1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying a car (BMW) in Europe

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by kgall, Dec 23, 2011.

1. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some of you may consider this treasonous but:

We are going to Europe for a few months (OK, that's not treasonous).
    My wife remembers that some time ago, Mercedes Benz used to advertise that you could buy one of their cars in Europe, drive it, had it sent back to the US and still save a bundle.

She's thinking that BMW might still do this, and she would consider buying her next car that way.

Any idea if this idea still works or if BMW might do it?

Anyone ever done this sort of thing? Like the result?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    haven't heard that in 35 years, they used to say it would pay for your vacation.:rolleyes:

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You would have to buy a US-spec model. To comply with US standards many things have to change (headlights, bumpers, sidemarkers, suspension on some models, and more). So make sure you know exactly what you are buying and how you are planning on importing it. Also how much it will take to import. If you cannot make your vehicle comply within 2 inspections and 60 days, it will be impounded and destroyed at the port of entry. You will not get any money back or compensation. You may actually be charged for the destruction of the vehicle.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Yep. That's why you should go thru European Delivery at BMW North America. You should obviously check w/BMW about what to do if you plan to drive that car for >2 weeks in Europe.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes but you need to talk with your BMW dealership to iron out the details. You can't just walk up, buy the car and tell them that you want to pick it up at the factory.

7. AK_james

AK_james Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Many European makes have these types of programs, but don't forget to check on the tax consequences with your local DMV. Have a great trip!

8. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When I was a kid this is how my folks used to buy their Volvos. From what I remember the savings back then were substantial but that changed - they bought their final Volvo here in the US (an 850 back in the early 90's). The tech has likely changed a fair bit, but back then the car came with an Eurpoean emissions system and the US one was strapped down in the back - it was a new muffler and a few other bits that would be installed before it was picked up in the US.

As for tax consequences with the DMV- it should be fairly easy - like buying a car out of state (which I have done twice) - you just pay the tax to the DMV when you register the car in your home state. It is fairly easy, just be sure to be careful and keep all of the paperwork - you never know when you might need it.

9. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to all.

We're now thinking a bit more about an Audi A3 TDI (turbo diesel). Anyone have comments on that?

I remember hearing in the old days that turbochargers had problems after 50K miles or so. Still true? Or are they now more reliable, like the rest of the car?

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have no interest in European cars, but if I did I would consider it wise to buy a car made in Europe rather than Mexico.