1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying a foreign car?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Zeus661, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Zeus661

Zeus661 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If I buy a Prius how much of that money stays in USA? Anyone have any stats?

2. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Look at the window sticker, it's 100% Japanese, but I still bought one. Camry hybrid has some domestic content and I believe it is assmbled in the U.S.

3. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd like to keep my dollars in the U.S. too, but U.S. companies need to earn it from me, just like any other company would. If there was a Prius equivalent produced by one of the big 3 auto makers, it would be on my list!

ChipL likes this.
  4. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I feel comfortable that Toyota makes a Huge investment in the USA.
    Also dealers make profits and employ American Workers.

5. attyjeff

attyjeff Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The banks that loan you money are in the usa. The car salesman is american. The dealership owner is usually american. The truck driver that shipped it to the dealer is american it goes on and on.

cwerdna likes this.
  6. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you buy a Prius, more money stays at USA vs all that petrodollars going to Arab countries. Case in point: Dubai. There used to be desert there short time ago. Guess who paid for all that? Sadly, all those rednecks driving pickup trucks don't get it.

[​IMG]

retired4999, 2k1Toaster, JMD and 2 others like this.
  7. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)I'm a true blue American. With only one American car in over 30 years, it is, what it is. Win me over Detroit, but time is running out. Remember "all those" rednecks booing when Toyota entered NASCAR. Now they cheer when they win. Keep doing what you do, Toyota.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ... Marketing is also American.

If all that isn't enough, then get a Camry Hybrid. The last I heard, the assembled-in-U.S. Camry (regular non-hybrid) had a higher U.S. parts content than any U.S.-brand car.

ChipL likes this.
  9. WilMent

WilMent diacritic

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    American cars are built all around the world as well, Ford has plants in Mexico and Canada. Chevrolet has plants in Japan, Columbia, Mexico, and Canada. The lists goes on and on, if you want to buy "American" your choices are going to be very limited.

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Yep. OP can look at C&D: Domestic Bliss: A Graphic Representation of What's Really "Made in America" - Feature | PriusChat.

Also yep on friendly_jacek's post. OP can look at Toyota In Action.

Prius is built in Japan but Camry Hybrid is assembled in the US per Toyota Kentucky -|- The Official Website of TMMK. The Domestic Bliss figures mentioned 40% US/Canada part content. Not sure how different that is now.

Per Oil: Crude and Petroleum Products - Energy Explained, Your Guide To Understanding Energy - Energy Information Administration, we import 8.436 million barrels of oil/day which at current prices is ~$807 million/day, flowing out of the country to pay for foreign oil. Most of that resides in volatile regions of the world and/or where the people/govt don't like us much: CIA - The World Factbook and Countries - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA).

Also see Vice Admiral Dennis McGinn: ‘Clean’ Cars are Patriotic | GreenCar.com and Why Buy Electric Cars? Iraq Vet Says: For National Security.

Perhaps if the OP is really concerned, he should buy a Ford hybrid. However, some of them like the Fusion Hybrid are (IIRC) assembled in Mexico.

F8L likes this.
  11. attyjeff

attyjeff Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The statement about oil is a myth. We only import about 30% of our oil. The rest is from the usa. I was really surprised when I found out.

12. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Yes, where you get your oil is changing rapidly. Mostly due to "fracking" and it's only in the last 5 or so years it's changed. Much to the chagrin of Alberta, who want to sell you tar sands oil. Though much of that oil is produced by American and other countries companies. Which brings up another point, which country is a multinational company from? Investors are from all over the world.

It's going to get very hard to be "patriotic" in this multinational world! Probably a good thing.

13. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    30% to much. Greatest wealth transfer is buying overseas oil.

14. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    It is predicted to approach 0% in a few years, again, due to "fracking". So I guess you have to decide which is worse, allowing "fracking" or buying foreign oil. ;)

15. iClaudius

iClaudius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You'll be also surprised to learn it is really 45% of US oil being imported.

How dependent is the United States on foreign oil? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Cost $400B per year.

Better a $76B trade deficit with Japan vs. $400B trade deficit for oil, $200B of that to Middle East religious dicatorships and terrorists.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  16. iClaudius

iClaudius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Or decide what is best, cut US oil use by 50% to match the current 50% more energy efficient Europe and Japan and no fracking and no oil import costs.

rekniht01 and 2k1Toaster like this.
  17. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I hate to ever agree with iClaudius, but he's right on both the above.

How many who 'support' US industry buying big gas guzzling cars (that nobody else in the World buys - ever wondered why?) realise half their fuel costs goes to help countries that hate the western way of life? Every single tank they fill up, half goes to some turd somewhere down the line who pays good money to blow up your soldiers.

If EVER their was an incentive, that's a good one.

2k1Toaster likes this.
  18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The statement about low oil imports is a myth. Despite the recent greatly increased production, and reduced consumption (driven by both conservation and the Great Recession), we still import a lot more than that:[​IMG]

19. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I suspect the difference between your two figures is the almost 3 million barrels a day imported from Canada and over 1 million barrels imported from Mexico.

If you decide that Canada and Mexico are the USA, then we only import 30% of our oil, if you REALLY mean the USA, then we import 45% of our oil.

20. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Routine American mistake.....North America = America.