1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying a Prius in September, Any Tips?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by David Thompson- Pomona, Jul 28, 2013.

1. David Thompson- Pomona

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,

My name is David Thompson and I'll be (hopefully) buying a 2010-2012 Prius this September but I'm having some difficulty deciding what my needs are, if you can please give me some guidance that would be great! :)

First...Reasons why I need a Prius: I will be attending graduate school at Cal Poly Pomona, in order to save money (no rent) I will be living with my gf's parents during my school (she will be staying as well, our relationship is very strong fyi). Problem is, they live 50 miles away from the school making my commute 100 miles a day on Mondays/Wednesdays. So my common sense pointed me towards a hybrid. I have driven the Prius after renting one a couple of times and really enjoyed it. I would have gone towards the Honda Insight, but I absolutely hate the cheapness of the car.

Although I know I NEED a Prius, I'm having issues deciding which trim! I would love to have the Prius IV or V with the sunroof, navigation, and 17 inch wheels, but my mind (and my wallet) are reigning me in to go towards a cheaper option of II or III. After looking at the difference of threads, I'm leaning towards a III

1. I listen to music via my iPhone, making the navigation on the IV or V appealing as it has the capability to stream music via Bluetooth, But I could just buy a JabraCruiser (Bluetooth music transmitter) or use the Aux Cord. Did anyone have any issues with this before they bought their Prius? Also, is there great difference between the stock stereo and the JBL upgrade?

2.I rarely speak on the phone while driving, but when I do receive a call, it would be nice to press a button and speak via the car speakers, but I also can use the AUX cord to speak via the car speakers.

3. It would be nice to have a navigation unit in the car, but I have an iPhone 5 with google maps that speaks too me while driving. What are opinions regarding this? Is it necessary to have the nav?

4. How useful is the sunroof in the vehicle. I'll be staying in the San Fernando Valley, and it sometimes gets pretty hot there, would any of you recommend it?

5. Having driven a prius before, I know that I am not in love with the stock headlights, and since i have to commute in the dark (classes get out late) I already know i will be updating the stock headlights to HID lights. For those with the Fog Lights, do you find they provide a better sense of light?

Does anyone have experience with SoCal Dealers providing a great deal on Toyota Prius III or Up? I'm looking for a Prius with less than 45,000 miles (blue, black, red or white)?

I appreciate all the help i can get!!

David

2. stephensprius

stephensprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Hi David,
    Welcome to prius chat. I have a 12 Prius model two. It doesn't have leather, sunroof or nav. I have an iphone for nav and really don't like the nav systems in most cars. My car came standard with Bluetooth phone and music capabilities. It easily syncs up to my iphone and I can listen to stuff on itunes and or what I usually do, Pandora. It also has an AUX jack inside the arm rest to plug in directly. My wife has a 13 Prius Persona. It has the leather seats which are really nice. It also has nav and entune. I find it more complex to use and don't really like it. The design of the Persona which I believe is only available in this current model year is really nice. Comes with oversized tires and rims which are sporty looking, the leather interior with nice red stitching. Both cars are fantastic. We both drive around 15,000 miles+ a year and it's great to get well over 50 mpg. I originally purchased my Prius in Northern CA at Hansel Toyota in Petaluma, CA. Nice dealership. Got a great deal. Much better than here in Minnesota. Just remember, the cheaper the Prius the more money it will save you in the long run. The leather is great though. Just my two cents. Please feel free to ask any other questions!

My prius is light green and grey interior.
    My wife's is black on black. I believe the persona only comes in a black cherry, blizzard white or black. They all have black leather interior. I think the persona fits in between the model two and model three.

Best,
    Stephen

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check with dianne at carson toyota, she's the best around. all the best!(y)

4. HprDad

HprDad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As far as the JBL upgrade, in 2012 it was a big step up from the base system, and came only in the "Four" or "Five" packages. Sure, probably not as good as you could do installing your own, but still a big improvement. Hands-free phone over bluetooth, came in all 2012 models. Full iPod integration came in all models (new in 2012).