1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying a 06 with 144 k miles

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by joeman, Feb 18, 2014.

1. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It has a recent new battery pac, and the people I may buy it from has kept it maintained.
    Should I be worried that I'm going to have to turn into a heavy duty research guy to own a car like this ?
    I'm not afraid to learn some of the basics, I have a background in keeping up with planned services, and taking it to a mechanic when needed.
    I guess after reading some of the post of people trouble shooting older Prius on here, make me wonder what I might be getting into.
    I'm hopping that some of the moderate to extreme problems with the cars on here are from lack of maintenance.
    Anyway plan to test drive Prius in 4 days.
    Any suggestions would be great.

Joe

2. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    On my 06' I've replaced both front wheel bearings the steering wrack and tires, (shocks, front brakes, rear exhaust pipes, 12v battery x2,) assuming the traction battery was replaced because of a warm climate 24/7, definitely do a carfax and run the vin tru toyotas website and take it to a dealer for an OBD2 reading, or at least an advanced auto parts.

3. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a local Prius mechanic that will look at it,thanks for the advice .
    You sound like certain parts to be replaced like most cars, but you seem to see the glass half full, as far as owning a Prius for the long haul. The real expensive battery PAC was replaced, not for sure what that is called?

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would hope the replacement is from Toyota and not an unknown source

SM-N900P ?

5. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, from Toyota.
    The guy that is selling it is a Scientist , I have the feeling he took care of it by the book.
    So if it checks out, would you think I could have a good car to drive for another 144k, with not to serious problems. I know Prius are known to last a long time, hopefully if I buy it and maintain it ,I can stay ahead of the curve. The asking price is 6800.00

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Engine shouldn't be an issue other than a little oil burning. Just have to watch it in the beginning to see how often you need to top off. Change the transaxle fluid every 60k miles.

Overall this seems like a pretty decent deal.

SM-N900P ?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's called the hybrid battery. 300,000 isn't unreasonable, but the big thing is the tranny fluid. how often did he change it? this is an expensive component, but if it craps out, you can always pick up a used one for your mechanic to install. and the other thing is the inverter. other than that it's just a regular car. you'll wind up replacing just about everything eventually. all the best!(y)

8. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Rep
    Also all tires replaced with Michelin tires less than a year ago .
    If I buy car, will report on work that has been done, he has all records.
    Private buy, not a Dealer.

9. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Why are you waiting four days to test drive it. The reason I ask is that I've seen several people on here drag their feet and miss out on a good deal. My experience with these cars is they don't last long. If there is a good deal on a Prius out there, it goes quick. I'm not saying this to scare you, I just don't want to see you lose out.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  10. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You have a good point, the seller suggested to wait to Sat because of his work schedule.
    We have a verbal agreement that he will give me first chance. He also knows I'm pre approved at the bank and I have inquired about a Prius Mech looking it over where he lives 30 min away.
    Yep, I am with you, can't wait to see it. They are dragging their feet, hahaha.
    Thanks for the support, will give feedback after Sat morning.

usnavystgc likes this.
  11. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

What I like about this is, the guy is willing to wait to sell the car - hes not desperate to dump it (Im thinking IF the car had big problems). To me, thats a good sign. Whenever Ive been presented with something that had hidden problems, the seller was always anxious and excited and wanted to sell it "that minute" and unload it.

And $6800 seems like a pretty good price IMO. In my area, there is a 2005 Prius going for $7000 with 141,000 miles. And it wasnt owned by a scientist :D

12. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Amen to that, I think it's a good sign also.
    When I first noticed the ad about a week ago, at that point the car had been on a local listing for two weeks or more, I think that some people see the mileage and run .
    It's been garaged and I can't wait to see it.

13. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  14. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, I will post info about car after I see it Sat morning.
    Maybe I will learn how to upload some photos.

Tomorrow I will test drive and look the 06 with 144k.
    What should I look for, not knowing the Prius car too well, actually I owned a 2002 Prius briefly 4 years ago. Say like braking or transmission , would there be something to look for it there is a problem. I think it might be a great car for the mileage.
    If I do agree to buy car, I will have a Prius mechanic look it over before sealing the deal.
    Any help would be great.

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

1. carfax
    2. make sure all the Vin# match on the body parts (doors, hood, hatch, fenders)
    3. make sure no warning lights are on
    4. check all the headlights and brake lights are functional
    5. make sure there are 2 key fobs
    6. test the air conditioning/radio/MFD functions
    7. under the hood, check if there are any leaks and make sure all fluids are full. low fluid would indicate a leak. brake fluid should be clear and coolant is pink
    8. known problem with this car is a leaking ICE water pump, it's on the passenger side, driven by a belt. If it's leaking, there will be a pink/white residue around that area of the pulley.
    9. Test drive and make sure everything functions as it should, the car tracks straight, no strange noises
    10. Pull engine dipstick to check oil level, make sure it's full or not seriously low.
    11. Take it to a mechanic to have a final inspection.

16. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Scientist is irrelevant. He could be a biologist and know nothing about mechanics.
    The one I would check is to see the receipt of the replacement of the HV battery.

17. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    JC, thanks for the tips, I will be sure to use your suggestions.
    Bedrock, I will be looking for HV battery receipt, thanks.
    He actually is a Biologist, hehehe
    But I'm thinking he and his wife took the ownership and maintenance of this Prius very seriously.
    Hey, they bought a new one.
    Fill everybody in tomorrow in the PM.

18. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok, checked out and drove the 06 with 144k. I would say the overall body of the car is in fair to good shape. Front bumper corner has a six inch gash, one door is scuffed, showing primer maybe.
    The interior is presentable , few cosmetic issues .
    Engine oil looks great, maybe just changed, very clear, he has been using synthetic engine oil since 50k. Here is the biggie, to his knowledge , the tranny fluid has never been changed.
    The car ran and drove great, air was cold.
    I did see the receipt for the Hybrid Battery, it was a dealer item.
    So bedrock, you were right, this guy took care of some general maintenance , but didn't do things like change trans oil.
    My approach to this car is , I want to buy it because it runs good, has a new Hybrid battery,
    And I'm not overly concerned about the body and paint issues at this point .
    He did keep the engine oil changed.
    Plus new Tires.
    I will have garage check it out next week before buying, to see what color trans fluid might be.
    I'm thinking dark brown maybe.
    Anybody have any thoughts ?

19. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This car sounds like it's in pretty decent shape. The transaxle fluid just needs to be changed, don't think the fluid is bad as Toyota insist this is a lifetime fluid. Car being on synthetic oil and new hybrid battery makes this a worth while purchase.

The color of the transfluid should be a dark maroon at your current mileage, but shouldn't be an issue if it's running fine.

SM-N900P ?

joeman likes this.
  20. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the feedback on the car JC, that is good to know.
    That's the way I feel about it too .
    Did you ever read about the guy in Fla that put 465 k on his 09 Prius?
    He changed his transaxle fluid at 125-235-355 k
    It came up online in a search
    I think it was posted last summer on bobistheoilguy.com