1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buyers embrace the Toyota Prius (News)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Danny, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Buyers embrace the Toyota Prius
    By RICHARD WILLIAMSON
    Scripps Howard News Service
    December 18, 2003

Link to Article
    - In a world that sometimes seems to be turning backward, it was refreshingly futuristic when Motor Trend magazine took the surprising step of conferring its Car of the Year title on a hybrid model that can travel up to 60 miles on a gallon of gas.

What is even more refreshing is the fact that the American buyers have embraced the 2004 Toyota Prius with similar enthusiasm.

Sales of the Prius have been so brisk that Toyota recently announced a 31 percent increase in production of the second-generation gas-electric hybrid sedan. From an original goal of selling 36,000 units in 2004, Toyota boosted the number to 47,000 after taking 12,000 pre-production orders and notching 10,000 sales in Prius' first six weeks on the market.

"With record-shattering sales in both October and November, and no sign of demand letting up, it became clear we had underestimated our early sales projections," said Don Esmond, general manager of Toyota Motor Sales. "If 47,000 units is still too low, another request for additional production from our Tsutsumi Plant in Toyota City, Japan, may be necessary."

Prius, whose Latin name means "to go before," was the world's first mass-produced gas-electric hybrid vehicle when introduced in Japan in 1997. It arrived in the U.S. in 2000. It has since become the best-selling hybrid vehicle in the world, competing with a hybrid of Honda's Civic and Insight.

Growing from a compact to mid-size car in 2004, Prius is the first hybrid of its size on the market.

That distinction will soon fall, as Toyota prepares to introduce the Highlander hybrid midsize sport utility vehicle at the 2004 North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

The Highlander gas-electric hybrid will launch in late 2004.

Like the Prius, the Highlander will use Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive, gas-electric hybrid powertrain technology. The new system produces more power from both the gasoline engine and the electric motor, giving the Prius acceleration comparable to the Camry midsize sedan.

As an excellent commuter car, the Prius actually gets better mileage in the city than on the highway because of the system that recharges the battery every time you brake. Obviously, there's no need to plug in the battery for recharging because the gasoline engine handles that chore when it's in use. It carries an estimated EPA rating of 60 MPG in city driving and 51 MPG on the highway, with a combined EPA mileage estimate of 55 MPG compared to 48 MPG for the previous-generation Prius.

In addition to its best-in-class fuel economy, the new Prius emits 30 percent fewer emissions than the previous model. That equates to producing nearly 90 percent fewer smog-forming emissions than a conventional internal combustion engine vehicle. Prius has been certified as a Super Ultra-Low Emission Vehicle (SULEV) and an Advanced Technology Partial Zero Emission Vehicle (AT-PZEV) category in California and those states adopting California standards.

One of the reasons sales are so brisk is the fact that Prius is affordably priced at $19,995.

Like Toyota, Motor Trend went out on a limb in naming the Prius Car of the Year.

"We realize the selection of a hybrid vehicle is going to stir controversy, but we believe the performance, engineering advancements, and overall significance of the Toyota Prius merit the distinction of Motor Trend's Car of the Year," said Kevin Smith, editor-in-chief. "The Prius is a capable, comfortable, fun-to-drive car that just happens to get spectacular fuel economy. It also provides a promising look at a future where extreme fuel-efficiency, ultra-low emissions, and exceptional performance will happily coexist. That makes it meaningful to a wide range of car buyers."

The fact that the Prius and the hybrid Civic have proven themselves economically viable means that the market for fuel-efficient cars can expand. In effect, it has become cool to extend your mileage without having to accept a dinky econobox. Once you reach that status, competition can begin in earnest.

More importantly, the combination of a gasoline engine matched with an electric motor is just one step away from cars powered by fuel cells. Fuel cells produce no emissions other than water and rely on the most abundant energy source in the universe - hydrogen.

2. christiane

christiane New Member

I went car shopping yesterday and came across the Prius - I was so
    impressed I would have bought one but found out the waiting time.
    Would like to know if anyone has had problems with the Prius as I
    am willing to wait if I find out that it is as good as it appears. Thanks

3. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Every bit as good....and then some. I have over 3000 mi. on mine so far and can't enjoy driving my wife's Corolla anymore - there is just no comparison. I've had no problems, not even a squeak or rattle yet, and the peaceful driving experience is a pure joy. I did not have to wait for mine but it would definitely be worth the wait, it's that good.

4. Yes, I'm waiting on mine (still must wait 2 or 3 more months)...and after having done tons of research. You might want to check an item that shows up on ebay occassioanlly. It's a 2004 Dealer Kit. I've obtained one and it really gives you a run down on the product. Best wishes!

5. tag

tag Senior Member

There's one up for bid now......I mean right now as the auction expires in a few hours. I think I'm going to place a bid since the "kit" is only around 26 bucks and appears to contain a ton of information.

I wonder how this person comes by the "kit". Is he or she associated with Toyota or a dealer?

6. tag

tag Senior Member

I'm the high bidder at $26.75. We'll see.....

yes, I\'m fully aware that I\'m talking to myself

7. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd love to hear what's in the kit if you get it.
    See, you weren't talking to yourself.

