1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buyers are opting for fuel efficiency

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by JackDodge, May 24, 2006.

1. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006605240455

Typical, predictable and laughable responses by Ford and GM over the simple fact that consumers are moving towards fuel efficency; something that both companies are lacking in sorely.

2. jmpenn

jmpenn New Member

Unfortunately it's the only way they're going to stay in business in the short term. Detroit is hemorraging money and the high profit margins on the bigger vehicles are the only way they won't go bankrupt. The GM gas garbage is going to cost them less than rebates would unless gas really spikes ($5+) in the next 12 months.

3. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    "We feel that we don't really get the recognition that we deserve with the fuel economy of our vehicles," GM spokeswoman Deborah Silverman said. "So we're taking fuel prices off the table."

So, in essence, this is acknowledging defeat. We can't build a decent efficient car that can compete in today's fuel-strapped world, so...here's some gas for you...come buy from us, we give up!! We are going to ignore EVERYTHING happening in the world of gas consumption and costs...here's some gas for the Hummer run to the mini-mart.

I'm throwing up already. I just can't believe GM can be so short-sighted.

Wow, just when it couldn't get anymore pathetic...

4. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you guys notice the chart on the right hand side of the page? What's interesting to me is that they list the Prius both under "Small Cars" and under "Family Sedan." Maybe the press is finally starting to realize that the Prius is not a tiny econobox.

5. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ May 24 2006, 11:00 AM) [snapback]260311[/snapback]</div>
    :) yeah, but did you notice they just listed that CR crap about the Prius only gets 44 mpg? Currently, I'm getting only 55 :lol:

6. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Gee, if their fuel economy were as good as they'd like to believe, they wouldn't have to take anything "off the table."

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ May 24 2006, 08:22 AM) [snapback]260322[/snapback]</div>
    Although some people on here think the 44 mpg rating is crap, my lifetime mpg so far is 45.6 mpg (or 46.39 mpg if I average the readings from the MFD).

It's better mileage than any car I've ever owned and ~2x what I get on my Z... but I'm still working on finding out if there's much I can do to improve it given my route to/from work being mostly highway by distance. See http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&showtopi...ndpost&p=259616 for my post in trying to figure out how some folks are getting 50+ consistently.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wrprice @ May 25 2006, 12:40 AM) [snapback]260778[/snapback]</div>
    Is that why there are so many Prius commercials on tv and radio these days? :huh:

I think it's kinda neat in a way that Toyota doesn't even have to advertise the Prius.How many years will it be that the vehicle will sell at MSRP with no haggling with a waiting list?

9. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think they DO get the recognition they deserve with the fuel economy of their vehicles. They are all known as gas guzzlers behemoths... and for good reason.

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 25 2006, 07:04 AM) [snapback]260864[/snapback]</div>
    Contrary to what you and others have stated, Toyota DOES advertise the Prius and HSD.

See my post at http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=1...38&#entry173338. However, the ads on Yahoo maps for the Prius that I mentioned are gone now.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A