1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buyer's market...

Discussion in 'Prius Cars For Sale' started by Jim Shannon, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Jim Shannon

Jim Shannon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    So, I thought this worth sharing as an example. I had mentioned in a previous post that I was working on and had eventually traded in my wife's 2015 Prius Persona to pick up a new 2014 Cadillac ELR. Well, that was August and now it's October and her car is still at the dealership. They are now advertising it for less than I got for trade. In addition, they've replaced the front windshield (I had posted that it was cracked when I was attempting to sell it here) and pin striped the body as well. Needless to say, they're taking a loss on it. If anyone out there is interested, I'm not plugging for the dealership at all, but if you have questions about the car at all, I'm more than happy to answer them.

2015 Toyota Prius for sale in Janesville - JTDKN3DU5F0398503 - Fagan Automotive

2. apt5020

apt5020 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Five
    That a 2015 Prius Persona? The advertisement say a Prius 2015 Two? For a Two for $22,499 not including tax and license is real expense. I think the new one is cheaper

348 likes this.
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It has the Persona Badge.

Yeah, the dealership might garner a bit more interest if they advertised it as what it is, which is a Persona Edition.
    That "used" price for the headline of being just a standard Prius 2 isn't going to catch very many fish.

But it's their responsibility to know what they have...
    and if I trade in a vehicle, that's when my worries about it's future end.

Redpoint5 and PLSPUSH like this.
  4. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    They are not selling at the moment. Toyota is giving 0% for 5 years -- same as January 2012 when I last bought. I could have purchased a new Prius v for 2.5k less then I paid 3+ years ago in 11.

I bought a CT for a bit more than Toyota wanted for the hybrid

5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Typical of many used car dealers. They haven't a clue, and hardly ever list a vehicle correctly.

Even new car sales people will tell you "The Prius Driver's know more about these cars than we do".

And yes, it is definitely a Persona. I saw the badge too...

6. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A lot of places are doing 0%...and have been for a very long time.

People really can't afford to buy the number of units they want to move, so next to no APR or no APR is the only way to encourage people to finance a big ticket item.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they make enough on the new vehicle to cover anything they give you on the trade and more.

FuelMiser and PriusGuy32 like this.
  8. Jim Shannon

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    It is a Persona. And they made nothing on the ELR after my wife's GM supplier pricing. :)

9. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When negotiated properly, dealers make very little on new car purchases. It's the same as Best Buy not making much on TV sales, but they are happy to sell you an HDMI cable for $50 and talk your ear off about Black Tie protection.

10. Jim Shannon

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    And with gas at $1.89 a gallon here, they've dropped the price again on it, $19,900. That's almost $3,000 less than they gave me on trade four months ago.

11. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The sales at dealers do not equate to a one car pony show. Even if they gave you more money than the car in question they make money on other add-ons as financing fees, accersories, dealer fees, extended warranty, bank commissions and gap insurance. They might even do VIN etching for additional fees. Even if they lose money on this car its the grand total profit per month is the real number they look at. Depending on trade in and sales they may lose on some and make money on others. Its a question of the plus numbers that keep them in business. One sale does not break a dealer you have to look at the whole month sale to project if the business is making money or not.

FuelMiser likes this.
  12. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Those rims tho......

13. Jim Shannon

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    .....and the replaced cracked front windshield and the pin stripping (I vomited in my mouth); those weren't free for them. What the hell, my son turns 16 in six months, I've promised him a car if he maintains his 4.0 I'll offer them $18,500 and take it back. ;-)

m.wynn likes this.
  14. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    NOW THATS some shrewd reasoning!! +++++

15. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The wholesale value must be less .... Toyota is being very aggressive with discounts on the new ones. Although, I was surprised how few Prius level fives were around when I was looking a couple of months ago. One local Lexus dealer had 6 CT's that all sold while I was looking --- bought from another that had a couple. Great lease values on the CT -- cheaper to lease and then purchase.