1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying a Demo Model...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by senectus, Feb 20, 2005.

1. senectus

senectus New Member

I took a Prius for a test drive a few days ago.. and I'm very impressed.
    The place I went to has a demo model for sale (the car we drove).
    Its done 10,000 km's already and has burnt up a year of its warranty oh and its silver with grey interior 2004 model.
    They're charging $36,490 (plus transfer fee of about $2200), which personally I think is a bit steep because they sell for $36,500 brand new (plus on road costs of about $4000).
    What do you guys think?
    Could they do better? Or should I go for NEW new..?

Also I noticed that the pop down clear dash bit in the middle just below the CD payer has a big scratch in it.. would it be hard/expensive to replace that?

2. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If a new one were available, I doubt they'd be as high as they are. That must be where they think they 'have' you.

And the light in my US version must be bad, because my cubby-door looks smoked to me...

3. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Four thoughts: 1. Not sure what the Australian dollar is worth against the US dollar, so it's hard to determine how outrageous the asking price is.
    2. Sounds like you aren't thrilled about this particular car, but want a Prius. I was in the same position and was offered the same color/low end option package demo and I did not like the silver color.....almost accepted it, but decided to wait. Next day, I found the exact car I wanted with no markup. I's say wait.
    3. What worked here in Washington State might work for Austraila....go rural. Dealers in small towns often get Prii and don't have the demand for them I got my car from a dealer in an agricultural community where most of the buyers want trucks, not Prii. They get four or five a month and you can get them at retail. I would guess a similar situation exists where you are.
    And, finally, 4. This is a huge expense and a major purchase. Try to imagine how you will feel a year from now driving this particular car; would you regret not having waited out for a better deal/color/option package? Try to sift through the adreneline rush enthusiasm to the reality.
    Me? I'd wait.
    Keep us posted.
    Bob
    Seattle

4. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

1. Tell them "that is a lot of money"

followed by:

2. You will have to do better than that!

(the proper response to which is "how much better"?)

3. Any response other than the proper response, repeat number 2. When they finally get around to how much better, you say 29,100. They should counter offer then. No matter what they come up with then use:

4. I would have to get that approved by: (fill in blank with authority figure, could be attorney, accountant, banker, personal friend, uncle fred, spouse, etc.) The proper response is: here is a phone, we will call them now) and you say: well, its actually a committee that insures that I make sound decisions, I do not move on anything without the committee's approval...

5. You call them back with the committee's decision which is: a little less than the counter offer or a great deal less. Because I am of the opinion that you should NOT pay more than 85% of new car price for this vehicle.

6. Make the counter counter offer and if they don't take it, walk.

5. senectus

senectus New Member

wow.. great responses...

I think your mostly right..

only a couple of things you might not be aware off:

There is a three month wait for ANY Prius, unfortunately in Australia there is more demand than there is supply and the dealerships can't get the cars fast enough :(

The dealership made it very clear to me, _they do not do deals or drop the price on any prius_ ever. The reason being that every dealership in Australia has the same problem.. more demand than supply.

Also I am only after the base model (with exception of colour), as long as its not black white or green we'll be happy with the car,

I will reign back my enthusiasm though, as rushing into a 30k loan isn't a good way to do things.

thanks for the advice :) Will update as I go.

6. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

I do not accept the "we do not do deals business".

Call around, I got mine ordered the way I wanted from a dealer 610 miles away.

Go and practice the negotiations with the present set of locals, take the walk. You need negotiation practice.

7. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    Talk to other dealers. You will find deals.

I placed my order was quoted 10 months delivery. Other dealers quoted a year or more. After a couple of weeks, speaking to the dealer I changed my colour and got the car in 4 months. I also got a few hundred Euros of the price, a very good trade in and a very low credit %age.

This is the normal delivery wait in Europe for Toyotas "not so common" cars. My MR2 roadster also took 4 months 3 or 4 years ago.

8. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Three months is average here to order a Prius and they go for MSRP. In my mind,at least I would get what I wanted. :wink: And what about black? Might look cool with flames 8)

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Based on what you've said in the first post, it looks rather steep. A few dollar discount for a car that's a year old and with 10,000kms's worth of hard accelerations and braking as others test the vehicle. I'd wait for a new one. Here in Vancouver Canada, the dealers don't seem to want to negotiate as they adopt the "Access Toyota" prgm (which is basically a no haggle, upfront sales approach to allow fair pricing to everyone). So all I did was gave them the specifications of the car I want and then they would place an order. The car arrived 1mth and 10 days after placing the order.

In short, order what YOU want and not what the dealer wants you to have.

10. senectus

senectus New Member

What is MSRP? Is it like RRP (Recommended Retail Price)?
    heh.. our summers are long, with the average temp in the high 30's low 40's, black would not be a wise choice. :roll:

I'm not very good at screwing down prices.. I'm just not that agressive.. But I'll try.

11. kenmac

kenmac New Member

senectus,
    With the 3 months+ delay there is no chance of getting a special deal.
    I was only able to get a full tank of fuel out of my dealer!
    In your/my city of Perth there are only five dealers handling Prius, and they have to fight over the limited number of Priuses that come in each month.
    It must be salesmens' heaven!
    I don't know if any of the country towns are selling them, but I doubt it - they need to employ specially Toyota trained Prius technicians (more expense) to qualify as a sales outlet.
    So, the well meant advice re shopping around really doesn't apply in our dispersed population situation - it may well apply in the eastern states though.
    If you really want this car, you need to accept the situation and just make a decision on colours and option/non-option.
    I would advise a choice of a lighter colour for our climate - the darker red, black types really suck in the heat and make it harder for the aircon to cope in our 40 degree days.
    Because everyone wants silver or white, they are harder to get and you may have to wait a bit longer them.
    Some add-ons that you probably need to consider are seat covers (for front at least), window tinting, mudflaps, and perhaps headlight/bonnet protection film.
    I had intended fitting door protection mouldings, but decided against it when an industry person advised that it was really a waste of time because of the multitude of different shaped doors that can avoid the strips!
    So, I am just careful where I park.

