1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying a new Prius... very excited... please evaluate?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jhardisk, May 17, 2008.

1. Jhardisk

Jhardisk New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi everyone:

Long time reader, and new registree/poster here.

We (my wife and I) have decided that a Prius purchase is my best option in our current vehicle status. Our '04 Vibe was hit in late '06 and had 8k worth of repairs to the front end and inner workings. The car has never been the same. The body work done was fantastic, but we've had issues with the A/C refrigerant leaking out twice. (It's going back to the body shop this week to be "fixed") The alignment has never been the same, and the engine has a little roughness to it. It still easily gets 28-32mpg, but this can't compare with a new Prius.

We want a new car for several reasons: (In no order)

• Obvious Gas Savings
    • Dislike of current Vehicle
    • Environmental Impact of Vehicles
    • Similar sized car for a similar monthly price
    So, we're crunching all sorts of numbers, learning about allocation lists, figuring out what we can afford, etc.. etc..

We had it narrowed down to an '08 with package #2. Great! So, we went to our recommended dealer (from my wife's mother who is a very money-wise person) and he's got us on an allocation list with a $100 deposit. No sweat! The pricing sheet of his typical Prius shipped to this dealership is attached. Is this reasonable, considering that MSRP is pretty much the standard to pay? I shudder to even consider paying MSRP for a vehicle, but I understand supply and demand. I am convinced we'll recoup costs with extended ownership of the Prius.

(The prices on the sheet are not favorable, according to Edmunds.com.)

I'd appreciate any input. I don't want to think this guy is taking us to the cleaners. If he is, how could we combat price jacking if this car is in such high demand?

Thanks so much! (Sorry for the double post.. I know that not all regulars view the newbie forums)

Attached Files:

2. Fraser

Fraser New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The price seems in line, considering your add-ons. We put down a $500 deposit about 2-3 weeks ago, and the dealer has not charged it to our card -- I understand they know we're serious, and I expect your dealer believes you are as well.

Buyers now must expect to pay MSRP and possibly more, depending on the area of the country, and discounts or very limited if they exist. If you're willing to wait for your exact request, perhaps 4-6 weeks delivery or longer, then that's fine. We have given them the colors we don't want (silver and white in that order) and we'll take the next car up with package 2. That put us right up at the head of the allocation list of about 29 that was created mid-week.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I cannot comment on price. I paid MSRP in January of 2004.

But I will comment on options package: In my opinion, safety is too important to skimp on: Be sure you get a package with VSC (vehicle stability control). On ice and snow it makes a great difference.

4. ajp

ajp Guest

I just bought an '08 pkg #2 on May 3rd. The prices had just reached MSRP which was 23,978. I got mine with a military discount for $500 under MSRP and I got the last one in stock at my dealership. The dealer showed me a price list stating that the prices were going up by $400 for the next shipment of the Prius'. The price you showed seems to reflect the $400 increase so I think it's in line with the current pricing.

By the way, I LOVE the car. You can't go wrong with the Prius!

5. Jhardisk

Jhardisk New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We're definitely not going to skip the VSC. Actually, I noticed AFTER I posted that the prices they're selling at are simply MSRP. If it were any other car, I'd never dream of paying it!

I wish we had the military discount here. I'm AD Air Force, and any dealer within 100 miles of my base would never dream of any military discount.