8. tag

tag Senior Member

Dave wrote: I'd love to hear what's in the kit if you get it.

No problem.....I'll provide a full report if and when I receive it. But, in the meantime, I wonder if M_A_M could provide some additional details. I'm also wondering how much I should be paying for the kit.

See, you weren't talking to yourself.

Thank God! I was starting to worry......:lol:

9. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You better have a scanner and a digital camera, tag!

10. tag

tag Senior Member

Ah ha! Yes and Yes!

Both, however, I will have to borrow from my wife!

11. tag

tag Senior Member

Outbid by a buck! Sheesh! No action for hours, I go out for the last 20 minutes and this.....

Oh well, there are a couple of more up for bid now.

12. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tag, ya gotta learn how to snipe an auction on Ebay. That's the only way these days to get what you want. I've gotten pretty good at it. Imagine waiting untill the last 24 seconds of an auction to place your maximum proxy bid on a dialup modem. :D I did that at my folks place last winter on my departed and missed Daewoo Lanos. Yes, I won the car.

13. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    But it was Daewoo, was anyone really bidding against you? :lol:

14. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Uhh, yeah. The story behind that car is a fun one. I had acutally bid on that car before and LOST!!

It then came back a couple of weeks later as the first winner was a deadbeat. I had put a bid on the car again a few hours before the auction was to end only to be outbid within an hour of the auction ending. That was when I waited untill 24 seconds from the auction end before slamming it with a high max. In the end, I bought a 2000 Daewoo Lanos SX (top of the line for that model) for $4350.89. It was shipped with every option available for that car except a sunroof, and only had 3152 documentable miles on its odometer. I had only two minor issues with the car during its tenure with me. First, the battery cable ends were built cheaply, and were deforming under the pressure of the bolts. Fix was to buy some marine cable ends and use them as Daewoo put bolt on ends to their battery cables. I spent $5 for that fix I chose to do that one out of pocket as I didn't want the same chessey ends as replacements. The other was a warranty item for a defective park/neutral starter cutoff switch in the shifter linkage. After that fix, the car never saw the light of the service bay up to the day that I traded it as one of the three for the Prius. I acutally miss that car the most of the three.

15. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just to clarify, I was being sarcastic. Just wanted to be sure you knew I wasn't slamming your car choices....

...if I were to do that, I'd pick on the '59 Benz :)

16. tag

tag Senior Member

Wolfman, I know! It's just that I'm out of town with the family this week (in FL) and we're typically all over the place. It's tough to keep track of stuff like the time auctions expire. :cry: I'm lucky I'm even able to get on the net as I'm using my son's notebook and this lousy 28kbps dialup.

17. tag

tag Senior Member

Hey, I'd also like to get some thoughts about what this dealer training kit might be worth (M_A_M??)......????

The one last night went off at around $28 but then there's a matter of $9 for shipping. So, the winner paid a total of $37. Whether that's too much or a bargain clearly depends on the quality (and quantity) of the materials.

18. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Might want to try contacting Dianne over at Carson - she joined Priuschat last week. PM or email her. I think she put one up on eBay for the proceeds to go to charity, so she might have a better idea of what their value is.

19. tag

tag Senior Member

Thanks....will do. I noticed the service manual was going for around $20 so I think I'll use that as a rough guide.

I strongly suspect paying close to 40 bucks is kind of a lot for this material unless one is collecting Prius memorabilia.

20. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hehe, I figured that you were kidding. I still like to tell that story though. It was the sweet car purchase that I'll never get another such opportunity again.

You can make fun of the 59 Benz all you want. :wink: That car is rarer than hen's teeth. Before I took it out of service to start its total restoration, I used to draw crowds with that car. I'm not sure if you're up on your Mercedes nomenclature or not, but that car is a diesel powered car. No modern car can possibly hold a candle to the driving experince of that old beast!

You should have seen the inspector with that car. He did immediately recognize the column shift manual tranny. Out of sheer habit, he turned the key all the way over to what he assumed would have been the start position in any other car. Not this one. It has a lever that you pull partway out and hold in place while staring at a little silver "salt shaker" looking metal piece on the dashboard. Inside it, there is a coil that you wait for it to start to glow bright orange. This is an indicator for the glow plug circuit that it's heating up. You then count out to yourself a specific number of seconds according to how warm the engine is, and the pull the knob out all the way. This engages the starter. Once started, the knob is released. The inspector then wanted to push the knob back in after the car was started. I had to tell him not to. He then, before I had the chance to tell him the gear pattern, put the car in what he thought was first gear. He immediately stalled the car. At that point, he finally let me tell him that it was in fact a FOUR speed manual on the column, and not three. He learns the shift pattern, starts the car (needed reminding again to push the knob in), and finally gets it moving. He goes through the quick driving process, and pulls into the bay for the rest of the test. By this time, he simply told me to shut the car off, which is where he learns that pushing the start knob back in kills the car. I never had a harder time keeping from laughing as much as I did with that inspection.