing them against the issues of batteries. You'll find that batteries turn out to be the victim of stereotyping. That's a fact. I can see in order for the economy and people in general to change it's going to take some serious education on energy and I guess a magic power source that doesn't pollute, doesn't explode, never needs charging, gets the energy from another dimension somewhere and costs 1 dollar to make before people will accept it over gasoline. The best thing to do here guys is when gas goes up to 5 a gallon, Drive your prius and tell them what it costs to get one with the upgrade that allows it to be plugged in. They will flock to the nearest dealer and buy them up so fast it will make your head spin. You won't hear any complaints about having to get up off their lazy nice person after work, pick up the plug and use a small amount of energy to plug the car in. In the case of those rich yuppies driving hummers, A BIG THANKS GOES OUT TO YOU FOR THE INCREASE IN MY OIL COMPANY STOCK. THE MORE YOU SPEND AT THE PUMP THE RICHER I GET. That should piss em off good and inspire them lol.

By the way the only issue that gasoline doesn't have, is that its cheap, even at 2.60 a gallon.

regards

15. MtnTraveler

MtnTraveler New Member

Is your degree electronics or electrical engineering?

I'm sure the Prius was optimized for cost, weight, mileage, emissions, appeal, marketability, and other factors. If you design for only one of the factors, you may not be able to sell the car. There is a balance between what they thought works best between ICE and battery power, etc.

Believe me, the engineers consider all these things and it ain't easy to decide how to weight the various factors, or to trade between them.

So... if you plug the batteries into the wall, you are still using energy. What's more efficient? 120V AC supplied by dams/coal/oil/nuclear/solar or gasoline? That might be an interesting thing to compare. Maybe plugging the car into the wall costs more due to inefficiencies of creating and transporting electric energy? Maybe it is better (especially where power is created by hydro or some other renewable resource)?

16. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Careful! As soon as we think something is "optimal" innovation dies. There is always room for improvement. What might be the most marketable is not neccessarily the best product for everybody.

Gasoline will lose this one every time. Yes, we're obviously still using energy to charge batteries, but NOTHING like the amount of energy we use when we burn gasoline in an ICE. The best gasoline ICE (not found in automobiles!) is about 30% efficient. Electric motors are in the high 90's. When we compare well-to-wheels, electricity is very hard to beat for efficiency (there are losses in both processes of course) and cost, and possibly more importantly, national security. We make all of our electricity domestically, from mostly domestic sources of energy. Same can't be said of gasoline by a long shot.

And here's the REALLY big surprise to most - there's enough electricity used to make a gallon of gasoline to power my car 20 or more miles down the road. It takes gobs of electricity to make gasoline. If you bypass that step, you're WAY the heck ahead with charging batteries instead of using that electricity to first make gasoline. And we haven't even started in on clean air and water... or the potential to make electricity cleanly (impossible to make clean gasoline!)...

Here is some information that I've collected on the subject:
    http://www.darelldd.com/ev/emissions.htm

17. horton the elder

<_< well, From my experience if your dealing with big corporations run by
    undertakers and morticians I really can't be sure of anything at all can I? Everyday I pick up the newspaper and read about how some CEO stole several million dollars from xyz corp. Literally! I got sick of hearing it so I don't listen to newsradio anymore
    My degree program is electronic systems. Not that it matters, you can learn anything you want, when you want, how you want. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to do this. That's a fact. And I'm sorry I just can't believe you that they weighed the balance of the two and chose the best one. The marketing dept. and the stockholders reviewed the idea of putting in a bigger better battery pack that the talented engineers recommended but shot it down because of some stupid trivial little cosmetic ality. Innovation is rare in big companies, it's really a miracle one produced a gem such as the prius. Somebody over at toyota must have his or her head screwed on right. Like I originally said, the average energy illiterate person will never accept a replacement to gasoline unless it comes from a magic alternate dimension or gas prices go up substantially. For now I am still waiting for a call back from the valence sales dept. From what the sales gal told me the prices range from 200-2000. Like any big corporation there of course will be apathy toward me because I am not a millionaire, but I do know some and hope to meet more who like this idea.

18. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah, I know Valence in Austin. I know of the CalCar plug-in Prius using their cells. I also know that this is a test bed vehicle ... not a production car. You can't buy it, and there's no conversion kit for sale. It's not even a prototype vehicle. They're trying to showcase their battery chemistry, and they're doing a good job. It's just "not ready for prime time" yet.

As I said, today's production cars use NiMH because it's the best solution right now. I expect we'll see a Li-Ion hybrid in production in the next 12-18 months ... maybe sooner.

19. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The kit is for sale actually. Not through Calcars, and apparently not advertised, either. But I'm personally aware of a utility that has purchased a few of them.

20. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Edrive Systems