1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying a 2010 w/ only one FOB

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by jbarch, Nov 1, 2011.

1. jbarch

jbarch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm pretty close to buying a 2010 Prius 2. It was previously a rental, and I'm fine with that since the price is right, but it only comes with one key FOB!! Apparently this is true for all cars sold by this rental company.

I'm hoping to negotiate the price due to this flaw... Any suggestions on how much this detracts from the value of a 2010 model? I've checked these forums and still can't figure out if it is possible to reprogram FOBs for a 3rd gen Prius, so I'm assuming I'll have to get this done professionally.

thanks!
    JB

2. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Until recently people were saying that the only way is to get a new FOB from a Toyota dealer. Lately a few people said that it is possible to reprogram a used FOB. But for your purposes I would insist on at least a $500 discount since it's a little over $300 to get a FOB froma toyota dealer and have them program it. Plus your trouble heck maybe you should ask for a grand off, can't hurt to ask.

1 person likes this.
  3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The car is programmed, not the fob.

4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I meant that LOL:eek:

5. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If it were me I'd get a written estimate from the local dealer for the key and the programming and then ask for that. Keep in mind that low mileage used cars in general are at a premium these days and based on comments here the Prius is even harder to find used with low miles at a reasonable price - so if you overreach they might just shut down completely knowing that the car will sell fairly quickly. The cost for these key fobs is crazy - if you go in with an estimate at least you have something concrete to base it on.

6. wheelsup

wheelsup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When I bought my used 2010 (previous rental) there was no room for negotiation. The price was what it was. If it didn't sell they lowered it a few weeks later. In my case there were around 6 on the lot, 2 sold immediately then they lowered the price. That is when I picked my 2010 up. 3 more left and they were in not so great condition - mine looked brand new and even smelled new compared to the other 3 on the lot. They eventually sold for around $500-$1000 less but I was much happier paying more for mine.

Enterprise did send the second key fob to us, however it does not work. The spare key in it does unlock the car but for some reason the key fob doesn't activate the car. Not sure why, really annoying. We probably won't replace it unless necessary due to cost.

The Prius keeps the lions share of its value until it starts to get close to 75k-100k miles. When the battery warranty drops off the value on the car plummets. If you want a deal buy one with a lot of miles. Otherwise you are going to be paying close to retail new for a used one, or used to. There may be more supply nowadays, I don't know. Around here there are dealers asking $21k+ for their 2010's w/ 40k on them.

7. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you tried putting a new battery in the 2nd fob? It can't hurt and might work.

8. kbeck

kbeck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here's the deal. You can buy a Prius 2010+ FOB on Ebay, but YMMV on whether it'll work or not.

There's two parts to getting it to work:
    1) Getting the Prius electronically programmed to recognize the FOB. This includes accessing the FOB, too.
    2) Getting the mechanical, so-called "laser cut" key cut.

My son managed to lose one of the two fobs for my car. Eventually, we bought a spanking new fob from the dealer for $200. Now, the nasty bit is the dealer wanted ~$150 to program it and another $100 or so to cut the key. Others have reported similar or larger numbers. All the dealers I contacted around here wanted a fairly exorbitant amount of money to send the mechanical key out to some place on the West Coast to do the key cutting.

So, I'm here in New Jersey. Grabbed the yellow pages and started calling locksmiths. Found one in North Brunswick who said he could do it. Took the car down there with the fobs. He pulled out his PC, plugged it into the car and did his bit: The fob worked. As far as the "laser cut" thing: Took the mechanical key out of my fob, took the uncut one from the new one, went over to his bench, and in short order had the new key cut and working.

Total cost: I think about $100.

So: There are reports that there's a locksmith out on Long Island, NY, who claims to be able to take a used FOB and make it work.

Further: The software that these locksmiths use gets, apparently, updated from time to time and at least some of the locksmiths have the right software.

Finally: They may be able to Do Something to the Ebay/whatever fob. Ask questions, that's what I did.

Good luck!

Kbeck.

9. wheelsup

wheelsup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No but only because the light still comes on when pushed, so I don't believe it is a battery issue. But I had plans on swapping the current fob battery to the other fob just for grins eventually.

10. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Simplest solution: go to the Toyota dealership and ask them to check it out. If necessary, they can program your Prius to accept it (assuming that the seller sent you the wrong fob).

That's a better solution than asking people to solve your problem from 1000 miles away.

11. wheelsup

wheelsup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well I wasn't looking for the problem to be solved (maybe you have me confused with another poster?). From what I've read online once the key has been programed once it's done, kaput. Can't be reprogrammed to another car. And Toyota will still charge if it doesn't work, so you're basically rolling the dice.

An ebay key might not be a bad idea but if it doesn't work you're out the $$ to Toyota, but at least ebay will most likely get you your money back for the key itself if it was sold as brand new.

12. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I do not think that is correct. The key does not get programmed; the car's computer gets programmed.
    That is why I suggested that you consult the Toyota dealer.

13. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    double tap