1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying a Prius in Vancouver BC

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by georgekessel, Apr 2, 2006.

1. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    We finally decided to trade in our regular car and get a Prius. Now that begs the question of how can I get the best deal on one here in Vancouver BC Canada.

Has anyone had any luck lately? Also should I hold off and order a 2007 (any significant differences coming on the 07)

And of course welcome me to the forum. We've a very green family, we have 2 other vehicles that we run on Biodiesel only including a Smart. We didn't want to get a Prius because it runs partially on Gasoline but then I found out about the plug in conversion. So now the plan is to get a Prius and later we'll conver it to a plug in.

Thanks for any help you can offer :)

Josh

2. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As an update,

I'm considering purchasing one from the USA (in Seattle or Bellingham) so I can get HID headlamps and leather interior plus save $5k on the purchase price. We can't get HID or leather in Canada for some unknown reason :(

Any thoughts?

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Welcome to Priuschat, Ecojosh! Who else could have a Prius bumper sticker saying "My other cars use less gas than this"?

In Vancouver, ask Andrew Grant where he buys his Prius taxis - I reckon taxi drivers are quite cost sensitive.

Can't argue with the -5K$ in WA, but I am not certain than HID headlights are substantially better than the the best quartz halogen bulbs. For example, Sylvania silverstar are brighter than the Toyota OEM part.

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ecojosh @ Apr 3 2006, 08:29 PM) [snapback]234445[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, ecojosh. Welcome to PriusChat.

My thoughts are whether a US model will meet Canadian regulations, if you'll have to pay PST and GST, and how any warranty issues might be resolved. The headlights are pretty good. You might want to be sure you can register it before you buy it. :)

5. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The Prius is on the list as 100% importable by Transport Canada. I will have to add DRL and that's it. I'm a dual citizen so I will still get the $2000 tax credit on my US taxes.

We really want leather seats b/c of excessive dog hair. I'm very familiar with the Silverstar bulbs, I have put them in every vehicle we have in our family that didn't have HID (buying them on eBay is cheapest).

The bigger concern is - don't HID's use up more power then standard bulbs? I wouldn't want those guys burning all day if that is the case. Someone mentioned doing a fog light converstion for my DRL's instead. I wonder if that will be equally as safe (this Prius is to be used for my 16 month old daughter to be driven around).

Anyone have any knowledge of the PHEV conversion coming out of Canada?

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    HIDs are about 30 watts apiece, vs halogen bulbs at 55/60 watts.

7. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Apr 4 2006, 08:36 AM) [snapback]234704[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks - that's great news that they use LESS power :)

Now if I could only find a Black on Gray leather package #7 in northern Washington, I'd be set!

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, they use less. I thought they were 35W though?

The foglights are rather dim so yeah, they should be ok. Just look at the Nissan Murano or Audi A4 that uses foglights as DRLs. Also, you might want to change the foglight bulb as there are reports of cracked foglight covers due to heat. I haven't experience it as mine are rarely on. Another idea is to use the front indicators as DRLs. They have a rather large frontal area so they'll be visible.