1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying a Prius in AZ this year: 2010

Discussion in 'Prius Tax Credit Discussion' started by AZDriver, Jan 16, 2010.

1. AZDriver

AZDriver New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are there any rebate/tax incentives for buying a Prius in AZ? I have been entertaining the idea of buying a Prius and would like to know if I can get anything for buying a green car. I am looking to buy a used one (don't know if that would make a difference).

2. 2Txns

2Txns New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The dealer did not mention anything to us when we bought our Prius just before the end of the year(Dec 28th). We hope to use the sales tax to our advantage.

Come down to or go on the internet to Avondale Toyota for a great deal with no hassle shopping. We got Toyota financing which was better than USAA's. 5.09% for a used car. The last time that I checked they had 2 used Prius' on the lot - different ones from when we bought ours, though. They have a 2008 and a 2009 model. Ask for Mark B. he is the internet guy.

3. risingsun

risingsun seeker of the way

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    None that I am aware. Dealer had several used ones on the lot here in Prescott last month. I suspect most of them are still there. Then again, I wasn't overwhelmed by the quality of the dealer as a whole, so I would encourage you to check elsewhere in addition to here. If you do come down here, I recommend asking for Paulie as a sales rep when you are looking.

4. AZDriver

AZDriver New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2Txns, I love your signature about the wife!

what do you mean by using the sales tax to your advantage? can you claim it somewhere?

5. AZDriver

AZDriver New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Risingsun, I went to the toyota dealership here in Flagstaff (findlay toyota) and was disgusted by their selling tactics. I'm a young female and went by myself. The salesmen jumped at me like hungry wolves. Before I could put in a word I was done test driving 2 cars and they were getting a 3rd ready. Pushing finance papers, etc. Wayyyy to aggressive for me.

6. risingsun

risingsun seeker of the way

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You may run into issues here in Prescott, but I never felt the hard-sell, high pressure pitch until we were listening to the Finance crap when signing papers. All I got were lies and B.S from that guy. I stood my ground and did pretty well on the price during negotiation, but the paperwork end was ugly and I am still not thrilled with the whole process over a month later. It may have been that way wherever I bought, or maybe not. Not sure I would use them again (my first Toyota, so we are going to evaluate the car for awhile before becoming a loyal repeat customer to the brand), but I did want to keep my sales tax local, so the fact that I got a price I was fairly comfortable with and didn't have to travel to Phoenix (which I have to say I have heard good and bad about as well) is reason enough to tell you not to totally disregard them if you go shopping outside of Flag.

So far, we are very happy with the 2010.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Used car purchases haven't qualified for any tax credits or deductions.

Read through www.carbuyingtips.com, go through the inventories on the dealer websites & contact the Internet sales Depts.

8. 2Txns

2Txns New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    At Avondale Toyota you talk to 1 person the whole time from when you walk in till you are done and drive out. Mark Broughton (from New Zealand), was a great salesman and he gave me the keys to 2 cars to take out for a drive by myself and just asked for me to come back when I was ready to choose one. Once inside, he will show you the CarFax and the price that is on the car is the only sale price that they will go with - no hassling. He asked how much we wanted to put down and then did the credit report which qualified us for Toyota Financing (better than a 720) and we got 5.09% with 0 down and we were $2k upside down on our trade-in. He does not play the game of "Can you put xxx down, how about xxx, maybe I can talk the manager down to xxx". We had an easy 1 person experience and we will go back there again to purchase our next car.

You can collect every receipt that you accrued throughout the year and total up the sale tax that you paid out and apply it to your tax form. Our tax lady showed us that savings hint. Yes, my wife saved every sales slip this year.

9. lizmariecat

lizmariecat New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought used in AZ and it may be sales tax only--this is a backward state after all!