1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying a Prius - is Package 3 worth it

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Balkan, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Balkan

Balkan New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi all - I am trying to figure out whether Package 3 is worth it or should I just go with Package 2. Here are the considerations:

Bluetooth: I use an iphone so Package 3 will provide some integration. On the other hand, I currently just plug my iPhone into my car stereo aux input. Are the steering wheel controls that exciting/better? Is the signal much better?

Car Stereo: I'm not an audiophile, but I will not happy with a standard, low-grade car stereo. Will the JBL system be "good enough" or will I still want to upgrade. Note: I don't care about the CD changer - single CD and aux input is all I need. For me the only point of the JBL would be better sound.

Thanks in advance!

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Of course it's up to you. I have all of the toys except leather seats, which I didn't want with our cold climate. I like the Bluetooth interface. It's extremely convenient to have it right there on the steering wheel. The JBL stereo system is better than the basic system, but it still leaves audiophiles cold. It works fine for me, once I got it adjusted to my liking, but it won't shock anyone with how great it is.

Tom

3. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Depends on what you mean by "worth it". I have a touring package 3 & was happy to be able to have integrated XM satellite radio put in (local talk radio gives me high blood pressure). At the time of purchase I had been waiting 6 weeks for a base package 2, but when I saw "Fiona" and I could have her right away, I jumped at the chance.

4. Balkan

Balkan New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks - I guess the question is whether the price justifies the added features that I care about which are: (1) bluetooth connectivity and (2) better sound. I'm guessing that soundwise I could better by buying a package 2 and then upgrading with an aftermarket stereo. The bluetooth connectivity seems pretty cool thought.

Anyways . . . stopped by the dealer today and looks like it will be a no go for me. I don't mind the wait at all, but it seems like there has been a substantial price hike in the last few weeks to the point where the car is just too expensive. (I was quoted $27,500 for option 3 before tax) I may wait and look again in the fall, or otherwise skip the Prius until the next go round.

5. Joekc

Joekc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    One thing to remember about the CD changer is you get player that recognizes data CD's, i.e. plays WMA and MP3 files. Let's say you can get 150 songs on one disk, you can load up to 900 songs in your CD changer. You can also put songs in folders on the disk and sort according to your mood. So you may not use the AUX as much as you think.

Also, the Bluetooth won't improve your iPhone reception. Some of my friends find their iPhones give spotty reception where I live. It will be whatever reception you normally get, excepting the Bluetooth will drain your phone battery faster. I really like the Bluetooth, but most here will say its usefulness varies with the phone.

For me, I wanted PKG 3 at a minimum (wound up with 5) ;)