1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying '00 Prius, battery concerns

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by endac, Oct 5, 2009.

1. endac

endac New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi folks!

Apologies if this is the wrong thread - I swear I looked! :)

I had my first trip in a Prius last night (taxi home) and I was blown away, I'd always loved them but seeing the hybrid system come together like that - I knew it was the car for me.

Just my luck that I found a 2000 Prius in my area today!

I'm a little worried about the car though!
    It's done 125,000 miles!
    He claims 54MPG and pays 10€ of petrol a week (which is about accurate for Ireland, I get similar in my Mom's fiat 500 right now) - but how long will that last for?

Can the battery take me adding a few thousand more miles in the coming years? I'm only 18, I can't really afford to be paying for a new battery.
    What's the lifespan of a car like this?
    Is there anything else I should look out for if I go to test-drive it?

Thanks guys!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If this car is model year 2000 and a Japan domestic model, then I'd recommend you let it go. The traction battery for the original Prius sold only in Japan is unreliable and quite costly to replace.

The traction battery for model years 2001-2003 exported to NA and Europe is better but is still known to fail esp in the odometer range that you've cited. If you can't handle a large repair bill associated with a traction battery or transaxle failure, then I think you should pass on the purchase of an older Prius.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The only thing I would add is to go to the Wiki page and read up on the different models. If you can get the VIN number, the model is part of that number:

• NHW10 - don't unless you have a lot of time and money to spend on the car. All of the displays are in Japanese ... as are the repair manuals. So first you learn Japanese and then ...
    • NHW11 - better since there are English language manuals however it is getting 'long in the tooth.' As a project car or one you are prepared to spend time and money on, OK, but parts are not that easily found, even in salvage yards.
    • NHW20 - nice car, runs fine, has a few quarks in the first couple of years, probably not readily available.
    • ZVW30 - a spaceship ... will blow you away. Get one and a taxi license and you'll be very happy ... or even go into a delivery service.
    GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

ps. It takes a rich man to keep old cars.

4. matthis

matthis New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. matthis

matthis New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had one for a couple for years, for me it gets between 20 and 30kms per litre depending on the journey. 4 of us took a trip to the UK before and i remember filling the tank before the ferry crossing and getting to wherever it was in the midlands and back to the ferry on that one tank plus £5.
    In relation to the battery life, mine being a '99 it deteriorated significantly a year ago so i purchased a reconditioned battery from The Battery Clinic

If you're nearby you're welcome to take a look anytime