1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying a Prius - What do you think and is this noise normal?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Nate Byrne, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Nate Byrne

Nate Byrne New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey all! I just put $500 down to hold a 2007 Prius with 82k miles. I am purchasing the car for $10,790 before fees/taxes. The Prius appears to be in great condition, though when I step out of the car I notice the engine or something toward the front of the car makes a fairly loud whining or ringing noise. Sort of the noise you hear from some electronics occasionally. My question is is this normal? I am having it looked at by a toyota mechanic this Tuesday but want to hear your tips/input on this and any other things to look for. Also, if the car is being sold 'as is' should it still be covered for battery warranty by CARB state law? I live in MA (a CARB state) Thanks!

2. Nate Byrne

Nate Byrne New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, it makes this noise with the car on and with/without A/C. Also, the A/C wasn't that cold - idk if I was in ECO or not

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes this is normal. It's the coolant pump pumping coolant into the thermos. It does this when the car powers on and off

Some pumps have been replaced due to noise but you are out of warranty for replacement. If Toyota is checking out the car, they can determine if it's too loud or functioning as it should

SM-N900P ?

4. Nate Byrne

Nate Byrne New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks!! Do you have any idea as to how much it would cost to repair a pump if it needed replacement? Just a guess?

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ac shouldn't have any issues at that mileage, there may be a leak. Have the system checked

SM-N900P ?

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Data Daedalus likes this.
  7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You are suppose to hear this pump, it's not silent. I wouldnt worry about this pump.

The ac is a different story

SM-N900P ?

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    AC should be super cold in LO. Why are you buying a car with ac issues and a bad thermos? AC repairs on an 07 can be very expensive.

Join toyota.com/owners site its free and you can check the vin of the car on that site and any service performed on the car by a dealer will be listed there.

Don't be surprised if the dealer quoted big b$$$ to fix the AC and the guy traded it in. Getting very common to see buyers buying a used Prius only to find out the car was at the dealer and needed repairs and was traded in on the spot. Car goes to auction and caveat emptor.

And btw, the 07 has no ECO mode. Thats Gen 3.

uart and Data Daedalus like this.
  9. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't think the Thermos is bad nor do I think the thermos pump is bad.

10. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Is that a steady noise whenever the Prius is in ready mode Nate? Or is it just something that happens for a few seconds after the Prius has just been started or shutdown. If it's a steady noise it may be the inverter. They all make some amount of whining noise when running, but for some reason some seem louder than others.

Agreed. Make sure that the aircon is working 100% correctly before you buy it Nate. Aircon is important on the Prius as the cabin air cools the main battery, and it can be a very expensive repair.

11. Asim Jahangir

Asim Jahangir Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2007 prius, and it makes a similar noise (like someone has a dry cough). I also bought a as is Prius a couple of years ago, and I haven't had a problem with the noise. Its probably nothing.