1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying a used 2013 or 2014 in Canada

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by veames, Aug 9, 2016.

1. veames

veames Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----Canada----
    Hi all,
    I've been saving for a prius for a number of years, and it's finally time to find one (new to me).
    I'm located in Canada and am looking for a 2013 or 2014 model as they fit (barely) into my 20k budget.

A couple of questions for you experts.

1.) 2013 Option packages. They seem really different from the US models. Is there info somewhere that indicates what the base model includes? It seems the dealers are posting widely different options for what they call the base model. Mainly I am curious about the rear camera and bluetooth.

2.) Bluetooth, does the onboard bluetooth include streaming music from my phone to the car?

3.) What do I look for in a 2013/14? Are there problem areas I should be cautious about?

Thanks so much!

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

1.) 3G Prius (2010-2015) Standard and Optional Equipment (Some Countries) | PriusChat

It only goes up to 2013 on the page. I switched over to an Excel spreadsheet at that point so you can download that and it'll give you the full range from 2010-2015 (just click on the tabs at the bottom to go between spreadsheets for different years).

Backup camera and bluetooth handsfree are standard on 2013 and 2014 models. I've attached the brochure for 2013 and 2014 if that's easier than an Excel spreadsheet.

2.) Yes. It was made standard in 2012. (It was only available on the Technology Package for 2010 & 2011).

3.) Not too many issues actually. The current side airbag recall only affects 2010-2012 models... Check the condition of the 12V battery (that's the regular car battery.. the one that runs the radio, windows etc). A 2013 model would be as old as 4 years old and may require changing soon. The 12V battery in the Prius is smaller than a regular car battery so it can be drained more easily. I'm still running on my original (7 years now) but I can tell it's a bit weak. Ensure that the cars are fully inspected by a Toyota hybrid technician. A car that has been sitting out for over a month should have at least been moved to maintain HV battery charge.

Attached Files:

3. veames

veames Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----Canada----
    Thanks so much, this is exactly what I was looking for!