1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying a Prius next week & have a question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by curlykitty, Sep 20, 2007.

1. curlykitty

curlykitty New Member

I am new to this board so please forgive me if I ask a question that has already been answered. I am interested in getting package #6, but was wondering if anyone knows what this is "...wireless technology, voice-activated DVD navigation system"? Is it a navigation system like a Garmin or is it a way to navigate through the 6 disk dvd system?

Thank you in advance! :D

Curlykitty

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's a GPS navigation system, somewhat like Garmin or other such systems. There has been a lot of discussion on this board about the strengths and weaknesses of the Toyota system. Basically, Garmin does a better job with the user interface and is easier to use, but the Toyota system is built-in and completely integrated with the on-board MFD (multi-function display). We have the Toyota system on our Prius and like it very much. There are things that could be improved, but overall it's good.

Tom

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Curlykitty @ Sep 20 2007, 01:41 PM) [snapback]515419[/snapback]</div>
    bluetooth wireless is an integrated handsfree system for your cellular phone. You first have to pair your phone with the car so that the car can recognise the phone (I believe up to 4 phones can be paired with the Toyota system). Once paired, you may connect the car and the phone and make/receive calls via the car's bluetooth system. You can use voice, steering wheel buttons or the on screen buttons to make/receive calls

The voice-activated DVD navigation system is, well a GPS navigation system. The "DVD" part means that the data and system runs off a DVD. The player is located under the front passenger seat. The player can only read DVD navigation discs and cannot be used to play movies.

The "voice-activated" part means that you can command and control the navigation system via voice commands. For example, if you wish you go home, you can press the "Voice" button on the steering wheel, then say "Go Home". The system will then plot the route and asks for your confirmation. Press the "Voice" button again and say "Confirm" and you will then be taken home. This is useful if you're on the move. Otherwise, you would have the press the DEST button then the HOME button.

see this website for more information. Select the Camry Hybrid iGuide and of course select navigation as your option. You can then browse the menus and see the navigation in action

www.toyotaiguide.com

4. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You can aslo say things like "Japanese food" and it will plop icons on every Japanse restaraunt it finds. "Gas", "bank". Lots of stuff. "Temperature 72 degrees". It doesn't have "MAX COLD" which is too bad because if you want just outside air, you need to set it to MAX COLD and turn the fan on, A/C off. Most radio and climate control features are faster and easier using the buttons on the steering wheel.
    It also seems not to understane me all the time even though I try to speak 'naturally' as it requires. There is no 'learning mode'.

I ended up with a Nav model because the '04s had only 2 packages with side curtain airbags, HID headlights, and VSC. Of course the less expensive package didn't show up much. But in the end, I have found the NAV to be quite useful, even locally. Just make sure you apply some human intelligence. It will make assumptions that may not be what you want and will use the largest nearby road even though a smaller road may be much faster. For instance, if there is an interstate near your route, it will choose to take it, even if you end up going out of your way 10 or 15 miles. You can choose to not have interstates, tool roads, ferries. You can also force a path by adding a 'preferred road' to your route.
    A few things I wish it DID have:
    - 'remembered routes'. If you go somewhere a few times a year, you have to set the preferred roads (assuming the default doesn't cut it) each time.
    - more 'non major' roads at > 700' range. Might be a problem in a place like LA where there are more square miles of roads than 'not roads' but here in VT, there are large stretches where you can't see the 'bigger picture' since most of the roads don't show up until you get down to 700'.