Be patient -- it's worth the wait (3 months is really nothing compared to some US areas)

kenmac

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    MSRP = RRP = SSP. They all mean the same thing =)

but for the record, MSRP stands for Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price.

Also, just say that if a dealer isn't willing to accept your business, you can always take it elsewhere. Or, if the price is really really non-negotiatable, then ask for free stuff such as oil changes, accessories, or even credit.

13. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    kenmac,

Having been to Perth, I too got a chuckle out of the (good intentioned) idea of trying one of the “rural†dealers.

Perth is one of my favorite cities in the world. Very beautiful and full of friendly people. But it is extremely remote! Perth is the second most isolated population center on the face of the earth. The next closest city with a population anywhere near or above 100,000 is Adelaide . . . and it is 2,000 miles away. Hawaii, the most isolated, is 2,390 miles from California.

senectus,
    I suggest forgoing the “used car†and putting your name on the waiting list for a 2005 with maybe 10 km’s and fresh warranty.

I would then spend the next three months on Rottnest looking for a better deal. :wink: :lol:

14. senectus

senectus New Member

hmm.. I am in a little bit of a hurry.. as the car I currently have is costing more money the longer I keep it.
    I think its getting Jealous.. cause after the test drive I took on Saturday the turbo timer is now playing up :-(
    If I'm not careful she might go "Christine" on me :lol:

15. Widdletink

Widdletink Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE

I just undertook a Prius search of my own. I brought my car home exactly 2 weeks to the day (practically to the minute) that I first ever drove one.

I assure you that from what I am hearing and from what I have seen the story about the wait to get these cars is pretty much the same wherever you go or live. Here in Southern California, a mere 40 minutes from downtown Los Angeles the Prius market is very competitive.

Once I decided what was most important to me (1. Getting a Prius Period, 2. What package/options I wanted, 3. Not paying more than MSRP and 4. Color) I spent hours on the internet and on the phone calling every dealership I could find to see what they had and when they would have what I wanted.

It is helpful if you can walk in to the dealership saying that your financing is already in place (especially if it is) so that you are virtually a "cash" purchase. Also, don't be shy about telling the dealers that you will give your sale (and any subsequent purchases) to whoever can get you what you want the way you want it.

And I agree with the group here. Getting such a minimal discount for a used car is unfair. If you are paying a new car price you should get yourself a new car. Three months is not that long (assuming that it really takes that long) and you will be alot happier if yours is the first bum to occupy the seat.

You might also check to see if there are any online auctions that would fulfill your need. After all, if you are willing to consider buying a used car (no matter what they call it a "demo" is just an overpriced used car) you should be able to get more bang for your buck.

Good luck I am sure your search will be as swift and successful as mine was.

Take care,

Tisza

Millenium Silver '05, Pkg. #3, 49.8 MPG @ 900 on ODO
    Silver door edge guards, Custom painted mudflaps
    "Because He loves Me, that's why..."
    "Prius, the ultimate in Geek Bling"

16. senectus

senectus New Member

Ok well I started ringing other dealers, and I found one with a demo model in the colour we want that _might_ be for sale at $36,500 + transfer costs.
    The car has only been in demo for 2 months so is pretty much brand new.

This is VERY attractive to me..
    according to the toyota.com.au site a new one with that paint is $36,715 + about $4200 for on road costs.

A 2 month old demo model of the same car with only 1500 km on the clock is $36,500 + transfer and stamp duties (about $2200).

now _that_ sounds like a good deal to me...

What do you guys think?

17. Widdletink

Widdletink Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Hi again,

Well, now you are talking! And you do sound a lot more excited about this prospect than you did about the original. I am not very good at the miles/km thing so I don't know how minimal the mileage is but even if it km and miles were the same 1500 is MUCH better than 10,000!

As long as the car still has it's full factory warranty and as long as you will still be able to purchase the extended warranty (I learned here that you don't have to get that the day you get the car you have the full original warranty period to pick it up and you get a much better deal by buying it through PriusChat) it sounds like a go to me.

Good luck once again and please let us all know how you fair.

Take care,

Tisza

Millennium Silver '05, Pkg. #3, 49.8 MPG @ 900 on ODO
    Silver door edge guards, Custom painted mudflaps
    "Because He loves Me, that's why..."
    "Prius, the ultimate in Geek Bling"

18. senectus

senectus New Member

Well we got our finance approval :) so we're going down to see it on saturday :)

Its about a 3 hour drive but worth it I think..

I can't wait.. :lol:

19. Widdletink

Widdletink Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Hi Again,

I am very happy for you. You will have to let all of us know when you have your keys in hand. Be sure to take your camera (silly as that sounds) I was really glad we took ours when we went to pick up my car.

Again, congratulations! I will be holding good thoughts for you on Saturday.

Take care,

Tisza

20. kenmac

kenmac New Member

senectus,
    A 3 hour drive? That's about 200km or more!Where did you find one that far out?
    Or is that just an exaggeration?

Anyway, happy driving!

kenmac