1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying a first Prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by MYKD, Nov 30, 2011.

1. MYKD

MYKD New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All,

My daughter is looking to buy a used Prius so I thought I'd look through the forum. However, with approx. 10K to spend, can anyone give me an idea what we might be looking at?

Also, are there any things in particular to look out for?
    I did notice mention of transmissions, and transaxle lubrication.
    Anything else you guys can offier up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Probably 04- 07? Watch the Toyota dealers as some will be up-grading to the new Prius V and 3's as well. Try to buy a Toyota certified car if you can or from someone you Know. Good luck, Hal

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I haven't price shopped used Prius but you might need to up your budget a bit. I'd limit yourself to used Gen 2 Priuses (model year 04 or newer). Since you're in the SF Bay Area, make sure you get an 04 or newer that was bought, registered and operated in CA or another CARB state so that you have the 10 year/150K mile HV battery warranty and 15 year/150K mile emissions warranty.

(Gen 1s weren't AT-PZEV certified and don't have such a long warranty on the above.) I'd steer clear of a Gen 1 unless certain expensive items that could potentially fail were replaced already...

These links might help:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...-looking-buy-prius-need-info.html#post1351231
    http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...al-equipment-some-countries-2.html#post612688

1 person likes this.