1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying 2010 - possible transmission fluid leak

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Eggsalad, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Eggsalad

Eggsalad New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi-

Hope someone might have some advice.

I'm in the process of buying a 2010 Prius III with 59k miles from a private party -- haven't closed deal yet. I took it to a good mechanic to check out; he's not a Prius expert, but he knows his way around and refers people elsewhere when needed. He found a seal on/from the "bell housing" with a very slow leak of probably transmission fluid. He said he couldn't tell how serious -- could go on for years without any problem, could be warning of major trouble sooner. He said a dealer or transmission place should check. The seller is taking the car to a dealer to look at it. I believe it's still, barely, under the drive train warranty (5 years/60k miles).

My questions are:

* Should I pass on the car even if they fix it? Is this the kind of thing that can resurface 5k miles from now out of warranty, etc. I realize it depends on what the dealer finds, but I wonder if people have general advice.

* Does anyone have experience with this kind of trouble/symptom?

It's a good deal on the car, and I'm trying to check my urge to just plow ahead.

Thanks a lot!!!!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Seal leaks are not uncommon. If it's caught early and fixed, there shouldn't be any issues later.

3. Eggsalad

Eggsalad New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The only seals there I think are at the area where the left and right cvt joint's enter the differential. I have not seen any reports of leaks at those seals except where the cvt inner joints were replaced and the seal was replaced poorly. Bad installation. Which makes me think that possibly one of the inner cvt joints were replaced. At that low mileage that means some sort of road trauma.

Make sure you pull a carfax and see if was in a collision and incurred suspension damage. If not and you still want the car this leak must be fixed as there is no way to check the level of the trans fluid without putting the car on a lift and having the fill bolt hole removed and te height of the fluid checked.

Its about $250 to have both seals replaced but if only one side is leaking probably $150. Dealer double that.

5. Eggsalad

Eggsalad New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks!

New info: I asked the seller to take it to dealer since it's still under power train warranty. Dealer said "leak" was actually excess oil from when they serviced transmission. But, dealer found second leak from one axil seal, which they fixed (possibly this is what original mechanic saw). Checked Carfax -- clean. And best of all, seller realized car has extended warranty to 75k. So I think I'm going for it.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One thing the 2010 models have is a problem with the hybrid systems display being fuzzy from moisture. This was fixed on later years. If your 2010 has a fuzzy display, have that addressed before the extended warranty ends.

8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ plus have all recalls and TSBs applied.
    ^ plus have t

9. Eggsalad

Eggsalad New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you. Will do.

spiderman, looks like your last bit of advice was cut off -- "plus have t". Just wondering what you were going to say...